Another day dealing with random buyers - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Another day dealing with random buyers

Not a big deal, but I find this to be quite unorthodox. So I listed my car for sale and received an email inquiry about it from this one individual. Well after exchanging a few text and emails, he then concluded that because of the color of the car (being a bright skittle color), he believe that this would lower the resale value of the car and he would have to spend extra money to have it wrapped. Keep in mind this is factory paint so...

He also held me accountable that because I don't have the dealer window sticker, it would also cause the vehicle to lose value because it doesn't justify/confirm what all package came with the car. With that being said, he's holding these factors against me. Another thing he added is the "cost of shipping the car" to him as an additional factor.

Well for one, if you don't like the color... move on to the next. There are other subtle colored cars on the market for you to choose. What you portray as an obnoxious color may be viewed differently by others. With that being said, that's your personal preference if you don't like it or not. If you want to wrap the car, do it at your expense.

Second, that paper isn't that big of a deal. Any dealership could look it up by the vin and tell your what all packages it comes with. Heck, they may even print that info out for you for free or go order a certificate of provenance. It's not that serious.

Lastly, buyer makes all the necessary arrangements for shipping. You do that at your own expense, not the seller unless the seller offered to. With that being said, this is just another random buyer trying to haggle his way in I guess. He's probably no different from any other person trying to buy a car, still weird nevertheless. Now he's bombarding me with random email nonsense because I told him to go find another car and best of luck lol...
jhentr likes this.

Lotus Evora (Solar Yellow)
Lotus Exige (Aspen White)
Honda S2000 (Silverstone)
Mazda Miata NA (Classic Red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:40 AM

Don't worry about it.
Just keep polite and wait for another buyer who's more reasonable.

Over here in the UAE the whole buying / selling thing is just sooo random.
This applies to buying anything, from tomatoes to cars... there are no 'norms'. I can get exhausting.
90% of the population are ex-pat, everyone has different values and comes from different directions .... a bit like the driving lol.
I just let it wash over me... you only need one buyer :-)
forkmeupscotty and Kienetic like this.

Arabian Elises R US

Last edited by cain-it; 03-09-2017 at 01:43 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 AM

Probably best to just cease communication haha. Buyer sounds like a real treat.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

I stopped communicating. Figured this be something you guys could get a laugh at. I'm at work and this definitely made my day.
XHILR8N! likes this.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
I guarantee that "buyer" doesn't know Jack about Lotus cars. In his eyes it's just a cool looking car that he can pimp around in. I've seen these bloviating tire kickers before. They think that by merely pissing on someone's car-for-sale they will intimidate the seller to let it go at deeply discounted prices.

It is important to review defects between both parties but this can always be done respectfully and it should never be the primary tool of negotiation. Don't worry about being polite. Just tell him that based on his input he wants perfection and choices. In that case he must have the means to buy his cars new so he ought to be shopping at a retail dealership instead of wasting time insulting honest used car owners who are selling their own vehicles.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
I laugh at people who consider a depreciating asset (ie a Car) to be an investment and obsess over "value". It's a car, not a pallet of gold bullion.

The only thing funnier to me is those who obsess over gas mileage so they can save, you know, $25 per year on fuel costs.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

His direct response:

Thanks for the help so far in providing information -- some thinking on the Evora:

* Missing original itemized dealer window sticker with package options list will effect resale value
* High number of owners will effect resale value. I will be the 4th or 5th owner according to Carfax
* Flashy color will effect resale ability
* Personal preference for more conservative car colors (wrap can solve this but more money)
* Location ó Iím in Chicago, I would either need to travel down to Mississippi and drive the vehicle back up or ship it up here. Additionally I canít easily look at the car in person or test drive it.

Official documentation of the optional OEM packages included at the time of sale from the dealer absolutely effects the resale value of an Evora. The Evora is a specialty car, not a Honda Civic ó practically every other ad for the Evora includes either the window sticker or the Certificate of Provenance. Official documents prove OEM packages were installed at the time of purchase, not aftermarket.

A flashy color effects the resale ability of the car. Yellow makes up 0.50% of cars for a reason ó people prefer conservative (black, white, silver) colors over flashy colors.

A buyer can make arrangements to acquire the vehicle, but the Evora is a buyers market not a sellers. Direct competitors, like Caymans, are more desired than Evoras. Better value for the price ó a 2014 Cayman S with 20k miles is available for what youíre asking.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
I guarantee that "buyer" doesn't know Jack about Lotus cars. In his eyes it's just a cool looking car that he can pimp around in. I've seen these bloviating tire kickers before. They think that by merely pissing on someone's car-for-sale they will intimidate the seller to let it go at deeply discounted prices.

It is important to review defects between both parties but this can always be done respectfully and it should never be the primary tool of negotiation. Don't worry about being polite. Just tell him that based on his input he wants perfection and choices. In that case he must have the means to buy his cars new so he ought to be shopping at a retail dealership instead of wasting time insulting honest used car owners who are selling their own vehicles.
I kept it polite and adult like. Gave the guy full disclosure on the car, not holding anything back. If I was to buy a car, I would want a full 100% disclosure as well. Just passing it forward. Halfway into exchanging email after I told him this wasn't the car for you and best of luck, he started to go on the offensive. No response from him yet, so I guess that means he is done?

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 AM

Just put a filter on his email to immediately delete. Not worth dealing with. If it's priced fairly, it will sell. If it's not, then you need to reduce the price or deal with knuckleheads.
Good luck.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Love Lotus!

Yeah, just imagine what might happen after the sale with a buyer like that. I can see him coming back and blaming you for anything that may go wrong with the car later on.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

All good. I know a troll when I see one so I don't mind toying around with him to keep me amused. I usually don't get good laughs like this often because I'm always trying to be an adult when deep down I'm not lol. If the car doesn't sell, by all means I'm not hurt. I'll keep driving my car the way it is meant to be. Unlike others, I don't keep my toys locked up. This is just one of the better random certified YouTube Hagglers just trying to get a Lotus.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienetic View Post
A buyer can make arrangements to acquire the vehicle, but the Evora is a buyers market not a sellers. Direct competitors, like Caymans, are more desired than Evoras. Better value for the price ó a 2014 Cayman S with 20k miles is available for what youíre asking.
Then why is he shopping for an Evora in the first place? What a tool!

Send him a link to a bunch of Porsche dealers and tell him to rip away at their cars. Porsches are riding a really inflated price bubble right now so he'll have even more fun trying to low-ball and insult sellers in that market.

People like this don't grasp that every major sale depends on trust and respect between two parties. That guy is working an old-school, back street, seller intimidation approach that never really worked back in the day.

You'll eventually sell that nice Evora at a fair price to someone who really wants it and very probably to a gentleman.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Based on his logic, I can see Krypton Green as a depreciable attribute because it's too flashy. With that being said, KG should be the cheapest car on the market because production number is far less than yellow (makes up 0.50% production volume based on his info) therefore shouldn't be a "premium" tag on it, if anything... it should be greatly discounted.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:04 AM

I get the feeling he wants the car, but is angling for any sort of route to try and negotiate. He probably really likes the color and wouldn't even consider wrapping it.

He's just not going about it the best way.

I've actually had one person similarly try and trash a car I was selling...only to end up paying over asking price when I told him I have two offers waiting.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Garage
When I was trying to sell my Corvette I actually had a guy tell me that I had to lower my price so that he would be able to make enough profit on the flip to make it worthwhile for him.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Really funny about the color. I'd say about half the compliments I receive about my Elise are about the Saffron Yellow being a great choice for this kind of car.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage
Gosh, I guess he really did not like it at all then?

I would have difficulty not giving him some reality therapy. I guess you did in your own way.

GLWS man.

L O T U S
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:17 PM

I'm in Chicago and I apologize we are nothing like this character.
It sounds like he just can't afford the car. Next time he contacts you tell him due to all the inquiries I have received its now going for ( add a few thousand to your previous cost)
If he buys it you just made an extra profit for dealing with him.

In terms of color I will admit I love the krypton green but it may stick out like a sore thumb. But then again I perhaps may be missing the point.
The car itself will get attention on its own so why not go balls deep with a loud color.

Is that your general impression of the louder colors?

Sorry I'm a n00b and the brightest color I've had was a lazer sky blue on a 300zx which was safe for me.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 PM

People love the skittles colors on Lotus cars. I also think it's a misguided attempt to get a lower price.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

lol the guy just emailed me back saying he just bought a silver one and is supposedly picking it up soon. I guess I made it clear that his tactic in trying to pick at the value of the car was a complete joke lol. It prompted him to respond back thinking I should of accepted his low ball offer.

Quite frankly, I don't care if my car sells lol. I'm having way too much fun with it 😂. I only posted just to make it aware that it's on the market. I'm not even pushing for it to sell otherwise it'll be on eBay, autotrader, Facebook, and etc. if I'm desperate, I'll hit up Craigslist too lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in