Any Recommendations on a Charleston SC Customs Broker? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Any Recommendations on a Charleston SC Customs Broker?

Currently in the process of importing a vehicle over 25 years old into Charleston SC. Wondering if anyone in the forum has done this previously and has a recommendation on a customs broker to use. Any and all advice appreciated even if you had experience importing into another US port.

p.s. - The car make does uniquely match the forum community. Pictures to be posted after the car arrives on US soil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM

What's the shipping container number? I'll make sure she finds her way to you, wink wink.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Many years ago I imported an E-type Jag into Newark NJ and did not use a broker, handled it myself at the port of entry. I presently import automotive tools from UK and use a broker in Orlando. I have imported into Orlando, Palm Beach, Ft.Lauderdale, Miami, Newark, & Kennedy. If you have any specific questions, I will try to help.
Cheers,
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by hethel_haus View Post
Currently in the process of importing a vehicle over 25 years old into Charleston SC. Wondering if anyone in the forum has done this previously and has a recommendation on a customs broker to use. Any and all advice appreciated even if you had experience importing into another US port.

p.s. - The car make does uniquely match the forum community. Pictures to be posted after the car arrives on US soil!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 AM

I'm shipping out my federal Elise (along with my personal belongings) next week in a 20-foot container. My stuff is going to Baltimore, and I'm using Pride International. My interactions so far have gone very well and they seem to be very diligent and professional.

Unfortunately, it appears they only do this for Baltimore, so maybe it's not useful unless you don't mind a little road trip. My understanding is it's not easy to do clearance on your own, as even access to the ports are now quite restricted for security and safety reasons. I think I'll end up paying $300-400 for clearance and related fees, and then $500 to have the container trucked to my house near Washington.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM

I've only imported parts through Norfolk Airport. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. In one case a customs broker gave me a choice. Fill out this form and take it to the customs or I'll do it for you for $40.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:06 AM

I know this post is 7 years old but i am looking to import a car through the port of Charleston as well. How did this work out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in