Blue Angels - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Blue Angels

Having known a few Blue Angels in my time, they are definitely my heros.

So I thought that I would share these photos with you.

Enjoy!

over the WTC twin towers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 AM

I've seen them, they are great.

Ask them about the treadmill....

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:23 AM

while i was floating in my raft at water survival down in pensacola i remember watching them practice thinking they were the luckiest son of a bitchest ever. very cool stuff.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:03 AM

I've seen them many a time. The first time was in Hawaii at Barbers Point NAS. The outer edge of the flight area was pretty close to my townhouse perched on the side of Makakilo, so I would see and hear them zip by the house when practicing and then go down on base and watch the show from on top of our building next to the hangar. It is always a rush seeing them perform. I like the maneuver where two come in opposing, very low, and roll at the last possible moment. I also like when they snap over right after takeoff and climb under max power inverted.

I believe they began at Jacksonville NAS, where I work. There's an old Blue Angel jet right outside the gate.

It is all about "Other".
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope
while i was floating in my raft at water survival down in pensacola i remember watching them practice thinking they were the luckiest son of a bitchest ever. very cool stuff.
There's a whole lot more serious hard work then luck going on here. These guys pay a pretty serious price to get to do this.

I always get a little sentimental and patriotic whenever I see any of our military branches put on these air shows. They are truly amazing to watch. Their discipline and precision is awe-inspiring.

Great Pics!
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 AM

Seen 'em a bunch, usually while floating in a $2.99 inflatable donut in pensacola harbor drinkin' like a fool with all the other rednecks!

Doesn't seem to matter how many times I see them, I love it more every time!
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 AM

Garage
I nearly got to fly with them I used to cover a local Kentucky Derby event called Thunder Over Louisville which includes a large airshow. They were giving rides to local media, but I ended up getting stuck with another assignment that day.

I ended up flying with the Red Baron Stearman Squad instead. It was pretty fun. All my flight hours are logged in a cessna and when we inverted we had to do boring constant gravity rolls to try and not mess up the gyro and gravity fed engines kind of suck too .

The stearman didnt have that problem. Open cockpit, parachute on, doing hammerheads and looops. GOOD TIMES. I'd love to get a tail dragger rating.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTMX5
There's a whole lot more serious hard work then luck going on here. These guys pay a pretty serious price to get to do this.

I always get a little sentimental and patriotic whenever I see any of our military branches put on these air shows. They are truly amazing to watch. Their discipline and precision is awe-inspiring.

Great Pics!

Did you get a chance to see them maybe it was in 2000 (probably when that pick was taken with them by the WTC) over Coney Island?

It was a nice show. The thunderbirds were at a show last summer at Jones Beach which was even better b/c it featured them along with acts like the F-15 (most incredible plane...sounds badass), F/A-18E Super Hornet along with some great private aerobatic acts. Hopefully they will do it again this year.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 AM

Awesome pics! I saw one doing a pre-airshow inspection at a military base and when he departed he performed a low-level 90 degree bank 180 degree turn over the runway. I would of swore the airplane was going to fall out of the sky, it almost looked liked it stopped mid-air and turned around. Always a great show of American Military power and performance!

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM

One of my best "timing" situations occurred on a flight I was working into Syracuse airport. Immediately after landing I was told the airport was now closed . Evidently the Thunderbirds where now to perform I was initially scheduled to depart SYR in 30 minutes operating as a USAirways flight back to BWI. Instead I had to inform the passengers that we were going to be delayed at least another hour. After the dirty looks I received I went out in the ramp area and got to watch them practice for an hour while I ate lunch lol. It was a lot of fun and a did not mind the delay one bit.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:08 PM

I've seen them perform a couple of times. Those guys are insane. Incredibly skilled, but still insane!
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM

They are all regular Navy pilots who serve short year tours with the Blue Angels, then go back to doing normal duty. It is all about precision communication and control. I wonder if it is even what you would call fun.

It is all about "Other".
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTMX5
One of my best "timing" situations occurred on a flight I was working into Syracuse airport. Immediately after landing I was told the airport was now closed . Evidently the Thunderbirds where now to perform I was initially scheduled to depart SYR in 30 minutes operating as a USAirways flight back to BWI. Instead I had to inform the passengers that we were going to be delayed at least another hour. After the dirty looks I received I went out in the ramp area and got to watch them practice for an hour while I ate lunch lol. It was a lot of fun and a did not mind the delay one bit.
Oops........got ya beat...... we landed at the base they practice out of in CA. Got to watch them all afternoon.....uhh..VERY up close..

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:16 PM

Ahem...photo credits?

ed

Magnetic Blue/LSS Delivered: 1/13/05
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHahn
Ahem...photo credits?

ed
Yeah Paula..........where were you when you took those air to air shots ??

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Once upon a time, when I was young and breathless, I worked at a smallish city airport annex doing tech illustration. My window overlooked the runway.

The Airport had a restaurant that was private, and I ate there most days. It just so happens that various Blue Angels would stop by for lunch from McDill, and I got to know them and dated some of them. One daring fellow invited me for a ride in a trainer jet (two seater) and snuck me into the whole flyer attire, and into his jet and took me for a ride.

Well, I would love to say that it was pleasant, but it was not. He was trying to impress me, and did all those breathtaking manuevers (over the gulf), of course, I had no idea which way was up, down, or sideways, and I was very airsick. it wasn't pretty... It was very intense.

The ride in the AV8B Harrier was completely different. And it was fun! But of course we weren't doing the upsidedown, straight up, loops, and rolls thingies, just straight flying. I spent 13 years in Aerospace, and it gave me a lot of really cool opportunities.

I was sort of a Jet groupie...

z
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zOOmz
I was sort of a Jet groupie...

z
Kind of a turbofan?

Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:36 AM

You dated a few Blue Angels? I knew they like to do everything in close formation with each other, but in bed?

It is all about "Other".

Last edited by Beanie; 02-03-2006 at 04:25 AM.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

They wished they coulda been so lucky...

One guy was so shy he could barely talk to me. Studly is a movie thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in