Considering Tesla Model X - thoughts? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Considering Tesla Model X - thoughts?

My wife is tired of her mini van and considering a Tesla Model X. I’m looking for feed back from somewhere other than their forums. We have talked to a few people we know with one and everyone seems to be thrilled with theirs. Any here have one that could provide feedback for or against? Any big items to watch out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:41 AM

A company I use for work stuff, the owner has a model x

His ONLY complaint with the vehicle is the range. His is a early one and stated the only way to get manufacturer distance out of a charge is windows up, no heat/ac/radio and either no wind or a tail wind.

Stated ac and heading the distance per charge drastically drops off.

He put a charging station in at his work due to the concern of running out of juice

That’s his only complaint
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:49 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

There are several Tesla Model X owners around by me here in Pinellas County FL. and I have had the opportunity to meet a couple of them. One was a woman (with 9 year old son) who was parked next to my Elise. As we were leaving the library together and realizing where we were headed, we started talking about our cars. Her pride of ownership in the "X" was over the top as she couldn't wait to demonstrate the Falcon door operation to me. It was a 2018 (entry level trim) and she had owned it for four months at the time. According to her, it left nothing to be desired. Her first Tesla replacing a Nissan Murano. The other is a friendly German fellow that comes to Dupont Registry's Cars and coffee with his Model X and his buddy with a Model S. They do a big show and tell to promote their enthusiasm for the cars (once again pride of ownership bursting at the seams) and present the automatic demonstration feature for the crowd, emphasizing the storage compartment under the hood/bonnet area. Of the three, none have admitted to having any issues with their vehicles from day one.
One review point (KBB) that resonated with me is: "As is often the case with pure-electric vehicles, the Model X's resale value drops off more steeply over time than most others".
Also, you have to ask yourself: (From the NY Daily News review, 2018) "The Tesla Model X’s base trim level, the 75D, starts at $79,500. The fully loaded P100D model I drove came out to $171,500". How far down the Tesla rabbit hole do you want to go ?
IMHO: If you're in the position not to even consider the cost, it's a must have. However, if your just looking to upgrade your wife from the minivan life, A Porsche Cayenne or Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe are nice fuel based alternatives.
P.S. Motortrend say's: "It’d be a better SUV without the falcon doors, the monopost seats, and the windshield" (Long/slopes into a partial sunroof).
Attached Images

Shhh...Secret Squirrel

Last edited by 3carmonte; 11-25-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: typo correction

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:29 PM

I drive a Model S, my wife a Model X. They are amazing vehicles in just about every way. Did you have any specific questions/concerns?

As to price, I definitely recommend looking used. My two vehicles have a combined sticker price of about 300k, but have lost half their value in their short lives (2015/2016). Whether that kind of depreciation is a good or bad thing depends on if you're the first or second owner!

-05 NFB Elise with stripes for performance and a REV300 for looks.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Thanks guys. No specific questions, everything we have heard is positive and really hard to believe everyone loves them so much is all. My wife really wants an electric vehicle again and needs room for our young kids and their friends/toys/sports. We have price shopped used vs. new with this year’s tax rebates, not a huge difference for the options she “needs”. Not looking forward to the depreciation but maybe she’ll actually keep this car a while.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:10 PM
`08 Elise-SC-220

LostPawn Happy hunting!

Shhh...Secret Squirrel
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm not sure where you've shopped used Model X's, but be sure to check out the Tesla Motors Club forums (private sales) and ev-cpo (CPO cars directly from Tesla).

Get the biggest battery you can afford. Aggressive driving, larger wheels, and cold weather can all take a big bite out of the advertised range.

Beyond that, they really are great vehicles. Performance. Technology. Efficiency. Maintenance (or lack thereof). The list goes on.

-05 NFB Elise with stripes for performance and a REV300 for looks.

Last edited by JamesAllen; 11-24-2018 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:43 PM

Garage

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:35 PM

We bought Model S v1.0 in 2013. It hasn't exactly been a wonderful experience.

The good part is that it's an electric car that delivers substantial range and the on-road performance is very practical. Battery degradation is also pretty good with most people seeing less than 20% range loss.

Unfortunately, the build quality (at least on our car, and some subsequent loaners we've had) really isn't super great. I can really deal with that, but service is really where the let down is for us - I can accept that I'm buying what is essentially a beta product (and reliability isn't going to be Toyota-level), but at least support me when something goes wrong. They've basically denied repairing our two door issues (among some other, smaller issues we have).

The first issue was that our doors freeze shut with only light icing. We basically have this happen every time the car gets wet during the day (think: that light rain that you get over a few hours) and the temperature drops to freezing at night. It looks like the lower weather strip on the window soaks up water and freezes to the window. That means the window can't move to open the door (frameless windows need to dip down to clear the top seal). I should emphasize that there is no ice buildup on the door at all.

The second was more recent; when the window is more than an inch open, one of our rear doors basically won't open unless you open it a certain way (unlatch and push at the same time) because of the way the latch works. It isn't fun having my 80-year old mother getting stuck in the back seat when it happens. Even though I reproduced the issue to a Tesla service rep and one of their techs, I was basically told we need to live with it.

We have the extended warranty too. I mean, how would you feel when you have to crawl in through the trunk and then get told everything works like it should? Even after you hand over like $4500 (I don't remember the specific amount we paid)?

Also, the confidentiality clause in the MVPA we had to sign wasn't so exciting.

As much as we'd like to upgrade to a newer model, dealing with support (and the lack thereof) has really soured us on Tesla. The next electric car we buy is likely a Porsche.

Because of the nature of a lot of Tesla fans, I feel like I need to disclose that I hold no direct positions in Tesla (mutual funds and the like that I own may have investments in Tesla, but I haven't checked the portfolios in a long time).

Forgot to mention: I also hate the electro-mechanical brakes on the newer models. The hydraulic ones on our older one feel so much more progressive. If you've ever ridden mountain bikes with mechanical vs hydraulic disc brakes, it's kind of like that.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff

Last edited by gray; 11-24-2018 at 07:42 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:33 AM

I don't own one, but have nothing against them. It seems a number of articles mention that the usable cargo space is below other vehicles of similar size and design, as is space for small items. Tesla typically cites only the max cargo space, i.e., all seats down, and due to the high roof line, the X seems to generally exceed most similarly-sized vehicles. But when comparing to others whether the second or third row in place (if so equipped), the comparison seems to reverse. Not sure if utility is important in terms of cargo space, but perhaps something to consider.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
@gray - sorry to hear about your issues but thanks for sharing. We have heard about some freezing issues and the doors not working, have not heard about that in the X yet. Still troubling to hear about how Tesla has not worked to solve the issue though.

While the X does not have the room the minivan does, we have done an extended test drive and it had enough room for a normal day of activities.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 AM

I have a Model 3 and love it, but obviously cannot speak to the X specifically. I will say though that my interaction with Tesla as a company has been fantastic, literally years ahead of any other company in areas like communication, purchase process, and service. I'm only mentioning this because Tesla is under a deluge of negative pressure from people who typically do not even own Teslas yet really want them to fail. I don't understand the Tesla hate myself, it's an American car company yet they get zero support from people who would otherwise scream Buy American! Hopefully when the Tesla pick-up comes out some of those people will see the light but I'm not holding my breath.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:55 AM

When I can do a 375 mile trip without a fukn 30 minute recharge, I will consider. Before that, great commuter car, but not a touring car.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:45 AM

Someone who would know told me to never buy a model X. I know that is vague etc but I can't give much more detail then that.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
When I can do a 375 mile trip without a fukn 30 minute recharge, I will consider. Before that, great commuter car, but not a touring car.
I dunno, but only do such a thing every couple years in my DD.

375 miles without stopping to eat?

Shrug
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Someone who would know told me to never buy a model X. I know that is vague etc but I can't give much more detail then that.
Feel free to PM me some details. I am sure many people that are somehow involved with any car manufacturer would recommend not buying what they produce either.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:56 PM

I know one Tesla S owner. Her and her husband absolutely love the car and have used it for many trips north and south along the East coast.

The only issue they had was that the big LCD screen failed while up here in Canada and they had to go back to the US to have it replaced. That process took about 2 weeks I think and during that time many of the normal functions did not operate. I'm not sure which ones exactly, but I think that included adjusting the A/C or heating levels and maybe the open/close window functions. Nevertheless they are super keen on their car and they do get the huge advertised range. They live in Florida.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Topshelf commuter cars but not touring cars due to lack of range and recharge time which sucks for all electric vehicles. Unless retired and in NO hurry about getting anywhere, they just aren't ready to say drive from New England to Florida. Hell they can barely make it from NY to Boston!
Dylan likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Thanks everyone for the input.

My wife went ahead and picked one up, not the huge battery version but big enough. She's thrilled with it and it will not be used for much more than commuting and taking the kids around in. It might make a trip or two to the mountains for skiing but that should be within range at 140 miles round trip, but with traffic it can be a few hours. There is a charging place up there so I'm sure that will make it into the trip plans.

I'll let everyone know my thoughts after we have it for a while.

I did get to drive it over the weekend briefly and it was cold and slightly snowing. I'm not sure if I'm just picky or if I just have a way of finding faults. Granted I'm not familiar with all the car's settings so these items might be fixable... The car has automatic wipers that don't exactly work with dirty snow being flung on the car from the car in front, no big deal. The issue is that if you have the automatic wipers on this disables you from being able to select the intermittent wiper setting. You can turn off the automatic wipers and then the intermittent wiper setting works but this just seems dumb to me. The other issue I had was related to tire pressure sensors. It was cold and as expected the warning for low tire pressure was triggered. No big deal in most cars but in the Model X this means that 1/3 of your dash screen now shows a picture of the car with all four tire pressures. The real issue is this is the part of the screen that was also showing my navigation destination so my turn by turn map went away. The big screen still showed the map but it is so far zoomed out I'll miss the next turn. So check the manual to see how to get rid of that warning, yeah the manual is electronic and on the only screen currently showing my destination. Perfect. Google to the rescue. There is a simple way to turn off the warning by pushing the two scroll buttons on the steering wheel. I'm back on my path with GPS working great. Then the warning comes back on for some random reason but I know how to turn it off quickly now. I kid you not, I had to clear this warning screen over 20 times within a half hour. While my wife loves the car this was beyond annoying, if this had happened to me on a test drive for a car I was purchasing it would have been a deal breaker.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Topshelf commuter cars but not touring cars due to lack of range and recharge time which sucks for all electric vehicles. Unless retired and in NO hurry about getting anywhere, they just aren't ready to say drive from New England to Florida. Hell they can barely make it from NY to Boston!

what a ridiculous statement

unless you are a traveling salesman you will rarely push the limit in the car

what percentage of people drive from Boston to NY every week?

My Exige can barely get to NY on a tank

Range is simply not a problem

the time to charge is a problem, but again most people, most of the time will never visit a charging station
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in