Dash Cam Videos - What have you seen? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By +TSRAGR
  • 1 Post By Obeisance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Dash Cam Videos - What have you seen?

There are quite a few threads where people ask/show and tell "what dash cam should/do I use."

There are also a handful of threads where people show off HPDE/track day/autocross videos.

I'm starting this thread as a collection point for sharing videos of interesting observations, experiences or events captured while driving on public roads.

To start things off, here's a video of someone on a sport bike who seems to act weird around the lotus (but maybe this person always drives like this):

He drove next to me and revved a bunch, then kept looking back at me after passing. Then he passes other cars by splitting lanes (no bueno in MI).

What have you seen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 01:35 PM

I've seen a tire blow out on Lake Shore Drive (was kinda funny, and I wasn't super surprised it was off an RX300) last week and a highway impact with a shovel that probably fell of a truck (yesterday).

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Will work for tires

Garage
I had the exact same experience with a sports bike the week after I picked up my Elise. Was going the speed limit (45mph) in moderate traffic when he pulled up next to me, revved to the limiter on his bike a couple times, then proceeded to do an 1/8th mile wheelie getting up to what look to be about 90 mph. Risky darting through traffic in my new toy was not appealing so I let him go. He slowed up to wait for me, did the exact same thing again, and then slowed down one last time so he could stare at me until I had to make my turn off that street. Wish I had a dash cam video to share.

'06 Laser Blue Elise: Sport and Touring Pack

Elise/Exige Production Numbers

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Sold my Exige S

I've had a sports bike since '09 and just give thumbs up to nice cars. These d-bag bikers want our attention. It's akin to an animal's mating ritual to impress a candidate. You should feel flattered!
glb likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:36 AM
Such moderate

Garage
I had a kid on camera almost get hit by a car crossing train tracks like it was a crosswalk. He though people would just yield to him and he almost got hit by a truck. Unfortunately my camera for some reason didn't save that video. Other than that, I've only caught a few fender benders, and a couple of people texting and running off the road.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Watch out for those blind spots!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 AM

I have a Smartycam which is primarily for gathering and analysis of track data to better your performance driving, but it stores many hours of video, and can be set to "loop" just like a standard dash cam. It is 100% hands free... however (luckily?) I have never captured close calls or anything on the street... I have had a camera in my car since a few months after new. I did catch some funny conversations about the car while it was parked however. Anyway, all my stuff is track related (IMO entertaining and plenty of close calls at the track <Click here to view>).

I did find a close call on the web once. I think it was a member of this site... someone was changing lanes into their lane - I recall thinking if they didn't have the Lotus their reaction would not have been nimble enough to get out of the way. If I find it I will post it up. Meanwhile here is someone else's Lotus close call video:

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

A close one! Whew... also there's nothing interesting past 23 sec, I just don't have video editing software. I wonder how different this would have been if I were in the elise.

SufjansWasp likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 04:52 PM

Typical knucklehead Michigan driver. You did well not cussing at this person....I don't have that kind of self control!

06 Lotus Elise: Ardent Red, Sport+Touring, ShiftR111, S111 TransCables, LETSLA, Driving lights
02 Honda S2000: Spa yellow, Berk Hi-flow Cat, Alpine head unit, Focal speakers
09 Honda Civic EX Coupe: Stock winter bomber
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Lately, I've been getting a lot on the dashcams. After getting rear-ended a few times, my cars are pretty well equipped with video gear.

I've got quite a few videos of people speeding down the left-turn lane area of a divided 4-lane street in order to pass traffic.

Lost a video last month of a Jeep driver overtaking me on the right of a single lane (literally, this person turned right into the same lane behind me and then proceeded to floor it to pass me).

Saw a semi-truck smoking like crazy like it was on fire a few months ago.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 04:49 AM
442nd RCT - Go For Broke!

Was on my home from work a couple mornings ago in my daily. Like the description says, the light turns green and then... Not sure what he was thinking.

(Edit to add: No audio - I don't have audio enabled by default on my dashcam.)

2005 Krypton Green Elise
2016 Blue Reflex Mica Mazda 6 GT
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I also want to vent a bit on this thread. Commuting can be such a pain. I am certainly not a perfect driver and have put others in tricky spots in the past, so I guess I deserve some misfortune. That does not make it any more enjoyable.

I suppose I could have swerved to the other lane to avoid this guy. At least I had enough straight line braking power to avoid a collision. His non-commitment to enter the road is dangerous.

In this case, I ended up in the truck's blind spot after he started to pass me and he suddenly decided that it was time for a lane change. If you find this post before the YouTube video editor has shortened the clip, jump to about 1:10 - 1:55 to view my complaints.

If it seems like my following distance is excessive, note that the wide angle lens on the camera distorts perception: try counting the number of seconds between me and the car in front - it'll usually be 2-3 seconds.

One of these days I won't make it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in