F1 results - don't read if you don't want it spoiled. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

F1 results - don't read if you don't want it spoiled.

I'll let this picture do all the talking:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 AM

You don't cheer for Williams? Fairly entertaining race and some more accidents than usual. Spa is pretty amazing.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Evl

Someone needs to post a pic of JPM passing Schumacher in the bus stop. Too bad he couldn't pull it off twice to get by Trulli cleanly.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I do cheer for Williams - but I've always liked the McLaren/Mercedes team as well, and Raikkonen is an incredible driver. BMW-Williams didn't have such good luck
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:23 AM

FORZA FERRARI!!!!!

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:57 AM

You don't really need to post spoiler, schumi always wins, boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's not about the racing, it's about the technology and pit stop strategy. Tractor pulls are more exciting.

Wait, I just checked someone besides schumacher won, did he fall asleep at the wheel?
Chris

Chris
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:09 AM

To me it seemed like it wasn't the McLaren being faster, but the Ferrari being slower due to qualification setup.

In any event, 700th ferrari start and 7 world championship for MS

Anybody knows what happened to Montoya's investigation when he took trulli out in fustration? I hope they make him take 10 positions down next race.

Poor McLaren, now that they are doing better, they don't know what they are getting into by having Montoya as a driver
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:10 AM
insert clever title here

Chris, agreed, it's not usually a question of who will win, but I find the race for second place to usually be quite entertaining. This last race was actually fun to watch. I kept expecting Kimi's car to retire in a cloud of white smoke, I can't believe he pulled off a win.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
In any event, 700th ferrari start and 7 world championship for MS

Great. Now he just needs to retire at the end of the season so I don't have to curse his smug ass every single race next year.

My mom (who's here visiting her new granddaughter!) and I were watching the race and we howled when JPM passed Schumi... and were biting our nails for the last 15 laps... but Kimi pulled it off.

It would have been a better/closer season if Jenson/Kimi would have had less technical problems/finished more races...

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Evl

Quote:
Anybody knows what happened to Montoya's investigation when he took trulli out in fustration? I hope they make him take 10 positions down next race.

Poor McLaren, now that they are doing better, they don't know what they are getting into by having Montoya as a driver
http://www.homeoff1.com/news/item.aspx?id=8000

"No action required". I agree with them... it seems to me he already proved he _could_ do it, he just didn't pull it off the second time. Call it an honest racing mistake. It wouldn't hurt F1 to have more drivers pushing the limit and passing creatively.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:40 PM

If you were to remove Ferrari from the races this have been an awesome year for F1. Too bad that Ferrari has completely overshadowed F1. I'm a Williams / JPM fan but I still love the Ferrari's. Think about it, Williams & Mclaren are doing crap this year while BAR and Renault sprung to the top. All the exciting stuff is happening behind Ferrari.

Schumi is the best driver ever but I do wish he would retire and let the others step up. JPM, Trulli, Button, etc all are fun as hell to watch. JPM is a crazy driver. Wish I had some of his skills.

What's up with Renault? Where did they come from? Last year ok but this year they are rocking! Someone must have stuck something in those French guy's wine to get them together so well.

2004 CONSTRUCTOR STANDINGS
(after Hungarian Grand Prix)

1 Ferrari ....... 216 pts
2 Renault ...... 91
3 BAR ............ 83
4 Williams ..... 54
5 McLaren ..... 49
6 Sauber........ 28
7 Toyota ....... 10
8 Jaguar ........ 9
9 Jordan ........ 5
10 Minardi ...... 1
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkSolNow he just needs to retire at the end of the season so I don't have to curse his smug ass every single race next year.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotus Fury
Schumi is the best driver ever but I do wish he would retire and let the others step up.
I couldn't disagree more. I'm a Michael Schumacher fan, but I would rather one of the other drivers take the fight to him and challenge him for the world title, rather than him bow out with his competition so far behind him. If he did that, we the fans would be left wondering if Raikkonen or Button or Alonso or whoever became dominant were really good enough to be world champion, or if they were still just the 'best of the rest'.

For the same reason, I'm also sick of the FIA monkeying with the rules in a deliberate effort to help the rest of the field catch up with Ferrari. On the one hand, Ferrari have put forth the effort to build an awesome team and a nigh-unbeatable car. They should be allowed to reap the benefits of their effort. If anything, it's the fault of every other team on the grid that Ferrari are so far ahead.

On the other hand, changing the rules constantly doesn't allow other teams to build a solid foundation to chase Ferrari on--too much is in flux. Take Toyota, for example. By all accounts, they have one of the more powerful engines on the grid. Their aerodynamics package is a mess, however. They can't systematically improve their aero package when all their hard work gets thrown away at the end of the year. Not only that, but they can't even focus on the aero package and just incrementally improve their engine, because now *that* has to be scrapped, too. Because the FIA can't leave well enough alone, teams are constantly chasing their own tails.

This impacts Ferrari less because Ferrari don't have to fix existing problems--they can use all of their engineering talent to focus on the new regulations.

Jim
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
You don't cheer for Williams?
Is there a trend to support Williams in America?

VX220 Turbo - 245bhp, 250lb ft
http://www.vx220.org.uk
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Gedi
No, but there sure are a lot of people who have never watched an F1 race in their entire lives wearing Ferrari F1 t-shirts, hats, etc...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gedi
Yeah, all the bud drinkers working on their HP Pavilion's

Nah, but a lot of people here support the underdogs, When McLaren and Williams dominated there was more Ferrari support.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotus Fury
If you were to remove Ferrari from the races this have been an awesome year for F1.
If you were to remove the US team from the Olympic games this would have been an awesome year for the Olympics. Yeah, that is what your statement sounds like.

Or, If you were to remove John Force from the races this have been an awesome year for Funny Car drag racing....

And I agree with Jim, Imagine a driver working his hardest to try to better the current top dog, just to find out that he retired unbeaten and never know. Don't you think that MS is an overachiver because he doesn't have any other way to beat Ayrton Senna? Could it be?

I also think the FIA is foolish to change rules to try to even the field, they are acheiving just the opposite. Ferrari is such a well oiled team that they can adapt faster to the changes than the rest of the teams.

Just read this, even the other teams are complaining about the changes because they think they favor Ferrari

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has once again slammed the FIA for what he deems to be displaying favoritism towards Ferrari.

According to Dennis the new rules, especially those relating to long-life engines as well as tyres, which are expected to be implemented next season clearly favour Ferrari.
"The regulations proposed favour one team over another because of the circumstances they are in," Dennis told the BBC.

"If one team (Ferrari) has an engine that currently does 1,500km and another (McLaren) has one that does 500km and suddenly you've got a rule that the engine has to do two races, then you have a situation where those who are already close to that level have got a clear advantage."

"Similarly, if you've got a tyre that is very durable and has less degradation over the distance of a Grand Prix and then suddenly you've got a regulation that says we are only going to use one set of tyres for a Grand Prix, then that team is immediately at an advantage.

"Putting aside who gets what, that's deliberate and the key ingredient is how to destabilise the teams and take their focus aware from trying to create commercial stability."

However, an FIA spokesman says Dennis' accusations are "ridiculous". "Of all the ridiculous accusations that could be made against the FIA perhaps the most ridiculous is that we would want Ferrari to be more dominant," he said. "Did any of the people making these accusations actually watch the race in Hungary?"

"In reality the FIA's consultation with the teams on the new regulations has been very constructive. We understand that general agreement on the new regulations has already been reached. In that sense we feel that the consultation process has been very successful."

"It's to everyone's advantage to finalise the regulations sooner rather than later and we understand that most teams have already started working on designs for 2005 which meet the proposed regulations."

-----

Not everyone can be happy
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:20 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Looks like it is going to happen-

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=61623

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:32 AM

Hard to believe he'd retire when only three poles shy of the one record he doesn't own...
OTOH, maybe he's positive that he'll own that one too before the year is over.

Robert Puertas
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Well... as much as I hate seeing him take 1st so often, it would depress me to see him retire now. I think that having a driver like him and a team like Ferrari on the grid encourages the other drivers to push harder - which is in no way a bad thing, IMO.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Chase
Looks like it is going to happen-

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=61623
Just because he called a press conference it doesn't mean he is going to retire, it could be to kill the rumors flying around, but you never know.

If he does retire he will still be working with Ferrari anyway, I wonder what they will make him do until his contract is over.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 AM

Quote:
If you were to remove the US team from the Olympic games this would have been an awesome year for the Olympics.
Not true, you only just beat the russians in total medal count and they beat you in the gold medal count

VX220 Turbo - 245bhp, 250lb ft
http://www.vx220.org.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in