General Car Photography Thread - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
You can check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotteckert
I still shoot with a 10-year old Nikon D300 and most of my shots are with the 18-200VRII lens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
You can check out my photos here:

Some clean photography bro. Well done.

2006 Exige
post #43 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Some clean photography bro. Well done.
Thank you sir!

post #44 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotteckert
I still shoot with a 10-year old Nikon D300 and most of my shots are with the 18-200VRII lens.
Great shots! Thanks for sharing. I really like the lighting in the first shot. You have some awesome background scenery out there too. I'm a little jealous.

Thanks for sharing your camera gear info too. 18-200mm is quite an impressive focal length range. I bet you can do pretty much anything with it. Looking at the cool rainbows in the headlights, looks like you have some type of polarizer on there?
post #45 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Great shots! Thanks for sharing. I really like the lighting in the first shot. You have some awesome background scenery out there too. I'm a little jealous.

Thanks for sharing your camera gear info too. 18-200mm is quite an impressive focal length range. I bet you can do pretty much anything with it. Looking at the cool rainbows in the headlights, looks like you have some type of polarizer on there?
You're welcome. We do have some beautiful scenery here, sometimes it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I did get lucky with that first shot though- It's actually the same location as the second shot, just shooting from the other direction. I brought the car there again intending to use the mountains as a background but the lighting was bad (midday sun). Before I hopped back in the car, I spun around and saw how good the light was from that direction and snapped that photo instead.

That lens is versatile and stays on my camera pretty much all of the time, but doesn't have the sharpness nor beautiful bokeh of the 70-200 or a prime lens. Now they make a 18-300 for even more range. And, yup good eye, that rainbow effect is from a circular polarizer.
post #46 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Some great shots in this thread! Here's a few from awhile back - got help from the guys here (VisualEchoes I'm looking at YOU, thank you!):
Shot with my old D3200 + kit lens and/or 35MM prime. I'd like to redo these with my newer gear (A7II) but I doubt I'll get the chance in the same locales. The rest of my stuff (mostly pets, guitars and nature whatnot can be found on DV:https://www.deviantart.com/rp451/gallery/ or older ones on my photoblog.

Pics:
Attached Images

post #47 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Just got back into photography and I know there are a bunch of really talented photographers on here and I would love to hear what gear you use, any tips and tricks you've picked up, links to helpful articles or videos you've found, etc. So please share!
One of the best bits of advice I got was to buy the best lenses and spend the rest of the budget on the body and accessories. As for my personal advice, I think I was better off for investing at least half again of the gear budget in education. There are quite a few things that you can make yourself: soft boxes, lighting, reflectors, stands.
post #48 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
I keep coming back to this shot of yours Andrew- It's just gorgeous and inviting, and it conveys the feeling of just steeping out of the car after a beautiful drive and glancing back to admire. The tones, lighting, angle of the car, and the tree balancing the shot, make a very pleasing image. How did you achieve gel-like smoothness on the front of the car? It makes it seem very 3-dimensional, almost like it was rendered as CGI. The icing on the cake is the sunburst just behind the front wheel.
tonydim7 likes this.
post #49 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
Some great shots in this thread! Here's a few from awhile back - got help from the guys here (VisualEchoes I'm looking at YOU, thank you!):
Shot with my old D3200 + kit lens and/or 35MM prime. I'd like to redo these with my newer gear (A7II) but I doubt I'll get the chance in the same locales. The rest of my stuff (mostly pets, guitars and nature whatnot can be found on DV:https://www.deviantart.com/rp451/gallery/ or older ones on my photoblog.

Pics:
I can definitely see the the VE inspiration come through in your photos, nice work! Lighting is spot on
tonydim7 likes this.
post #50 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

I really like your street-photography approach to the car show photos. I think too many amateur photographers make the mistake just focusing on the cars at shows, but as said its really a difficult place to get good car photos. Focusing on the story of the show, the people (and animals), and the details is what is going to make the best images.
tonydim7 likes this.
post #51 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM

I'm not a particularly good photographer, but I get kind of lucky on occasion. I do this entirely for fun in my free time.

I almost always run a Canon 5d Mk2 and a Mk4 with a Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8L (mk. 1) and a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II most of the time. I've have a lot of fun with my Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake too.

Just bought a cheap little micro 4/3 mirrorless camera that I've been having fun with too (probably never going to get as good pictures as most, most of what I shoot is for fun).

This was shot with the 70-200

Some of you might be interested in this video featuring Easton Chang titled "The Art of Style and Speed"
https://www.smugmug.com/films/easton-chang

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff

Last edited by gray; 01-11-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #52 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! The 35mm prime seems like a popular option. I love the super low light shot. Was it tricky to get?
post #53 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
One of the best bits of advice I got was to buy the best lenses and spend the rest of the budget on the body and accessories. As for my personal advice, I think I was better off for investing at least half again of the gear budget in education. There are quite a few things that you can make yourself: soft boxes, lighting, reflectors, stands.
Thanks for sharing. I've heard you are much better off in investing in lenses. They seem to make the biggest impact to picture quality and tend to last a long time.

Any particular classes you found helpful? Were they automotive photography specific? Or just general photography classes?
post #54 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
I'm not a particularly good photographer, but I get kind of lucky on occasion. I do this entirely for fun in my free time.

I almost always run a Canon 5d Mk2 and a Mk4 with a Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8L (mk. 1) and a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II most of the time. I've have a lot of fun with my Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake too.

Just bought a cheap little micro 4/3 mirrorless camera that I've been having fun with too (probably never going to get as good pictures as most, most of what I shoot is for fun).

This was shot with the 70-200

Some of you might be interested in this video featuring Easton Chang titled "The Art of Style and Speed"
Thanks for sharing. Great shot! Really cool with the green car and the yellow leaves in the background. Seems like the 70-200mm lens is another really popular lens. 24-70mm would be a really good focal length for cruising around car shows. Plus 2.8 is a really good aperture for a zoom lens (both your 70-200 and the 24-70)

Thanks for sharing that link too. Interesting video. Pretty extreme location but that's what it takes for great pictures.
post #55 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! The 35mm prime seems like a popular option. I love the super low light shot. Was it tricky to get?
Thanks man! Nah, found a warehouse type building driving around at night, decided to just park and see what I could get.
The 35MM (technically 55ishMM if you convert from APS-C to full frame) served me well but tack-sharp focus was a constant challenge, at least wit the D3200 I was shooting with.
post #56 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Some great shots in this thread! Here's a few from awhile back...
Dude, that middle shot, so much wow.

Quote:
I keep coming back to this shot of yours Andrew- It's just gorgeous and inviting, and it conveys the feeling of just steeping out of the car after a beautiful drive and glancing back to admire. The tones, lighting, angle of the car, and the tree balancing the shot, make a very pleasing image. How did you achieve gel-like smoothness on the front of the car? It makes it seem very 3-dimensional, almost like it was rendered as CGI. The icing on the cake is the sunburst just behind the front wheel.
Thanks for the compliments. I got a bit carried away with this shot, if I'm honest. The concept was to replicate that old, faded, dreamy look in many of the renaissance paintings I'd seen as an art student so many years ago. The muted colors, the fog in the trees in the background, and the overall composition elude to it. Although there isn't a single image it's modeled after, The Birth of Venus isn't far off of the idea...

https://wisetoast.com/wp-content/upl...s-Painting.jpg

I spent quite a lot of time cleaning up the image, which is probably why the front looks so smooth. That, and it's shot at sunset. The spectral highlight was just a function of the small aperture, so I got a bit lucky there. It happens .

2006 Exige
post #57 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I can definitely see the the VE inspiration come through in your photos, nice work! Lighting is spot on
Thank you Scott! He definitely knows how to shoot and how to make it look easy!
post #58 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
That's Easton and I at 3:53. He came to Missouri from Australia to do the rig portion of the tutorial with me. We used my car, and a friend's Porsche.
Attached Images

2006 Exige
post #59 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Dude, that middle shot, so much wow.
Humble thanks man!!
post #60 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Great shot! Really cool with the green car and the yellow leaves in the background. Seems like the 70-200mm lens is another really popular lens. 24-70mm would be a really good focal length for cruising around car shows. Plus 2.8 is a really good aperture for a zoom lens (both your 70-200 and the 24-70)

Thanks for sharing that link too. Interesting video. Pretty extreme location but that's what it takes for great pictures.
The Canon 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm L (professional) lenses are considered the Holy Trinity of Canon zooms. The 24-70mm f/2.8L II is particularly remarkable in that it has better MTF (modulation transfer function) performance than many prime lenses (which are considered the standard for image quality). For third-party, the Sigma ART lenses have earned quite a reputation as well - been thinking of picking up the 35mm/1.4.

I shoot car shows for fun, and I find myself using the 24-70 almost all the time (though forcing myself to use a prime can be fun as well). Half my shots end up being the dogs that people bring (which makes for some of the best pictures you can take at a car show/meet, IMHO).

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff

Last edited by gray; 01-13-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in