General Car Photography Thread - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Registered User
 
Roundabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I've heard you are much better off in investing in lenses. They seem to make the biggest impact to picture quality and tend to last a long time.

Any particular classes you found helpful? Were they automotive photography specific? Or just general photography classes?
I was new to photography, so I found the RSMP weekend classes invaluable. For $99, they offered a 3 track 7 instructor seminar to a sold out crowd. Sadly, they don't do that anymore. I got intros in to sports, wedding, low-light, landscape, triangle basics, composition, etc. After that, I took classes locally in what I was interested in, which is mostly low-light and landscape.

I'm not a camera case guy. I take the best care I can of it, but I field change lenses all the time, back-country with 18 lbs of gear and ski with them. I have never regretted that. Even the time I was being stung by wasps and slapped one on the back of my hand that was holding my camera. $800 later, Canon had my camera all fixed up
Roundabout is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
The Canon 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm L (professional) lenses are considered the Holy Trinity of Canon zooms. The 24-70mm f/2.8L II is particularly remarkable in that it has better MTF (modulation transfer function) performance than many prime lenses (which are considered the standard for image quality).
This is true of Nikon as well, and probably represents more than 70% of professional shooter's bags for that reason. The 24-70 is so good that most guys never even take it off of their camera. It's a big reason why I don't own any of them. That, and I really enjoy the working part, so I have 5 bodies, and 7 primes.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #63 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
[QUOTE=gray;5917064]The Canon 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm L (professional) lenses are considered the Holy Trinity of Canon zooms. The 24-70mm f/2.8L II is particularly remarkable in that it has better MTF (modulation transfer function) performance than many prime lenses (which are considered the standard for image quality). For third-party, the Sigma ART lenses have earned quite a reputation as well - been thinking of picking up the 35mm/1.4.

I shoot car shows for fun, and I find myself using the 24-70 almost all the time (though forcing myself to use a prime can be fun as well). Half my shots end up being the dogs that people bring (which makes for some of the best pictures you can take at a car show/meet, IMHO).

I have the 16-35mm 2.8. It's a really cool lens, but honestly I'm not very good at it. I need to learn a lot more about how to use that lens. The Sigma Art 50mm is on my short list of next lenses. I'd be curious if anyone has any of the lenses in that line and see what they think. But I can see how the 24-70mm lens would be an awesome range for car shows. You could get pretty much everything with it.
tonydim7 is online now  
 
post #64 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
I was new to photography, so I found the RSMP weekend classes invaluable. For $99, they offered a 3 track 7 instructor seminar to a sold out crowd. Sadly, they don't do that anymore. I got intros in to sports, wedding, low-light, landscape, triangle basics, composition, etc. After that, I took classes locally in what I was interested in, which is mostly low-light and landscape.

I'm not a camera case guy. I take the best care I can of it, but I field change lenses all the time, back-country with 18 lbs of gear and ski with them. I have never regretted that. Even the time I was being stung by wasps and slapped one on the back of my hand that was holding my camera. $800 later, Canon had my camera all fixed up
It would be fun to get an intro to all of those different types of photography. Its seems like they all have their different sets of skills and techniques required.

Sounds like a pretty awesome story. Hopefully the shot turned out to be worth it!
tonydim7 is online now  
post #65 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
This is true of Nikon as well, and probably represents more than 70% of professional shooter's bags for that reason. The 24-70 is so good that most guys never even take it off of their camera. It's a big reason why I don't own any of them. That, and I really enjoy the working part, so I have 5 bodies, and 7 primes.
5 bodies and 7 primes. That's no joke. I bet you can pretty much create exactly the look you want though. Out of curiosity, anything at the top of your wishlist? Or do you pretty much have everything you want for photography stuff so far?
tonydim7 is online now  
post #66 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
5 bodies and 7 primes. That's no joke. I bet you can pretty much create exactly the look you want though. Out of curiosity, anything at the top of your wishlist? Or do you pretty much have everything you want for photography stuff so far?
Top of my list is always the 300/2, and will be until I die.

Next would be the Mitakon Speedmaster 135/1.4, but they are unobtainium as well.

The little 50's at f.095 don't really do anything for me, I prefer the longer lenses in every way.

However, I'll have a 35/1.0 at some point, I like those really wide shots at super shallow dof too.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #67 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Top of my list is always the 300/2, and will be until I die.

Next would be the Mitakon Speedmaster 135/1.4, but they are unobtainium as well.

The little 50's at f.095 don't really do anything for me, I prefer the longer lenses in every way.

However, I'll have a 35/1.0 at some point, I like those really wide shots at super shallow dof too.
Woah. Those both look like awesome lenses. The 300mm is gigantic for that focal length. Did I read correctly that the lens came out in the mid 80s for the Olympics? Seems like super low numbers made too. Same with the 135mm. But it seems like it was recently re-released?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/687391...-mount-options

Are all of the 35/1.0 manual focus ones? Or autofocus?
tonydim7 is online now  
post #68 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
Also, additional question I suppose I haven't asked anyone yet. Favorite photography editing software? I've tried basic build in software for photo editing and am so-so happy with the results. I've tried Lightroom a couple of times and it's pretty far over my head. But it seems like pretty powerful software. But I'd be curious to see what everyone likes. And is everyone shooting in RAW file format? Or something else?
tonydim7 is online now  
post #69 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Woah. Those both look like awesome lenses. The 300mm is gigantic for that focal length. Did I read correctly that the lens came out in the mid 80s for the Olympics? Seems like super low numbers made too. Same with the 135mm. But it seems like it was recently re-released?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/687391...-mount-options

Are all of the 35/1.0 manual focus ones? Or autofocus?
The 135/1.4 was re-released fairly recently, but still in very limited numbers and a price of $3k so it's still not easy to get. Can't say for sure on the availability of autofocus on the 35/1.0s cause I'm not familiar with every brand, but I'm not aware of any that are autofocus. Most of the really wide aperture lenses are only available as manual focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Also, additional question I suppose I haven't asked anyone yet. Favorite photography editing software? I've tried basic build in software for photo editing and am so-so happy with the results. I've tried Lightroom a couple of times and it's pretty far over my head. But it seems like pretty powerful software. But I'd be curious to see what everyone likes. And is everyone shooting in RAW file format? Or something else?
Right now I'm using darktable, pretty much just cause I don't want to pay a subscription for Lightroom. RawTherapee is another pretty good free alternative. I'd recommend using something more than the basic software even if you don't understand all of it yet just to have the tools available and see what you might like to change in your images. There's plenty of good tutorial videos on either how to achieve a certain look with your editing, or just general overviews of each of the tools and what they do.

I always shoot in RAW because even if I'm relatively happy with something right out of the camera RAW gives a better starting point and more room for changes when editing. If you want to be lazy at the cost of storage space you could shoot RAW+JPEG and then only edit the RAW if you're not happy with the JPEG.
CloudySkys is offline  
post #70 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Woah. Those both look like awesome lenses. The 300mm is gigantic for that focal length. Did I read correctly that the lens came out in the mid 80s for the Olympics? Seems like super low numbers made too. Same with the 135mm. But it seems like it was recently re-released?
Yes, it was made for the olympics...and several were given away free for press. Many have been converted to movie lenses.

Both lenses are all spoken for and in private collections. 300/2's come up on eBay from time to time, usually beat-up examples, for $25,000 or more.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #71 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
I found a good deal on a used Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art Series lens, so I picked it up. Really happy with it so far. Super sharp. Boring location (just down the driveway), but let me know what you guys think. Other pictures here --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFa0avF...on_share_sheet

Separate question. My wife would like to get a good portrait lens and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or if anyone has used a traditional "portrait lens" on cars? I was thinking a prime lens in the 85mm to 135mm range.
Attached Images
 
CloudySkys likes this.
tonydim7 is online now  
post #72 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,139
You have a stellar looking car, just need to make sure you get it into a different background, and bring your tripod and polarizer with you.

IMO the 85mm is the best portrait lens out there, all things considered.
- ease of use
- affordability
- working distance
- separation
- distortion

The 1.8 will be fine, but if you can snag a 1.2/1.4 you're even better off IMO.

The 85 isn't going to really compete with the 135/2, or 200/2, but again, all things considered it's the best.

For your car photography, you don't need a brilliant location, just something not-distracting. I took this on my drive the other day, just a quick snap.
Attached Images
 
shay2nak, darkSol and CloudySkys like this.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #73 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 240
An 85mm will be the most versatile option I'd say, you also have a lot of different options from pretty much every lens manufacturer as it's far more common than 105mm or 135mm. 105mm or 135mm is nice too if you're looking for a little tighter field of view and more background blur, I picked up the Nikon 135mm/f2 DC and like it a lot.

The Sigma Art lenses are all good, so since you're happy with your 50mm I'd say look for one of those. They have something at each focal length, the 85mm/f1.4, 105mm/f1.4, or 135mm/f1.8, but they are a little expensive. If you're looking to keep it on a budget look for a used 85mm/f1.8.
CloudySkys is offline  
post #74 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
You have a stellar looking car, just need to make sure you get it into a different background, and bring your tripod and polarizer with you.

IMO the 85mm is the best portrait lens out there, all things considered.
- ease of use
- affordability
- working distance
- separation
- distortion

The 1.8 will be fine, but if you can snag a 1.2/1.4 you're even better off IMO.

The 85 isn't going to really compete with the 135/2, or 200/2, but again, all things considered it's the best.

For your car photography, you don't need a brilliant location, just something not-distracting. I took this on my drive the other day, just a quick snap.
Thanks for taking a look. I had the CP on there, but no tripod. I need to try it out though and make sure everything is super sharp.

Thanks for the advice on the portrait lens too. I need to look around a little more and see what's available, but it's helpful to narrow in on a focal length. I'd love to have a 135/2 or 200/2 but I think those will be out of my price range.

Yeah, I got to look around and find some better spots.
tonydim7 is online now  
post #75 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudySkys View Post
An 85mm will be the most versatile option I'd say, you also have a lot of different options from pretty much every lens manufacturer as it's far more common than 105mm or 135mm. 105mm or 135mm is nice too if you're looking for a little tighter field of view and more background blur, I picked up the Nikon 135mm/f2 DC and like it a lot.

The Sigma Art lenses are all good, so since you're happy with your 50mm I'd say look for one of those. They have something at each focal length, the 85mm/f1.4, 105mm/f1.4, or 135mm/f1.8, but they are a little expensive. If you're looking to keep it on a budget look for a used 85mm/f1.8.
Thanks for the advice. I bet the 135/2 is awesome. The place I found the 50mm lens at had the Sigma 135/1.8 used too. I looked at it briefly and it seemed really nice. I think the 105/1.5 seems really cool (its a gigantic lens), but I believe that was the most expensive one. I'm probably a little ways out from buying the next lens since I just got the 50mm, but I want to start narrowing it down. But I think it does make sense to stay in the Sigma Art lens family. Seems like they've gotten really good reviews.
tonydim7 is online now  
post #76 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Registered User
 
Varun916's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PNW
Posts: 321
I'd advise against getting too caught up in the gear. You can do so much more by improving yourself first! Telephoto lens is great, but getting the right location, angles(not hard with these cars) and lighting is key imo.
Varun916 is offline  
post #77 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
I'd advise against getting too caught up in the gear. You can do so much more by improving yourself first! Telephoto lens is great, but getting the right location, angles(not hard with these cars) and lighting is key imo.
Agreed, don't get too caught up in gear, in the end it's your ability to use it that will make a great image. I do think it's important to have a few different focal lengths to work with though, either a few primes or a good standard zoom at least.
Varun916 likes this.
CloudySkys is offline  
post #78 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 PM
Registered User
 
gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Separate question. My wife would like to get a good portrait lens and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or if anyone has used a traditional "portrait lens" on cars? I was thinking a prime lens in the 85mm to 135mm range.
A couple acquaintances of mine shoot automotive with the Canon 85mm F/1.2 L. They get some pretty good results - here is an example from a shoot.


Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
gray is offline  
post #79 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 147
[QUOTE=gray;5932760]A couple acquaintances of mine shoot automotive with the Canon 85mm F/1.2 L. They get some pretty good results - here is an example from a shoot.

Thanks for posting! Examples like that is exactly what I was looking for. If you have any other examples of their work, I'd love to see it.

I actually rented that lens last year and was really impressed with it.
tonydim7 is online now  
post #80 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:06 AM
Registered User
 
gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydim7 View Post
Thanks for posting! Examples like that is exactly what I was looking for. If you have any other examples of their work, I'd love to see it.

I actually rented that lens last year and was really impressed with it.
One more example, though it's composited.



I'd suggest looking through flickr with pixelpeeper or flickriver. I found this:


Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
gray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome