Goodwood Festival of Speed Photo Gallery - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Goodwood Festival of Speed Photo Gallery

The Goodwood Festival of Speed is a motorsports free-for-all held annually in England. Basically, they bring together many very rare race cars, sports cars, super cars, bikes, rally cars...you name it, they race it up the hill on the Goodwood Estate.

Here is a large 90 picture photo gallery of this year's great event:

2009 Goodwood Festival of Speed Results and Photo Gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Totally Excited! I'm going this year to Revival! Woot Woot!

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls." ~Joseph Campbell
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
DrJ

Awesome, thank you.

Probablistically!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Very, very nice. Thanks.

Last edited by ms355; 07-07-2009 at 05:18 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM

This is a fantastic event. Went in 2007 and had a great time, despite epic rain. Looks like it was dry this year.

Thanks for the link to the photos

Covered in Brandy and Lard
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM

thank you for the great pix. i still love the audi s1, one of the best rallycars of all time imho.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Great pictures. I went to the Festival of Speed in 1996. Fantastic event. Lots of rain that year though.
So what's the difference between the Festival and the Revival other than one's in June/July and the other's in September?
Bruce
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Fesitval of Speed (FOS) is a hill climb based around performance cars. Revival is a recreation of an era for vintage and historic cars.

Very different events.

Revival is amazing. It is all about period authentic dioramas, costumes. WWII fighter planes overhead. Old vintage racecars driven by Sterling Moss and the like. And really racing.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 AM

Randy,
Thanks for the explanation.
Bruce
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM

(I've been to FOS once, never been to Revival BTW but hopefully one day)

FOS is indeed primarily about the hillclimb, but it includes wheeled (primarily motorized but not in all cases) vehicles of many many types, from the very earliest motorcars and motorcycles, to today's generation of F1 cars and running prototypes of street cars not yet released (for example, the test mule for the Tesla ran there in 2007 as did our very own PatrickO's 2 Eleven - the first customer car - several days after he took delivery). They say that typically about 1/3rd or so (IIRC) of the entrants are competing for best time in their class or overall (and therefore really hauling ass !!!), for the rest it's about the honor of presenting these historic cars at Goodwood and giving the crowds a chance to see them up close and personal - walking through the various paddock areas is probably the best part, though hearing and seeing the cars racing up the hill can be tremendous too. Rod Millen was thrilling, flying up the hill in one of his record-setting Pike's Peak cars... They also have constructed a rally stage in the forest at the top of the hill for the rally cars, and they have nonmotorized events that vary every year. In '07 there were professional cyclists (plus some guy named Damon Hill ) doing a hillclimb during the lunch hour, and in previous years there were gravity racers (sophisticated soapbox derby type vehicles constructed by manufacturers including Lotus, Bentley, Mazda etc.)

At Goodwood FOS, the invited entries can be of all sorts, whereas at Goodwood Revival, the types of cars are limited to the era during which the Goodwood racetrack was in operation as a competition course (1948 - 1966), to be in keeping with the "period-correct" style of the event. Many of the attendees and participants dress up in the style of these times.

Covered in Brandy and Lard

Last edited by mikester; 07-07-2009 at 09:58 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

What a great event...I love the variety of it all. They have a little bit of everything.

Hard to pick a favorite, however I do love the old Audi rally cars. They have the coolest sound.
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
This will be my 4th time at Revival and I have yet to see FOS, though I should.

According the ex-Lotus soapbox racer Malcolm Barnett who has done both a lot, the Revival is a much more entertaining event to attend. But really they are very different events. And they don't compete except that they happen at the same place.

To me, the Revival is just amazing. As said by someone on this forum when asked if he was going to the Monterey Historics "no... I have been to the Revival and now I am spoiled." It is hard to really describe how awesome it is.

But someday I will make it a point to get to FOS also. Maybe next year.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in