The Grand Tour - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

The Grand Tour

heads up ... the premiere of The Grand Tour, Amazon prime's remake of Top Gear, which was actually supposed to air tomorrow is available tonight via on-demand viewing. So far, it's great! The boys are back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:27 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Can't wait! Tonight!!

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:57 AM

The first episode was great! I can't wait for next Friday... or really Thursday if they keep up the midnight GMT Friday release (6:00 PM Thursday for me in Central time zone).

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:41 AM
glb

For a 1st episode, it was very good.

They seem to have a large budget....enough, I read, to smash up Priuses.

The bias against the Prius is something I see and don't understand. It's a great car for most ppl.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
shay2nak and surferpkt like this.

Nick____________
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Garage
Since my prime doesn't run out till the 21st I should be able to see it. I will give it a shot when I get home tonight.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:15 AM

Alright, this is a tight-knit community - someone has to know who had the Elise during the desert scene at "Burning Van"!!
RBH likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:21 AM
rnr

I know Shinoo was there with the Ariel Nomad
cyow5 likes this.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
For a 1st episode, it was very good.

They seem to have a large budget....enough, I read, to smash up Priuses.

The bias against the Prius is something I see and don't understand. It's a great car for most ppl.
Aside from a lot of it just being his persona, there is a very strong argument against battery powered vehicles saving the environment because of the extremely nasty processes involved in mining, purifying, and recycling the various metals and chemicals in batteries. Add that to the fact that, as Jay Leno put it, people often care more about looking like they are saving the planet than the actual result, and you get a pretty big target to aim at. Take a look at all the celebrity "environmentalists" who fly in private jets to go speak about global warming.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:29 AM
glb

Well, in reality, my friend, that is incorrect.

You are thinking of false rumors spread by GM when the Prius arrived. Brock Yates was part of that bs.

They didn't want anyone to know that the batteries are about 98% recyclable. And, they often last >200k miles.

Rebekka has 240k on her Prius and on orig battery.

Note: Even with about 1000 patents, the Prius is the most reliable car sold here.

Toyota was quite mindful of the environment when designing this stuff. They could have got more power, but that would've made the battery less recyclable.

I imagine I know more Prius owners than most ppl. None have taken the pious approach or attitude. They love their cars and its reliability and mileage. They like polluting less, but none think they are personally saving the planet.

Leno is a good guy, but not someone I'd look to for an unbiased view here.

My best friend was the Toyota engineer in charge of introducing the Prius to America. Because he was so smart (unlike me), I know a lot of stuff.

Did anyone know the Prius can steer you out of a skid even you do it all wrong??

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:

You are thinking of false rumors spread by GM when the Prius arrived. Brock Yates was part of that bs.

They didn't want anyone to know that the batteries are about 98% recyclable. And, they often last >200k miles.

Note: Even with about 1000 patents, the Prius is the most reliable car sold here.

Toyota was quite mindful of the environment when designing this stuff. They could have got more power, but that would've made the battery less recyclable.

I imagine I know more Prius owners than most ppl. None have taken the pious approach or attitude. They love their cars and its reliability and mileage. They like polluting less, but none think they are personally saving the planet.

My best friend was the Toyota engineer in charge of introducing the Prius to America. Because he was so smart (unlike me), I know a lot of stuff.

Did anyone know the Prius can steer you out of a skid even you do it all wrong??
I answered your question perfectly correctly. Remember - you're question was why he had such an agenda. I never stated or implied those are my views or even if they are correct; they are simply the answer to the question you posed.

My brother drives a Prius C due to my recommendation, but I drive a light, efficient gas car because both were the best solutions to our given problems.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:16 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
... there is a very strong argument against battery powered vehicles saving the environment because of the extremely nasty processes involved in mining, purifying, and recycling the various metals and chemicals in batteries. Add that to the fact that, as Jay Leno put it, people often care more about looking like they are saving the planet than the actual result, and you get a pretty big target to aim at. Take a look at all the celebrity "environmentalists" who fly in private jets to go speak about global warming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I answered your question perfectly correctly. Remember - you're question was why he had such an agenda. I never stated or implied those are my views or even if they are correct; they are simply the answer to the question you posed.

My brother drives a Prius C due to my recommendation, but I drive a light, efficient gas car because both were the best solutions to our given problems.
Sorry, but the first quote led me to think you believed such things.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Just watched it. Not bad. Could use a better intro song... Bright sunshiney day? Really?

Sent from my Samsung GS7 using Tapatalk

Nick____________
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Garage
I thought it was pretty good, I did enjoy it but I am not sure if I enjoyed it enough to become an Amazon Prime member.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Wasn't bad, it has potential.

I just wish they hadn't rigged the drag race so that each of the three cars would win.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Wasn't bad, it has potential.

I just wish they hadn't rigged the drag race so that each of the three cars would win.
I like the point they made though; 0-60 times have gotten so astonishingly fast that reaction time is a bigger variable than the cars. It made think of the typical bar argument "well, the xxxx is 0.3s fast to 60 so it is way better" when in reality it is just as fast something a second slower in many scenarios. The launch control on modern cars is crazy optimized in order to get a sub-3s time, so giving the Mac different tires was a huge handicap, too. Its launch control just wasn't tuned for them. Same reason why it was the fastest around the track when on its OE tires but not when it was on the same tires as the others.

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:

My wife is a chemist. She has told me that the batteries are bad for the environment when you create them. She also mentioned that they are hard to recycle. But details lacking, I could be wrong. The 98% sounds suspicious to me. Perhaps that is some theoretical percentage not really achieved by the companies that actually recycle them? Again I could be wrong.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 PM

I liked it a lot but I was a huge fan of Top Gear UK.

-2005 Lotus Elise
-2015 Mercedes C300
-2016 4Runner
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:17 PM

It was well done, and clearly very high budget, but seemed pretty stale and meticulously scripted.
I like the nonsense in stupid cars and the more casual banter as to why one crappy car is better than another. Having 3 1M+ cars "racing" was just boring...
I'm hopeful for the more shenanigans-filled episodes.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 PM

Making a battery is bad for the Environment?. Compare that to extracting Oil from the ground. I won't even mention the Canada to USA pipeline. All relative I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in