The Grand Tour - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:30 PM

WI thought it was pretty good, way way better than the US version of top gear. But dang I really love that P1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz01new View Post
Making a battery is bad for the Environment?. Compare that to extracting Oil from the ground. I won't even mention the Canada to USA pipeline. All relative I guess.
Sounds like you might be better suited to a Tesla Roadster than a Lotus Elise

Rather than deflect how batteries effect the environment towards oil why not research it a little bit. The image attached is of a dilution mine in South America. Uses quite a bit of surface area and, while it might look like Caribbean waters, I doubt that the snorkeling is as good. A similar issue recently came up on a Tesla thread to which I added....

"Tesla claims that the battery packs are 60% recyclable, similar to a standard car battery percentage. However, battery packs on the Tesla are "slightly" larger than a car battery. For the remaining 40% waste, well.....

If the Tesla "electric dream" comes true, USGS estimates of currently recoverable world reserves of lithium would last about 17 years. It is clear that the battery technology needs to improve beyond lithium if we are to shift the fleet to electric cars."

I for one would like to understand more about this which is why I research this.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I work for an oil company which operates on (highly regulated) U.S. soil. My company voluntarily globally accounts for all greenhouse gas emissions that it generates and publicly reports them. Free market forces currently tip favor to gasoline as the dominant fuel for vehicles, especially given the recent oil price crash. Most people use what is cheapest.
Attached Images

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow

Last edited by DamianLynch; 11-22-2016 at 06:16 PM.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

One more day and the boys are back! "Stay tuned" ...still waiting for Bosch.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:12 PM
glb

It's on now. I just watched it.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
I think I'm the only person I know who found Top Gear and now the Grand Tour banal. Which isn't to say I don't watch it, but even though there's a live audience I can't get over the sense that the laughter and humor is often pretty forced, like a live sound track. Also, there's a decadence to the program....blowing up usable cars, drawn out and infantile skits of no particular creativity, and I could go on. There are moments of enjoyment and infrequent insights but overall I think they try too hard too often and only succeed part of the time.

The American version was unwatchable, the Brits at least have their moments, great locations of course and glimpses of fine machines, (sometimes abused beyond sensibility). Once again, I am outside looking in. I'll give them this: they get me to watch it but I frequently ask myself why I did. Top Gear got stale for me after a few seasons and the Grand Tour seems to be a redux without the Stig.

So sorry for bringing the rain, but what fun is total agreement?

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

It certainly lacks the excitement of the original BBC Top Gear. Even though I know that show was scripted, they made it fun. It's painful to see them now going though the motions of what was the real spontaneity that worked. I'm just jaded I guess. One tangible criticism though is I wish they could/would get rid of sitting at that table and stand during the program (as they used to) and mingle with the studio audience (who are still standing). I also miss the video/sound stage look of the old Top Gear set. It created that "behind the scenes" atmosphere that added to the live look of the show. In short, I want the old Top Gear back. Excuse me, it's time for my bottle.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:55 AM
KCZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3carmonte View Post
It certainly lacks the excitement of the original BBC Top Gear. Even though I know that show was scripted, they made it fun. It's painful to see them now going though the motions of what was the real spontaneity that worked. I'm just jaded I guess. One tangible criticism though is I wish they could/would get rid of sitting at that table and stand during the program (as they used to) and mingle with the studio audience (who are still standing). I also miss the video/sound stage look of the old Top Gear set. It created that "behind the scenes" atmosphere that added to the live look of the show. In short, I want the old Top Gear back. Excuse me, it's time for my bottle.
I think they were severely restricted by the BBC from doing anything that resembled their time on Top Gear. For example, they can't refer to the news as "The News", it's now called Conversation Street. I'm sure they can't have a similar set. Maybe they're not allowed to stand up either. WTH knows.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
They've tried to recreate the original formula instead of coming up with something fresh. I've no doubt there are elements of the BBC production that are verboten for Amazon, but that being the case why not just create a new idea?

I've always thought Fifth Gear was the better car show, that is if cars are the actual focus. Top Gear is the original (I think?) but I got tired of the gags and the reality TV tension the trio deliver deliver some time ago. They retained all that in the new program along with the adoring crowd sucking up every stale gag but don't deliver anything new. It's not a car show anymore, more a mix of Gallagher and the Three Stooges with dream vehicles in beautiful places. If you don't find the personalities that funny, there's little to glean regarding much else.

But I watch it anyway. I'm starved for entertaining car stuff on the tube so I'll watch anything with the thinest hope of seeing a Lotus feature.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:30 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

lotusquacious Quote:

"If you don't find the personalities that funny, there's little to glean regarding much else."

There's the thing! It was that banter between their personalities that set "Top Gear" apart from other car shows for me. Add to that the plush budget of content and the Theme music against that studio set w/live audience I mentioned and it became more than the sum of it's parts. In addition to all of this, all three loved and respected Lotus! (Hammond...not so much)..
XHILR8N! likes this.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:

In addition to all of this, all three loved and respected Lotus! (Hammond...not so much)..
OK, I take back half of what I said about them! The other half sticks!

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
lotusquacious Quote:

"If you don't find the personalities that funny, there's little to glean regarding much else."

In addition to all of this, all three loved and respected Lotus! (Hammond...not so much)..
Wait... didn't Hammond recently buy an Esprit?

-Mike
2003.5 "Final Edition" Esprit
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 PM
glb

The Grand Tour Is Better, But Still Has Room to Grow

The Grand Tour Is Better, But Still Has Room to Grow

The first episode of season two is promising. We look at what's changed and where they can still improve.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Garage
It’s got the face of a car show, but people who are not car people can find it entertaining as well. The “reviews” of cars are from a very different angle, more related to real world rather than gearheads.

The criticisms above all all well founded. But for we long term fans it’s like a visit with old friends. The entertaining ones that have been a favoured part of life as you grew up.

And heck I just enjoy the Brit aspects, their slant of humor and language.
KCZ and 3carmonte like this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:10 PM
`08 Elise-SC-220

Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 3 "Lunchtime office car park racing" feature. At the 28:11 mark, a Lotus Elise S-1 driven by "Jenny of HR" is spotted. (Don't blink too long or you'll miss it).
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Less is Better

And so it ends.

Yesterday was the last show of that format. Surprising to see Clarkson get teary.

They're still going to be doing road trips, just no more audience.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:34 PM

so I'm wondering if they are going to turn into an American Top Gear-like show now - only cheat car challenges and specials...

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1_fd3s View Post
so I'm wondering if they are going to turn into an American Top Gear-like show now - only cheat car challenges and specials...
That's what they described yesterday.

The problems with the American show wasn't the format, it was the hosts.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:43 PM

regardless of hosts, I personally get tired of the cheap car stuff - the specials are enjoyable until they start "trying to be funny" - ridiculously modifying the cars and being "stupid tourist"...

don't get me wrong, I'll still give it a chance and watch the first few episodes of the new format - and hope it's enjoyable because I do find them to be an enjoyable trio with some great chemistry...

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
We really enjoy them still. Just have to remember the show is not about cars.

Edit: saw episode 14 this evening. One of my fav episodes they have done. Not about supercars that the very well heeled have but don’t drive, but about every man’s cars and how they affect us through life. I learned a lot.

So pleased that Amazon let the series live. I keep a log of great comments they’ve made.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

Last edited by XHILR8N!; 04-13-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in