Help me understand... - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,823
Garage
I've always wondered about this too, thanks for getting this conversation going.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
So let's see, there's a whole thread about failing to understand why someone might not want to post a photo of their license plate, all the discussion is about fear of auto theft, I take the time to explain why there might be other reasons for some posters, and this is what I get back? Awesome.

-Ed
Austin,
Your explanation was describing situations where the poster was engaged in legally questionable situations or in situations where the poster may be in violation of insurance by laws or smog infractions and such.
I believe the poster was referring to just a picture of the car sitting there.
There is a distinction.
There is a distinction between walking into a bank and walking into a bank wearing a mask.
Do you play the lotto? I think you have a better chance of winning that than getting in trouble from the things you referenced merely by posting a pic of your car and plate somewhere on the internet.
I wont call it "paranoia" because this is a friendly forum so lets just say a bit over cautious perhaps.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:27 PM
JWA
Registered User
 
JWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
I think you have a better chance of winning that than getting in trouble from the things you referenced merely by posting a pic of your car and plate somewhere on the internet.
You are right that what he's referring to is not what the OP is asking about - but what he's saying is true. MFGs have most certainly denied warranty claims for legitimate manufacturing defects that affected all or many cars from a certain timeframe and had nothing to do with HPDE use by presenting photos posted online showing the cars on a track. However the solution there isn't to black out the plate, its to remove it at the track and then not post about it. Of course, if the organizer posts registration lists that doesn't work.
JWA is offline  
 
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Registered User
 
PLAY-DOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 877
Garage
Truth is there are many situations where people are taking photos of our cars in public and uploading them to social media, so even though I don't really want my tag shown...it's out there anyway. Oh well

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
PLAY-DOH is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duxbury, MA
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
So let's see, there's a whole thread about failing to understand why someone might not want to post a photo of their license plate, all the discussion is about fear of auto theft, I take the time to explain why there might be other reasons for some posters, and this is what I get back? Awesome.

-Ed
Austin,
Your explanation was describing situations where the poster was engaged in legally questionable situations or in situations where the poster may be in violation of insurance by laws or smog infractions and such.
I believe the poster was referring to just a picture of the car sitting there.
There is a distinction.
There is a distinction between walking into a bank and walking into a bank wearing a mask.
Do you play the lotto? I think you have a better chance of winning that than getting in trouble from the things you referenced merely by posting a pic of your car and plate somewhere on the internet.
I wont call it "paranoia" because this is a friendly forum so lets just say a bit over cautious perhaps.
You're missing a key point. Most forum members make multiple posts on multiple topics, it's not hard to connect the dots between one post with a perfectly innocent photo with the plate visible and another post in a different thread talking about their recent track day. Some folks even use the same user ID across multiple forums. Besides track use, there could be many other reasons why someone may not want to be easily ID'd, given some of the topics and individual posts that appear in some car forums (LT is relatively tame).

I don't pretend to know why any one individual may blank out the plate in a photo of their car, I'm just saying the reason may well not be fear of auto theft.

-Ed
AustinP is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,138
Here, let's see if my car gets stolen.

Andrew Thompson
1937 Randol Ave
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

2006 Exige, license plate "ECHO".


Garage Shot.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr


Stretch.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Nein Kinder
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Golden, Colo.
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Cape Girardeau
I predict you'll be safe

My wife and I drove through there in our Lotus on our way to TN last year. I never saw so many dead raccoons and frogs jumping to their death in front of the Lotus as I did that evening!

Glen
VisualEchos likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
Glen is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Registered User
 
2011 chrome orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,042
Andrew, your car might not get stolen. But based on those pics, I now know the address to go to in order to get my car detailed. That thing is CLEAN!!
VisualEchos likes this.
2011 chrome orange is online now  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,138
Guys, come to Missouri, dead frogs and raccoons everywhere, clean garages, and free pix! hahahaha
Glen likes this.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
You are right that what he's referring to is not what the OP is asking about - but what he's saying is true. MFGs have most certainly denied warranty claims for legitimate manufacturing defects that affected all or many cars from a certain timeframe and had nothing to do with HPDE use by presenting photos posted online showing the cars on a track. However the solution there isn't to black out the plate, its to remove it at the track and then not post about it. Of course, if the organizer posts registration lists that doesn't work.
The only time I heard of this was Nissan had people at the track to document their cars (GTR) there so if another one of their transmissions popped they could wiggle out of it.
Again, I still think your chances are greater hitting the lottery.
Anyway, Ill concede the point for the sake of the thread.


PS...I think I heard Mitsubishi had people at tracks to see who popped a transmission to wiggle out too.
Morale of the story...If you hear of a manufacturer hanging out at tracks watching people run a few laps and taking plates to wiggle out of warranties dont buy their crap cars...

Please, no need to google every time it happened just to show me, Ill just take your word for it.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Here, let's see if my car gets stolen.

Andrew Thompson
1937 Randol Ave
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

2006 Exige, license plate "ECHO".


Garage Shot.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr


Stretch.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Speaking of which, have you seen that Pennzoil commercial where they steal the Viper back?

Being a neat freak is kind of a Lotus thing methinks.
VisualEchos likes this.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
You're missing a key point. Most forum members make multiple posts on multiple topics, it's not hard to connect the dots between one post with a perfectly innocent photo with the plate visible and another post in a different thread talking about their recent track day. Some folks even use the same user ID across multiple forums. Besides track use, there could be many other reasons why someone may not want to be easily ID'd, given some of the topics and individual posts that appear in some car forums (LT is relatively tame).

I don't pretend to know why any one individual may blank out the plate in a photo of their car, I'm just saying the reason may well not be fear of auto theft.

-Ed
Ok, but hardly the stuff that gets you on the FBI's top ten most wanted list.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duxbury, MA
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Ok, but hardly the stuff that gets you on the FBI's top ten most wanted list.
Never said it would, but I did mention denial of warranty repair. Took me about 2 mins to find these:

Evo Owners Decry Warranty Rejections - Car News - Car and Driver

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...warranty+claim

Peace, -Ed

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
AustinP is offline  
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
Never said it would, but I did mention denial of warranty repair. Took me about 2 mins to find these:

Evo Owners Decry Warranty Rejections - Car News - Car and Driver

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...warranty+claim

Peace, -Ed
Sheesh, another google jockey.
I already acknowledged Mitsubishi and Nissan. No dispute there. Why would you "prove" something we already agree/acknowledge?

Again.....Google jockey all day for that stuff, I still say you have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting "busted" at a track by the manufacturer. Google it!!

Btw, just for giggles I looked up your second example since it didn't look like a Mitsu or Nissan issue. It was BMW but here is the outcome and I will paste it..

"Now resolved. BMW acknowledged that the car had not been in a competitive event and the fault was covered under the warranty.
It took a carefully worded letter to the MD Graeme Grieve in order to get it resolved. "

Not the best example, but ok, I see your point I just think its so minuscule. Sort of like I refuse to cross the street because I might get hit by a car.
Again, at this point I will concede because though I think you address .00001%, technically you have a point and technically you are correct.

I think you fit in very well here on Lotustalk!
Speed safely my friend!

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
If you're at the track and you're so worried about your license plate then why wouldn't ya just remove the plate?
You can blacken your plate out all day long on your own pictures but you can't blacken out the pics the NSA, er, I mean the manufacturer is taking at the track.....
Im pretty sure you don't need your plate at the track.

So...the question remains....When someone takes a pic of their car sitting in front of the coffee shop, why bother blotting out the plate?
Im still sketchy on this.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Here, let's see if my car gets stolen.

Andrew Thompson
1937 Randol Ave
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

2006 Exige, license plate "ECHO".


Garage Shot.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr


Stretch.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
By the way Viz, you forgot to blot out your street number.
Im gonna come steal your house.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,900
someone randomly posting a pic of your car is totally different than you posting it yourself.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:11 AM
Asst. Helmet Tester
 
jet37ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,229
Garage
I might not go all the way to MO to steal a car, but I might be inclined to send you junk mail now that I have your address! Muahahahaha!

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
jet37ski is offline  
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,313
"I didn't order 13 anchovy pizzas!"
me73 is offline  
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Registered User
 
evomind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
someone randomly posting a pic of your car is totally different than you posting it yourself.
Totally different?
How so?
I mean if someone is going to locate the vehicle by running the plates how does it really matter who took or posted the picture????
STILL sketchy on a good, valid, REASONABLE reason to blot out the plate.

Anyway, if someone wants to blot out the plates or even the whole car its really none of my business anyway. Do what ya want.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!


I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome