Interior issues. Non lotus. Re upholstery. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Onlooker

Interior issues. Non lotus. Re upholstery.

I have done a bunch of cars before. Door cards headliners pillars and seat repairs. I have even managed to color match repair velor. But I have always had mixed results. Including painting my esprits leather and my audi.

My wifes VW headliner and my audi's headliner have failed. The foam is gone off mine and my wife plans on keeping her Vw seeing as its a MK4 golf.

I was wondering what materials some more experienced hands might pick. I have to buy online as I am in japan and its a 100 mile journey to the nearest decent store for upholstery. My wife is not into alcantara and that was my first choice. I did an alcantara headliner in my a8 and had massive trouble because of it being so stiff. Is there a fabric that has some stretch that would look good.

Lotus related: I want to totally customize the inside of my esprit over time. Any photos of high end luxury interiors would be welcome on the same thread. I have found a few but it seems when I specifically search the web for what I want I never find anything even remotely related.

1990 SE.

Mod's: BPV capsule & throttle jack delete with all the vac lines shortened to the source and capped.
Kida special straight through muff.
Knn washable filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:09 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

Check this group and thread: Sagging Headliner - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com
I have a MKV and I had mine done by a pro. $200.00 using a Ford Motor Co. Interior fabric in charcoal color. I like it. It's the hanger handles that make it difficult.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Onlooker

Thanks Ill check it.

1990 SE.

Mod's: BPV capsule & throttle jack delete with all the vac lines shortened to the source and capped.
Kida special straight through muff.
Knn washable filter.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 AM

Several years ago I did my beater 850 volvo headliner after ordering some ebay tan headliner fabric (stretchy mousefur fabric with stretchy thin foam backing).

Fabric was good for the job, but it takes patience to avoid bunching and lumps, you have to absolutely sand off as much of the original foam and fabric that doesn't pull off from the headliner, so it is messy and time consuming, and use the very best contact adhesive (preferably commerical stuff) you can. I used the strongest 3M spray stuff I could find online, and while it worked for the most part, I still had some deep contours that came up a little in 6 months due to the Florida heat.

It isn't a fun job IMHO, and I've done a decent amount of upholstery work on speaker enclosures and trim bits in the past. I just redid my G500 one in suede, and definitely paid someone for that.

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM
`08 Elise-SC-220

The guy that did my headliner removed all of the foam from the backer board and used (wait for it) industrial strength Weldwood contact adhesive. He said from experience, the 3M stuff let's go in the Florida heat. 28 years upholstering cars, boats & private planes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in