Max G rating of a motorcycle? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn
You're quite wrong.

Those tests you're discussing are on OEM tires or other DOT street legal tires at least. You put some good racing slicks on, and equip the suspension to keep the contact patches usefull under the higher loads, and those same cars will run 1.3 to 1.4 Gs all day long. Under the most optimum conditions the stickier tires have coefficients in the neighborhood of 1.7 against good concrete.
(Backing down painfully)

Ummm, Randy, Yes You Can

I'm confusing classic friction with what a slick can generate through non-classic effectrs, dug up some graphs, and yes, found coefficient of friction graphs going up to 1.4, 1.5.

Randy, my apologies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn
I don't think the lean angles mentioned by milcher take into consideration the fact that the rider is shifting the CG by hanging his body off. So the G-forces mentioned are actually calculated a bit lower than really achieved.
xtn
Right on, xtn. In order to be make a more accurate estimate of cornering g forces for the motorcycle, the angle of lean should be taken from a line from the contact patches through the center of gravity of rider/bike combination. This calculation isn't so easy to do in practice, as the rider influences the angle of the bike dramatically as he hangs off more/less in a turn or in some cases, the rider pushes the bike underneath himself (effecitively hanging off the wrong side). Of course, there are even more variables in the equations that make calculating an accurate estimation of the g forces when cornering much more complicated.

I figured the original poster wanted a simple way to estimate cornering g's for a motorcycle and the tangent of angle of the bike in the turn does provide a conservative estimate (in most normal riding circumstances).

Gary M
Gilbert, AZ
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 AM

Most Gs ever pulled on a dragster bike.

You guys don't know what you are talking about. I have the world record for the launch on a motorcycle with the world record for most hang time ever near the skidpad. I pulled so many Gs the dragster bike flipped at least 2.5 times in the air at launch. I passed out when I was doing negative gs when I was up side down. This was at SIR back in the days.

The One and Only
-VIG La Enum AKA Bryan Andresen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in