Probably some of the very worst money you can spend is on a car. 99.999% of them are expenses, not investments, and beyond that, mod money is literally thrown out the window. It's really as bad as gambling and drugs, sometimes worse.
That said, you can always mitigate your losses.
1. Save ALL your factory parts, don't post any pix or stuff about what you do to the car online, and when the time comes to sell, reinstall all the factory parts and sell the after-market ones.
2. Always buy higher quality parts than what came on the car from factory.
3. Don't do any modification to your car that can't be undone in an afternoon.
4. Buy the very top model.
5. Buy the rarest of the top model.
6. Hardly drive it, just use it as a fairweather friend.
7. If you get involved in an accident, sell it immediately after it's fixed and get one that hasn't had an accident. It'll never look better than it does then.
Me, I just hustle for all my mod money, it's not family money, so if it all goes away, all that really left was hustle money, and I'm ok with that.
As far as what other people do with their money, I couldn't care less, it's their money, and their life.
2009 to 2018, before and after