No forthcoming refund from Skip Barber - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Keenstudent
  • 2 Post By Glen
  • 2 Post By JWA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

No forthcoming refund from Skip Barber

I signed up for a 3 day course with Skip Barber at the Mid-Ohio track. The course was supposed to occur last August. The day before the course, Skip Barber canceled it stating that they had wrecked too many cars at Laguna Seca the week before. I have been trying to get a refund since January. I was initially told that it would take 2 weeks to get a check to me. After many calls, I am being told that people are being refunded, but they cannot tell me where I am in line or how long before I will be refunded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Less is Better

You've waited a year? Did you pay with credit card?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes.
zender likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM
He's on fire!

I think it's 60 days to dispute on a cc. Filed with BBB yet?

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Less is Better

Could be 60 or 90 days to dispute on cc but it might be worth a try. You could always use small claims court. It's tough to deal with after so long.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Nein Kinder

@Keenstudent - Despite the apparent untimeliness, try calling your credit card company anyway. Explain that you have tried resolving the problem with the company, were led to believe they were resolving the problem, and now conclude the merchant has been deceptive and will continue to be unresponsive. The credit card company may elect to determine your complaint is timely or waive the time limits. At the very least, they are likely to get the vendor on the phone with you to ascertain the facts of the case and that contact may prompt the vendor to provide a refund.

Glen
brgelise and KCZ like this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:53 PM
JWA

That's too bad, and doesn't paint a good picture of their finances. I did a LOT of instruction and then racing with them in the mid-'90s (before Skip sold the company) and they were great. Hopefully they make things right with you soon.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Skip Barber "skipped."
I dont know how places stay in business doing stuff like this....

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 PM

Man, I know their instructions are easily into $1K~3K+. It sucks that they had to deal with wrecks $10K~100K+ plus loss of use.
It probably crippled them financially, and they can't afford to refund you unless they start downsizing their operation(less money coming in) and/or start liquidating assets which also hinders their operation...

Bad news for both party...

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 AM
The Enforcer

I think Glen gave you the best advice. Your credit card company can probably exert the force you are unable to (despite the time elapsed). Good luck.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:06 AM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post
Man, I know their instructions are easily into $1K~3K+. It sucks that they had to deal with wrecks $10K~100K+ plus loss of use.
It probably crippled them financially, and they can't afford to refund you unless they start downsizing their operation(less money coming in) and/or start liquidating assets which also hinders their operation...

Bad news for both party...
Drivers have a deductible for damage and they have insurance policies that cover beyond that. The damage just limited how many cars they had available immediately following. At least, that's how it always used to be, and should still be.
brgelise and KCZ like this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

At this point, I even wonder if their reason for canceling the course was the one they stated. I still get almost daily E-mails from them advertising discounted courses. They insist they are not in bankruptcy. It's just hard to know what to believe. The main reason for this post was to describe my experience to the rest of the forum members. I appreciate the advice and have contacted my credit card company.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 07:21 AM
JWA

A quick google finds a surprising number of similar stories, going back at least five years.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 07:21 AM
JWA

A quick google finds a surprising number of similar stories, going back at least five years.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 PM

I know that a couple years ago "Skip Barber" School owed the real Skip Barber seven figures. Lately there have been several facilities improvements at Lime Rock, with paving scheduled. One wonders if the school finally had to pony up...

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:16 PM

I took a few of the classes at Lime Rock over the past few years and never had any problems. One course was cancelled due to lack of participants, but I moved to a class later the next month. From what I remember, if you opt not to buy their insurance, you are fully responsible for the vehicle and if you do purchase it, the deductible was 4K. It appears that they no longer operate at Lime Rock. When I was up there last month, the building they used to operate out of was abandoned. Looks like the maintainance crew has taken it over. Appears tough times are possibly to blame. Hope you get restitution!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:25 AM

Was just at Race this past weekend and you are correct. Skip Barber has left the premises. That does not bode well for them. Time for the full court press!!! Now that I think of it, I think they have been gone since early season. At first I thought they were away at races.
I looked at their website and it appears they have moved to Thompson, HUMMMM! Something is VERY wrong if the company's namesake has punted them out of his track!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 07-26-2016 at 05:33 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 AM

maybe they're moving back to Boxborough......................

Last edited by exigegus; 07-26-2016 at 08:13 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
@Keenstudent I just got a new marketing email from them, so I guess the doors are still open. Maybe you could at least get into a class (that they may or may not cancel).

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in