Top Gear News - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Top Gear News

I suppose this was bound to happen considering stories of Clarkson's behavior.

Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms - BBC News

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Too bad,the only reason why I watched Top Gear was because of Jeremy Clarkston, James May and Richard Hammond.With anyone of the three removed the show simply will not be the same.

The only reason why I watch BBC America is because Top Gear is on it, I think this will be a HUGE mistake for BBC.
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Garage
Although I liked Jeremy Clarkson on the show, he finally crossed that line in the sand and as a result his contract will not be renewed (you could also say he was fired). In any business or company you can't go around punching people and expect to keep your job.

My prediction is that Hammond and May will not renew their contracts and join Clarkson in a new show format very similar to TG on another channel like Sky or Channel 4. However, if that's the case there won't be any guarantee that the show will be shown on this side of the Pond although I will say that if PBS can afford to buy Downton Abbey then maybe they can afford a new TG series as well.

David.

2015 Dodge Charger R/T Premium (Daily Driver)
2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Sold)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Does Top Gear have any value without its presenters? I don't think so.

If May and Hammond are out as well (which is the choice I hope they make) I don't think The Stig has the personality to carry the show on his own.

But if I were a writer on the show, that would be my pitch. Every in-studio shot would be exactly the same as it was before. Stig standing silently amongst the audience, Stig sitting silently across from a celebrity, Stig sitting on the couch while the news things play on the little tv.

I'm sure the first episodes of the new era will get plenty of views for curiosity's sake, but it might as well be 5th gear now, and nobody gives a sh!t about that show.

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:44 AM
RBH

This will be the end of Top Gear and maybe more...

Do it once. Do it right.
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 AM

I for one am not a big fan of Clarkson. What I find bothersome is that his actions (selfish) affected two other people. But as usual he did not think of it.

The other aspect is that we the audience/people usually complain that stars/athletes/politicians get away with things that most of us would be thrown in jail for; yet once in a while when justice is served, we find all sorts of excuses for their behaviors. I find that interesting.

TG lasted long enough in my opinion, and lately the last series have been more about the presenters than the cars, and lacked the originality of older series. I guess they needed to keep pushing the envelop and lost focus.

My 2 pennies.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

#RIP #topgear

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM

My prediction is that BBC will replace Clarkson, Hammond and May with three blokes that they can keep completely under corporate control. Top Gear will become Motor Week UK.

Weekend Toy - 2005 Elise
Daily Driver - Hyundai Veloster N
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 PM

My prediction is Hammond and May will not continue doing Top Gear now that Clarkson is gone.

Maybe those three will move onto a different channel. Netflix, HBO maybe?

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliH View Post
The other aspect is that we the audience/people usually complain that stars/athletes/politicians get away with things that most of us would be thrown in jail for; yet once in a while when justice is served, we find all sorts of excuses for their behaviors. I find that interesting.
There are certainly plenty of people exactly like what you described.

I personally like him. All the things about him that annoy and offend lots and lots of folks, I find entertaining, but I don't believe I'm capable of being offended.

I wouldn't say his talent excuses his actions, but that's what you get from a guy like that, so no one should be surprised or upset about it. It's like the well overused Frog and Scorpion fable.

He called himself a tiger, but really, he's the scorpion.

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
post #11 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post
My prediction is Hammond and May will not continue doing Top Gear now that Clarkson is gone.

Maybe those three will move onto a different channel. Netflix, HBO maybe?
Not only can HBO or Netfix basically allow anything they want, they would know exactly what they are getting themselves into which probably means pushing the envelope even farther. I think that could be incredible.

post #12 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 PM

JEREMY CLARKSON --BBC WILL NOT BE RENEWING HIS CONTRACT FOR TOP GEAR

It's official.

Transmission – BBC Top Gear
BBC releases statement on Clarkson

Posted by Top Gear - 2:07 pm on Wednesday March 25, 2015

Tony Hall, the BBC’s Director-General, has released the following statement:

“It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

“I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.

“I want to make three points.

“First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

“Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.

“Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.

“The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series."

Last edited by LARRY; 03-25-2015 at 03:22 PM.
post #13 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:22 PM

post #14 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 PM

I have spent hundreds of hours with Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson.

There is no other automotive show as good and there probably never will be.

I hope the BBC backs down and comes to their senses.

Last edited by LARRY; 03-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.
post #15 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM

He punched someone repeatedly for ~30 seconds, unprovoked and then reported the incident himself. And admitted it was unprovoked. The BBC is publicly funded, they don't really lose anything. Syndication and merchandising sales, I guess.

You don't punch someone in the face at work and expect to keep your job.

'06 Lotus Exige, Laser Blue
post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 PM

I just posted to say that I will miss him.
Attached Images

Last edited by LARRY; 03-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Lotus Hopeful

"Top Gear by Netflix" would be fantastic.

But I always preferred May and the Hamster to Clarkson -- i appreciate the humor and everything, but his attitude just seemed a bit too abrasive. JMHO.
post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
RBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdun View Post
He punched someone repeatedly for ~30 seconds, unprovoked and then reported the incident himself. And admitted it was unprovoked. The BBC is publicly funded, they don't really lose anything. Syndication and merchandising sales, I guess.

You don't punch someone in the face at work and expect to keep your job.
Top Gear generates some $225 million in revenue for the broadcaster’s commercial arm, BBC Worldwide.

Do it once. Do it right.
post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Garage
Kudos to BBC for not tolerating bullying regardless of the impact.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 PM
craigyirush

I enjoy TG, but for the most part, it's a variety show, and very gimmicky at times. I much prefer Fifth Gear which is all about driving cars, not dropping pianos on them (etc.), or the wonderfully detailed videos of a Chris Harris.

And I agree with one of the posts above - you can't punch someone at work and keep your job.

I will, though, miss Clarkson's humour. Remember him once saying he'd rather be a member of his own firing squad than drive the car he was reviewing (think it was a first gen Prius!).

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in