Top Gear News - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM

I found many episodes worthy of watching repeatedly, and others were, well, once was enough. But I was a fan. However, I feel the BBC did the right thing.

In the US, especially in the sports, entertainment, and political circles we turn our heads to behavior that would result in most people losing their jobs, and even worse, wind up in jail. Hmmm, perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here...

'08 Elise SC, Sport and Touring Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:49 PM

I personally like Jeremy Clarkson’s bits in Top Gear, and he will be missed; but I applaud the BBC for a decision based on facts and fairness, and not on their bottom line.
post #23 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:00 PM

Okay so wheres that last episode, shouldn't it have leaked to the interwebs by now?

post #24 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Formerly EliseIn2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Kudos to BBC for not tolerating bullying regardless of the impact.
Agreed. Though I'll truly miss Top Gear, I also believe they made the right choice. Dammit, Jeremy, WHY DID YOU DO THIS!?!

However, I did notice over the past few years a decrease in the time spent talking about actual car performance and more time on buffoonery.

2017 Evora 400, MT, Racing Green, Alcantara Pack, 3rd cat delete
2014 Evora S 2+2, MT, Sienna Brown, Cognac, Larini ClubSport Valved Exhaust and Testpipe, GT4 wing (SOLD)
2011 1 Series M Coupe, Valencia Orange
2005 Elise, Laser Blue, Katana SC (sold)
1972 BMW 2002tii, Riviera Blue, M42 engine swap
post #25 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Garage
What happened to the days when men were men and a good punch in the mouth was accepted as a part of life. Hell we all deserve one now and again. When I was a kid that was just a part of gaining respect from each other.

Now crybabies run off to Medical for a good bruise. I was not raised that way.

I was not there, I can't say how appropriate it was or was not. But I sure respect Clarkson as being his own man and not a corporate controlled talking head.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #26 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM

When BBC realizes that they have lost their world audience, they will beg him back.

I have the solution

Have Jeremy, may, Hammond host topgear USA !!!!!
post #27 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Clarkson a do the show have been predictable "canned" for a long time. I have not watched in many years. Too many fake, scripted moments. It's not that it has become a variety show, it's that it became a lame variety show.

The earlier shows had greater authenticity. They didn't feel like an elaborate script.

I'm in the minority, but who cares. He killed the show years ago. Let's give Chris Harris the job. Let him take along a group of car friends. New adventures. New show.

2008 Lotus 211, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2013 Range Rover Evoque, 2016 Alfa 4C (on order)
>previous 22011 Aston Vantage V12, Carbon Edition, Porsche Cayman R, 2010 Audi R8 V10, 2012 Audi TT RS, 2009 Aston Martin Vantage,2008 Boxster S, 2010 Audi S4, 2011 Range Rover Sport
post #28 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Wonder anyone read Three Men in a Boat?
It is a must read and exam when I was in secondary school.
Jeremy, May, Hammond are similar to Jerome, George & Carl in the book.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #29 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 PM

I care about Jeremy Clarkson. He has always been the reason I watch Top Gear because he is intelligent and has a great sense of humor. What else has he done?

His biography:

Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born 11 April 1960) is an English broadcaster, journalist and writer who specializes in motoring. He is best known for co-presenting the BBC TV show Top Gear with Richard Hammond and James May from 2002 to 2015. He also writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun.

From a career as a local journalist in Northern England, Clarkson rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988. Since the mid-1990s, he has become a recognised public personality, regularly appearing on British television presenting his own shows and appearing as a guest on other shows. As well as motoring, Clarkson has produced programes and books on subjects such as history and engineering. From 1998 to 2000, he also hosted his own chat show, Clarkson.

His opinionated but humorous tongue-in-cheek writing and presenting style has often provoked public reaction. His actions both privately and as a Top Gear presenter have also sometimes resulted in criticism from the media, politicians, pressure groups and the public. He has also garnered a significant public following, being credited as a major factor in the resurgence of Top Gear as one of the most popular shows on the BBC.

On 25 March 2015, the BBC announced it would not renew Clarkson's contract in the aftermath of an incident in which he had verbally and physically attacked a Top Gear producer over a dispute at a hotel while filming on location.
Attached Images

post #30 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 PM

Attached Images

post #31 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 PM

And everyone at Top Gear, especially Jeremy, has always loved Lotus cars.
Attached Images

Last edited by LARRY; 03-25-2015 at 09:30 PM.
post #32 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:01 PM

Last edited by LARRY; 03-25-2015 at 09:29 PM.
post #33 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 PM

post #34 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 PM

C'mon guys, no hot food was provided after the day's filming. It's totally understandable why he punched the guy. You guys don't punch others when there's no hot food??!!! :-P
post #35 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM

OMG ARE WE ALL YELLING NOW?

What does this have to do with Lotus anything?

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #36 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFEVER View Post
Wonder anyone read Three Men in a Boat?
It is a must read and exam when I was in secondary school.
Jeremy, May, Hammond are similar to Jerome, George & Carl in the book.
Is that the one where one guys shoots the other guy in the back of the head?

/kidding

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #37 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coughy View Post
I have the solution

Have Jeremy, may, Hammond host topgear USA !!!!!
That would never work. 'Mercia is far more of a Pansie than the UK. Everyone gets a trophy here sir.

Hell, it'll be impossibly boring to see one of their crazy races here in the states unless they are done in Texas or Montana where speed limits are flexible at best.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #38 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:33 AM

So are you saying......

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
What happened to the days when men were men and a good punch in the mouth was accepted as a part of life. Hell we all deserve one now and again. When I was a kid that was just a part of gaining respect from each other.

Now crybabies run off to Medical for a good bruise. I was not raised that way.

I was not there, I can't say how appropriate it was or was not. But I sure respect Clarkson as being his own man and not a corporate controlled talking head.
That I can disagree with someone at work, punch them in the face, come back to work the next day and call myself a man? And in this case "the man" you are describing got upset over the catering and punched someone!!! Yes that is very manly! Punch someone over the spread at work....Now if you want to talk about a man who defends his child, wife or the needy at his own expense....Yes I call that a man. Please go ahead and punch freely. But Clarkson does not fall into that category....Prima donna, definetely. To each his own I guess.
post #39 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
What happened to the days when men were men and a good punch in the mouth was accepted as a part of life.

This. Did anyone boo hoo when Clarkson punched Piers Douchebag Morgan? No. BBC has made a colossal mistake. This producer could have easily been paid off to keep quiet. Hell, I'd let Clarkson punch me in the face for a measely 50 grand. This is just very bad business on their part. Clarkson May and Hammond will now move on to another network and make more money.
post #40 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 PM

Piers isn't clarkson's boss though.

I wonder how much any of this even matters though. Those three would've asked for so much money during the upcoming contract renewal negotiations that there would've been rumors of them quitting anyways. BBC makes enough money with their other programs (the network is kind of a big deal for more than just TG) that they can afford to lose the hosts. This all saved the BBC a ton of time and money with lawyers and future salary increases.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in