US Grand Prix advice COTA - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

US Grand Prix advice COTA

Hi I am planning on going to the US Grand Prix in Austin TX for just the actual race on 10/22 and am looking at buying tickets. I am just going for the actual race day not the 3 day event. Any advice on the best place to get tickets, best corners, best seats for view vs shade / rain cover would be much appreciated !

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 VW Touareg - Support vehicle for all of the above

Last edited by delise; 07-07-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 AM

My favorite area to view the cars is around Turn 15. You can see them coming off the long fast back straight and through several corners before they move out of sight. There are some covered areas under part of the front grandstands, but you only see the sides of the cars racing by (plus the pit and garage areas). I think the best day to actually see the cars and to be able to walk around a bit is on the Friday practice day.

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Scott ! Yeah I have been seeing Turn 15 and 12 mentioned a lot, seems like mid to upper might be good for seeing the whole track and lower for seeing cars close up. I guess you can also get up and walk around to the grassy areas and the tower as well and go back to your seats.

Do you park there at COTA or shuttle in or maybe Uber or taxi would be wise ?

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise View Post
Thanks Scott ! Yeah I have been seeing Turn 15 and 12 mentioned a lot, seems like mid to upper might be good for seeing the whole track and lower for seeing cars close up. I guess you can also get up and walk around to the grassy areas and the tower as well and go back to your seats.

Do you park there at COTA or shuttle in or maybe Uber or taxi would be wise ?
On race day, you will find it difficult to wander around the grassy areas because general admission ticket holders will have staked out every square inch of space.

My son and I did general admission for the inaugural race and we walked around the entire track on Friday to check out different vantage points. On Saturday, many of the gates and sections that had been open the day before were off limits. By Sunday, we found a couple slivers of grass on a hill near Turn 20 and it was risky to leave for food or a bathroom break, as the crowds kept expanding.

There is no good answer to the parking challenge. It is very pricy to park at the track, plus you end up walking long distances just to get to the entrance gate. I suspect that Uber and other companies will be adjusting their rates for surge pricing or whatever it's called.

If you want to enjoy the track and see some professional competition, check out the IMSA races or the upcoming WEC races around Labor Day. If you haven't been to F1 at COTA, it is certainly something for your bucket list. Be prepared for $10 beer!

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Will be there Sunday, upper portion very top edge of that upper grand stand Turn 15, hoping it does not rain much !

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...!4d-97.6358511

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise View Post
Will be there Sunday, upper portion very top edge of that upper grand stand Turn 15, hoping it does not rain much !

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...!4d-97.6358511
Just wondering if you can share with us, where you sourced tickets from and approx cost. Turn 15 higher rows are the BEST!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 PM

They are readily available from scalpers for ~ face value on craigslist and ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Formula-1-A...MAAOSw9c1Z0mMd

For example. Or I bought mine mid turn 15 about a month ago.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

We got them at vividseats.com if I remember right for about $600 each for just the race day. The seats were amazing and the rain moved out by 8AM. Great track I might go back some time when they are doing the Audi experience and try to drive it. To top it all off my company works with Red Bull Media and at the last minute I scored a 1 hour Red Bull racing garage tour and got to see Ricciardo dancing to the revving of his engine while they were working on it. And got to hold one of the $60K steering wheels and learn how it works, pretty crazy ! Definitely something I can cross off the bucket list !

If anybody is planning on going next year feel free to message me for some tips on attending the race, they don't make things very clear as far as where to go etc.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 10-27-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in