What's up with teenage girls? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

What's up with teenage girls?

Yesterday around 1:00 I was waiting at a stoplight minding my own business. Light turns green, traffic moves ahead slowly and then I'm hit from behind. After pounding the steering wheel a couple of times I look into the rear view mirror and watch the other driver fumble with something out of view. I point to the shoulder and pull over with the driver who hit me following along. An 18 year old girl turns out to be the driver of the other car. The damage is minor but I am more than irritated and I'll tell you why -

<rant>
I am weary of being crashed into by teenage girls.

On June 11th 12:30am I'm bringing my wife's truck home from work. I pass through an intersection and from the opposite direction a 16 year old girl on her learners permit (driving a Escalade) fails to yield, comes across the road and hits me head on. This totals my wife's completely paid for, truck, and injures me quite severely. The gaggle of cops that arrive make sure to point out to me that hey I should just, "buy a new truck because they are giving them away now." In the police report the accident is penned just as it happens yet there was no citation. Apparently the rules of the road do not apply to you if you're teenage female. They get a smile, a patient explanation of road rules people should know before driving a 5400lb vehicle, and a "don't do that again, OK? Teeeheee!"

In 2008 a few months before the above accident, back when we lived in San Jose my wife was driving her truck home from work. She gets to our street and there is a suburban in the middle of the road. My wife stops. The Suburban's reverse lights come on and the driver proceeds to ram my wife. My wife gets out of the car and the Suburban takes off. I'm sure my wife was thinking, "well fukk that." jumps back in her truck and chases after the Suburban which stops again. This time she just opens her door and sure enough the Suburban drives again (just like on the show Cops!). Eventually the Suburban does come to a final stop... when the 16 year old girl on her learners permit sees her mom running up the street frantically yelling. Yeah I guess the run part of hit and run doesn't work so well when you have the accident right in front of your own house.

Since the accident happened down the street from my house on a Saturday my wife rings me and I walk over. Mother seems like a completely genuine person. Daughter, stone cold, no remorse sporting the tramp stamp tattoo and a pot belly. Yeah she's bad ass. The cop doesn't want to give her a ticket for hit and run because it would cause her to wait an extra 6 months for her drivers license. Seriously? Again apparently the rules of the road do not apply to you if you're teenage female.

A mere 4 months before the above accident my wife was rear-ended by a minivan with... yeah you guessed it, a teenage female driver. No insurance.

1 month before that a car behind us was rear-ended by an illegal, teenage female driver. But it was all good because the car they hit was also driven by an illlegal with no insurance.

So when the cops showed up yesterday after I reported the accident I didn't even bother to tell them the insurance Madison provided me was expired and had a completely different name on it. Didn't bother telling them I thought she was probably texting on her phone when she hit me or that there was no logical reason for hitting me other than completely not paying attention. Instead I just smiled when they said no police report and thought about how ironic it was that I was just hit coming back from the store where I was picking up a support for an injury caused the last time I was hit by a teenage female driver.

</rant>

Last edited by nockpoint; 11-22-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM

I feel the same way....about everyone that drives like idiotic morons. So i feel you!!!

btw, were you on your lotus?? Is it alright??

Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

"Comfort is for kids. I would want to make my passengers weep in fear" - Agent One
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I was driving the Maxima thankfully. The rear bumper was brand new, it was torn off last year when a work van was cutting through spaces in a parking lot and cut too close to my parked car. It was driven by... by a teenage... j/k it was driven by a couple of guys who stopped, looked out the window at the damage, then drove away. Witness didn't bother to get the license number, didn't want to give her phone # for my insurance, and my bank said they didn't have an external facing cameras.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 AM

Glad you werent on your lotus and glad your alright

I think we seriously need to bring laws for banning texting while driving and talking on the phone while driving.

"Comfort is for kids. I would want to make my passengers weep in fear" - Agent One
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM

A few months ago I was almost t-boned while stopped at a red light by a teenage female driver. Her tires were screeching, and she just looked at me, laughed and swore when the front of her car came within a foot of my driver's door. They're a menace. Glad you're OK.

the1sen: why move forward with design when you can recreate a monstrosity from the past?
FIL: Have you ever heard of a threesome? I know its her sister, but they are Swedish. That $hit is totally accepted over there.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:08 PM

In Germany, it takes many hours of practice and testing to get a drivers license, and costs around $2000. If you can't afford the classes, you don't get to drive, period. There, driving is a priviledge. Here in the US, we "learn to drive" in high school, no track experience, no experience with loss of control, and little or no parking ability. (I ran into quite alot of things when I was a kid, so I am guilty too!) We feel like driving is a right. Something we are entitled to. Oh, and we are entitled to drive in the left lane on a 65mph limited road, going 58mph to keep that pesky green car in our mirror at bay! ;-)

Teens treat cars as live action video games, without regard to real live consequences. I know I certainly did. If we had better training, required kids to learn to drive on stick shift cars, and taught them to keep their cell phones off, things might improve. In the meantime, just be careful and wary.\

2013 Porsche Boxster (in silver and red, home at last!)
2011 BMW 128i cabrio, ///M Sport
2005 Elise in Racing Green with the touring pack (sold 8/6/12)
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
glb

sorry to hear of your troubles. I agree the teenage girls seem to have the rashness, lack of judgement of teens, and no skills at all.

Three times this month almost hit by kids: 2 females among them. each were simply dumb moves..

good you're ok.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:51 PM

This is a large part of the reason why I no longer ride sport bikes on the street.

2016 BMW M3
2012 Golf R
2011 Exige S260 - sold
2007 Exige S - sold
2005 Elise FF Turbo - sold
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Seb
BANNED

Tits, and ass. That's why.

I can rant all day about how I hate female teens my age driving big ass SUV's.

A guy that works at my apt complex stopped to compliment me on my Sentra SpecV (YAY ) and asked if it was new paint. My car is an 06 . He then tells me that his 17 year old daughter likes my car and wants one. So we chat a little, and I offer to teach his daughter how to drive a stick Then he tells me "My wife has other plans, she's going to buy her an SUV because it's safer." My jaw just dropped, and I responded with "safer for who, exactly?" He knew what I was getting at... and just ended the conversation right there. lol.

Seriously people, teach your kids to drive for f- sake. Drivers education in this country is a total joke. Typically taught by moron parents or some douche bag football coach with no qualifications.

England on the other hand... is no joke.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 AM

Ha...funny this thread is here.

I almost died yesterday in my mr2. If it wasnt my quick reaction time i would've ended up in the hospital with a Ford Explorer bumper through me. The way she was coming at me she would've definitely tore my car in half and kept going talking/texting on her phone.

After she missed me she ended up clipping a truck...

The cops were oh so very nice to her because she had DDs and no bra, it was a cold night. Then she had the nerve to tell me that she clipped the truck because of me, by this time i was steaming, i simply told the cop that the bitch almost killed me and walked away. I had witnesses that could back up my story and the truck drivers story.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Unfortunately, it's nothing really new - and I blame parents for a lot of it.

I still remember vividly around 10 years ago, I had taken my daughter to a soccer game - actually she had driven me, as she had her learner's permit and I took teaching my kids to drive as a serious thing to do.

A couple of the other father's were discussing their 16 year old daughters. One was saying that she was doing pretty good as she had her license for around 6 months and had only been in three "accidents". The other guy was commenting that his daughter had only been in two "accidents" in her first 6 months.

It took every bit of my self control to not explain to them how stupid they were.

For what it's worth, my kids are both in their mid 20's now, and there has only been one wreck - my daughter (around 22 at the time) slid down a very steep ice covered hill and bumped the rear or an SUV (the ABS were working overtime but didn't help). The police officer that had her call home had to calm her down as she was so upset that she had caused a wreck, that she couldn't stop crying (and she was afraid that I'd be upset).

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
Unfortunately, it's nothing really new - and I blame parents for a lot of it.

I still remember vividly around 10 years ago, I had taken my daughter to a soccer game - actually she had driven me, as she had her learner's permit and I took teaching my kids to drive as a serious thing to do.

A couple of the other father's were discussing their 16 year old daughters. One was saying that she was doing pretty good as she had her license for around 6 months and had only been in three "accidents". The other guy was commenting that his daughter had only been in two "accidents" in her first 6 months.

It took every bit of my self control to not explain to them how stupid they were.

For what it's worth, my kids are both in their mid 20's now, and there has only been one wreck - my daughter (around 22 at the time) slid down a very steep ice covered hill and bumped the rear or an SUV (the ABS were working overtime but didn't help). The police officer that had her call home had to calm her down as she was so upset that she had caused a wreck, that she couldn't stop crying (and she was afraid that I'd be upset).
I am certain you're right about parents, and equally certain you did a great job teaching your kids.

Ppl don't seem to take driving seriously, given all the stuff done simultaneously (texting, reading, phone, makeup, etc.)

Seem to have no idea of the force involved with a 4000 lb car doing only 30 mph.

Now, mfgrs adding more distractions....we are going the wrong way.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I am certain you're right about parents, and equally certain you did a great job teaching your kids.
Here in Virginia, my kids got their permits at age 15. So they had a year of me teaching them. They had to drive me every where in all kinds of weather (three inches of snow? - lets go to the parking lot - it's raining hard? - let's go learn to drive in the rain. ). By the time they turned 16 and actually got their license, they were sick of driving.

But even then, I would constantly question them about the laws, what do you think that guy up a head is about to do? What will you do if that guy doesn't stop at the stop sign you are passing? They actually got to where they would refuse to drive with me.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
Here in Virginia, my kids got their permits at age 15. So they had a year of me teaching them. They had to drive me every where in all kinds of weather (three inches of snow? - lets go to the parking lot - it's raining hard? - let's go learn to drive in the rain. ). By the time they turned 16 and actually got their license, they were sick of driving.

But even then, I would constantly question them about the laws, what do you think that guy up a head is about to do? What will you do if that guy doesn't stop at the stop sign you are passing? They actually got to where they would refuse to drive with me.
that is funny. But, I do the same thing. "Explain why you did that" (I can explain pretty much all my driving decisions...it's not hard if you have been thinking about what you are doing.)

I agree that at least a sense of anticipation can be taught. Geez, how often can we tell the car ahead is going to turn before it's driver seems to know?

OTOH, the women who got sick of driving with me as passenger had entirely different (perhaps better) reasons for refusing..

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Teaching teenagers the skills to drive and the privilege of driving is definitely not the norm. Driver's Ed classes don't cut it, but many parents think thats good enough then put the kid in an SUV.

Growin up, Automobiles in my family were (and stll are) sanctified holy objects. The rule in our house when the parents were out of town was if the house catches on fire, get the cars out of the garage and then call the fire dept.

The privilege to drive one was only granted after lots of lessons (on stick too), a blindfolded "can you find all the buttons test", and being able to name and change all fluids and tires myself. And the biggest thing... no new car... AND I had to do my own work on the car before I could drive it. Just so I could appreciate the time and effort that goes into it so that I wouldn't screw it up.

'17 Lamborghini Huracan Spyder, Grigio Titans (matte grey)

Previous: '07 Exige S, Laser Blue
'13 McLaren MP4-12C, Azure Blue
'16 Lamborghini Aventador Roadster, Nero Pegaso (black)
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Being a 16 year old guy, i know all about how terrible teenage girls are at driving. A person that i know who just happens to be a 16 year old girl ran a red light in her brand new lexus and hit 2 cars. She got all of the points taken off and did not get a fine as well. Then one of my friends who is a guy got a speeding ticket for going around 15 over and got a $270 dollar ticket.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
sorry to hear of your troubles. I agree the teenage girls seem to have the rashness, lack of judgement of teens, and no skills at all.
Three times this month almost hit by kids: 2 females among them. each were simply dumb moves..

good you're ok.
OH. MY. GOD.
this is a really brazen sexist comment coming from the ultra liberal.
theres hope for you yet.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Mulholland>SCC

I've been resisting this thread, but I'm just gonna say a quick note. There are a lot of dumb chicks and dumb dudes out there.

I got hit by a middle aged man driving a pick up truck. I was on my motorcycle. I am a 20 something year old blond female. He was 100&#37; at fault and the cops noted on the police report that he was at fault. The accident was severe enough to total my bike (not hard) and cause injury to myself. He was making an illegal u-turn from being parked at a curb and the police report states that. He however was not cited. So, when an accident occurs, who knows when the heck police decide to write citations and when they do not. Maybe because they did not witness the incident they do not write citations.

And I'm a female with plenty of speeding tickets. I have gotten out of zero tickets in my Lotus.

But I know most of you are just ranting here. So I won't comment further. Rant on.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
OH. MY. GOD.
this is a really brazen sexist comment coming from the ultra liberal.
theres hope for you yet.

I never claimed to not be a sexist!!!

Serially, I simply related what happened to me. BUT, I do think that perhaps boys (doing better in math, maybe physics, sports, etc) do have skills that, only in general, are shared less by females of same age.

Yes, I've read the articles about why girls don't do as well in math, but the results are the results.

post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Mulholland>SCC

Why don't girls do as well in math?

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in