15''s - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
This worried me at first, but Phil posted in an earlier thread that he ran 22in tires for an entire season without incident. Knock on wood*
My experience (with different cars) is that ABS isn't that sensitive to tire sizes as some would believe. That said I still try to use tires that are close to stock or at least have a relative ratio with regards to front/rear diameter.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Plug Whisperer

just for clarification, I was running 23" tall tires on all 4s and have been for a couple seasons now... If I said 22", it was in error...

The 23" tall tires and drop front uprights help with the roll centers a good bit. The shorter rear tire is a good thing, as the tire provides for some of the ride height lowering. The front just needs uprights or a custom T-pin to help with the centers on a lowerd car...

Bottom line, at the moment, a big fan of the 23" tall tirs and 15" wheels.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Elise Guru

+1 to Phil's comments. I like the 17s in the rear for gearing in AutoX and grip since we run the stock bodywork with our TDs or Custom 3 piece wheels with 15x8F and 17x9 rear. $550 for a set of Hankooks makes for a fun time.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

ok, so I was test fitting my wheels with an ET+25 offset. Spacers definitely needed due to the spokes hitting the front caliper. Luckily my friend (Fermi) had some spacers handy. I found that I will need a 20mm spacer to get the fronts to clear, which means I will need a new stud kit as well (I had just installed the GRP 2.25mm kit). The rears will need a 10/12 mm spacer to clear as well.

So should I sell my wheels (only $400 invested) and buy a set with a more ideal offset or just buy the spacers and new studs (90mm)? Spacers and new studs will be $200 after shipping.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 10:34 AM

Needing a 20mm spacer to clear a 15x8 +25 sounds pretty bad. I would try for a different wheel. The Advanti Storms look tasty.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionZoo View Post
Needing a 20mm spacer to clear a 15x8 +25 sounds pretty bad. I would try for a different wheel. The Advanti Storms look tasty.
The advanti storm is a +25 also I think it all depends on spoke design.

I ended up purchasing the studs and the spacers, everything clears so far and looks good. Once the tires arrive (Maxxis RC-1s) I will have them mounted and test fit again. Wish me luck!
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Plug Whisperer

Spokes are the deal. Need a wheel where the spokes are pushed to the rim...

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

So I finally got the wheels mounted and ready for season, here are a couple of quick pics!

Maxxis Victra RC1 tires 100tw 225/45/15 square. I probably could have gone with the 240s in the rear, but I want to see if the 225s will be enough grip and it will be nice to rotate the tires throughout the season.
Attached Images

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 PM

another 15x8 option you can get is the FFD EVO1

they come in 15x8 +20 and +32

The +32 would work best on the Lotus and it clears the front/rear calipers since I tried them on before
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
So I finally got the wheels mounted and ready for season, here are a couple of quick pics!

Maxxis Victra RC1 tires 100tw 225/45/15 square. I probably could have gone with the 240s in the rear, but I want to see if the 225s will be enough grip and it will be nice to rotate the tires throughout the season.
Did you wind up using the spacers?
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreRacecar View Post
Did you wind up using the spacers?
Yeah, i needed a +20 for the front to clear the calipers and a +12 in the rear to clear.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:22 PM

Wow so you wound up with an effective +5 offset?
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow so you wound up with an effective +5 offset?
Yeah, worked fine minus slight rubbing on the outer tire in heavy turns. A stiffer spring would fix that. Moving on to a new set up for next season with over fenders.
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 PM

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I just ordered a set of the 15x8 +25 Advanti S1s. Thinking I won't have to run a spacer, but maybe a small one. Also wrapped in a 225/45.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I just ordered a set of the 15x8 +25 Advanti S1s. Thinking I won't have to run a spacer, but maybe a small one. Also wrapped in a 225/45.
Nice! I think I read that you would need to run a +10 at most. I should have gone with those last year.
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 AM

Yeah, I just tried to mount them up. Gonna need at least a 6mm I think. I ordered a few 3mm from sector, hopefully they will get here before the weekend so I can mess with it.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Spokes are the deal. Need a wheel where the spokes are pushed to the rim...

-Phil
Interesting... I already have a set of 8" Konig Dial-In wheels on my Miata with 225/45/15 Hankooks on them. Never would have thought to throw those on the Lotus with spacers. The Dial-in wheel seems to have spokes pushed way to the outside (see pic).
Attached Images

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
Interesting... I already have a set of 8" Konig Dial-In wheels on my Miata with 225/45/15 Hankooks on them. Never would have thought to throw those on the Lotus with spacers. The Dial-in wheel seems to have spokes pushed way to the outside (see pic).
Oh interesting, it does seem like there might be more clearance there. Are they +25 also? What are you waiting for, go slap those on for us
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
Quote:
Oh interesting, it does seem like there might be more clearance there. Are they +25 also? What are you waiting for, go slap those on for us
Yes, they are +25... I'll try them out soon. I don't have any spacers, so just a test fit to see where they start from.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:33 AM

I'm thinking with the extra room you might not need even one.

Then for a 15/17 combo:

Use the 15x8 +25 Dial-In up front, with the 17x9 +45 Advanti S1 (with spacer) in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in