The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

215/45/16 Up Front

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  evansp60 
#1 ·
Only a 23.6" tall tire. Still shorter than factory. Tire rack shows the section width as being 8.4" on the Rival S 1.5s vs 8" for stock 195 A048s
Anyone running these?

I'm looking at XXR wheels which are 16x8, and I dislike the stretched look, plus trying to put as much tire up front as I can get without going to a 15" wheel setup
Rear would be 245/40/17, which I think is also right around stock height.

#2 ·
ok so I'm going to try this out and let everyone know.
My thought is that this might be a good middle ground for those that don't like the look of 15's but still want more front end grip.

They also make the XXR527s in 15s in +25 so there's no reason I couldn't get a set of matching 15" up front for under $200 if I need more grip up front.

#3 ·
I have xxr527 16x8 and 17x8.25
Tires are R888R in 205/45/17 and 235/40/17

The xxr527 has pretty aggressive offset (+20mm), and NEEDS a 6mm spacer to clear the front calipers. Puts you at +14 offset. You WILL NEED V2 arms and -2* camber.

Now put a wider 215 tire, and you should be fine, but i highly doubt it offers much more grip, and i doubt you actually need it. Just adds weight, money, and potentially rubbing.

You also cant go too low with this setup. At least I didnt. I would hate to see what happens if the front clam eats up the wheels during a deep compression.

#4 ·
I have the V2 arms and the negative camber is maxed out, and I still don't have enough front end grip. If the wider front tires don't help I'll machine the arms to go to -3 degrees.
With that offset and tire will I be closer to rubbing on the inside or the outside?

I can tear apart an engine and trans, but I still for the life of me can't get offsets corrcect, came from american cars where they talked about backspace in inches.

#5 ·
Revisiting this topic. 215/45 R16 on a bone stock Elise with LSS wheels... Think there will be rubbing concerns?

It's hard to say because I have had 205/50's which were ~0.6" taller but the section width was ~0.5" narrower (based on a 6.5" rim, not 7", so the tire could have been wider), and the tread was ~1" narrower than the stock 195/50 Yokohama's (man those have a wide contact patch!).

The 215/45 is now 0.7" wider section width (still 0.2" less tread width) on the same diameter, which seems like a lot to ask of a little car. But is width that close of a tolerance? Or is height the bigger concern? Unfortunately I dismounted my old tires already so I can't take measurements :(

Thanks,

Keith

p.s. Please do not try to sell me on a particular tire. I am just looking for information on fitment if anyone has any experience with this size.

#6 ·
Revisiting this topic. 215/45 R16 on a bone stock Elise with LSS wheels... Think there will be rubbing concerns?
Good luck getting them to heat up properly. This is the trouble, we think going with wider rubber is the solution for more front end grip. The problem is that a wider tire won't get hot enough to operate within the proper temp range that it needs. You end up with a wide tire that is cold with no grip. I've posted more info on my blog: Tire Selection

Of course, if you are taking tire temps and able to get within the optimal range, ignore my comments.

#10 ·
You guys are making too big of an issue off this when other reputable lotus vendors are autox ing with wider front r compounds which are harder to bring up to Temp.
They always do. The racer-group around here think they know everything about everything (especially tires :facepalm). Tires are inexpensive in the long run, so try what you want, it's no big deal if you don't live your life a 10th of a second at a time.

#8 ·
My question was "will it fit." It was not "will it come up to temperature." I don't live in California, I don't even know what "canyon runs" are and, I don't normally race my car. I use my car less than 1500 miles per year on the few sunny days we have between June and September. I'm looking for a size that doesn't upset my ABS which I believe was a problem with my previous choice since the fronts were so tall. If anyone on here has ever put a 215/45-16 on a stock Elise, that would be helpful. If I don't hear from anyone, I'm going to order them this week and hopefully have them installed in the next few weeks. I hope they will fit!

Keith

#9 ·
I run 225/45-16 fronts and 255/40-17 rears without any problem.
I don't understand the front grip issues, if you setup your camber and toe-in properly
you should be able to balance the car quite easily. I have a neutral to rear bias on my
car without the need for extravagent modifications. I track regularly so it's been well tested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.