Another Exige s/s brake line thread...quick question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By glb
  • 2 Post By jmcwpb
  • 1 Post By tomrev
  • 1 Post By Glen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another Exige s/s brake line thread...quick question

Honest..I have read about 20 different posts about brake bleeding, s/s brake line install, etc. And I'm trying to pull them all together to a single workflow... The Sands post is great as always but covers fluid replacement not line replacement, though he does comment about the need for the scan tool unless you opt for manual abs engagement if air was introduced into the line.

I am replacing my brake lines with StopTech s/s lines front and rear. I understand the goal is to do this but somehow avoid:
-draining the m/c
-introducing air into the ABS system

Or is this unavoidable?

Do folks tend to depress and block the brake pedal to prevent the m/c from draining completely while replacing the lines? Does does this also prevent air from getting into the ABS system?

Is there some magic dance of plugging the lines as I remove and install so as to reduce the amount of air introduced into the system?

Thanks!!

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:18 AM

Nope nothing magic, nothing you could do to avoid air short of maybe leaving the reservoir full and constantly topping it off as you spill out the fittings but that would make a mess!

It's just not that hard to bleed the brakes on this, and I never had any trouble bleeding the ABS despite many many times having the brakes apart before I ditched the ABS. I always just bled the pretty well, then drove around a little, then bled them again. If I take the entiire system apart I woud initially bleed with a cheaper brake fluid then flush it out to save $ since it might take a fair bit.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 AM
glb

See below.
VisualEchos likes this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
See below.
I've come across your post many times during my readings!

-Smoky
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Nope nothing magic, nothing you could do to avoid air short of maybe leaving the reservoir full and constantly topping it off as you spill out the fittings but that would make a mess!

It's just not that hard to bleed the brakes on this, and I never had any trouble bleeding the ABS despite many many times having the brakes apart before I ditched the ABS. I always just bled the pretty well, then drove around a little, then bled them again. If I take the entiire system apart I woud initially bleed with a cheaper brake fluid then flush it out to save $ since it might take a fair bit.
Good idea! Thanks!

So if I change the lines, I am draining the fluid from the m/c, no matter what. Then it is just starting from scratch; drain, change lines, fill, bleed, drive, bleed, drive and engage ABS a few times, then bleed, topping off throughout of course. Is that about it?

-Smoky

Last edited by Smoky; 05-26-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 AM

You can take the brake reservoir cap off then cover the reservoir and put the cap back on. That blocks the vent and will slow down the leakage.
glb and Smoky like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:46 AM

Also, because you are doing one corner at a time, open up the line at the in-board side, and pop in a small plastic line cap, which usually comes with the new lines. It isn't a perfect fit, and some fluid will seep out, but if you have the new line and tools all ready to go, you can swap out a single line, clean things up, add a little to the master, and repeat. I'v swapped lines and calipers this way, and blead the corner before moving on, and never uncovered the bottom of the MC. Piece of cake usually.
Smoky likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
I've come across your post many times during my readings!
Certainly not more than once or twice. Posting the same thing over and over just wouldnít make any sense.

But seriously . . . most auto parts suppliers sell a set of rubber plugs of various sizes that can be used to temporarily plug lines or ports in brake calipers. Iíve replaced lines and removed/replaced brake calipers using these plugs to limit fluid loss on my Elise and other vehicles. Itís quite easy to limit fluid loss to much less than a teaspoon (plus whatís in the line). It can be very helpful to have a second set of hands to hand you plugs or hold their finger over a line while you grab a plug.

I pulled all the calipers on my Elise, plugged the lines, emptied the calipers, painted them, then replaced the calipers (after pre-filling them). I didnít have any more difficulty bleeding the brakes than on any other occasion. As you suggested, I filled the system, swapped out the old fluid for new, drove it a few miles and activated the ABS, then bled the calipers again. I got very little air on the second pass (still worth it, of course). I use a pressure bleeder, but you can use a vacuum bleeder or even just the brake pedal and get similar results.

Let me know if you have any questions about what Iíve described.

Glen
Smoky likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 PM
glb

Please note:

I get paid by the word.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can't get fluid to move through rear/right caliper (haven't tried others yet) using a Motive pressure bleeder @ 15psi. I get a little to shoot out of the caliper bleeder then it stops. Setup seems fine otherwise. I have been and will keep searching but wondering if anyone has an idea as to why this might be? Seems to spurt out a little at a time when I pump the brake pedal.

Thanks

-Smoky

Last edited by Smoky; 07-21-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talked to the guys at Motive today, and their suggestion was spot-on which was that I needed to try again with the new stainless steel lines as the old lines had aged and swollen to the point where 15 PSI wasn't going to work anymore. Hooked it up with the new lines and the bleeder work great!

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in