Anybody have any experience with BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cyow5
  • 1 Post By maduhbee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Anybody have any experience with BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2?

Specifically

Tire Details - Discount Tire

I drive the car on public roads and it will more than likely never see the track. To be honest I drive it like a grandma most of the time.

I have LSS wheels by the way.

Any recommendations on sizing? I was looking at 225/45ZR17 but should I go with something slightly taller?

This is just for the rears.

2006 ST Exige - GT-28RS, Darton sleeved/decked/line-honed, ARP hardware, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, MWR valves/springs/retainers, RC injectors, Walbro pump, CWorx oil pump, Moroso oil pan, S111 TrackMounts, Spearco intercooler, GReddy catch-can, Turbosmart BOV, Fidanza clutch/flywheel CF Panels/scoops, S111 Rear Diffuser/Rear-Panel Delete/discNOIR Brakes w/SS lines/RTDbrace/Towhook, APR CF Splitter Alpine unit w/MBQuart, CF binnacle/shifter, Schroth harness, S111 shift brace (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM

Garage
i've actually been looking into those as well as a street option (since they make a 245/16/45 for the rear)... if you end up going with them give us your feed back

also post pics of the fitment (specifically the sidewall structure after mounting)... always interested in how certain tires spill out more than others

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I decided to go with these in 235/45/17. I'll try to take some pictures tonight to show how they look.

2006 ST Exige - GT-28RS, Darton sleeved/decked/line-honed, ARP hardware, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, MWR valves/springs/retainers, RC injectors, Walbro pump, CWorx oil pump, Moroso oil pan, S111 TrackMounts, Spearco intercooler, GReddy catch-can, Turbosmart BOV, Fidanza clutch/flywheel CF Panels/scoops, S111 Rear Diffuser/Rear-Panel Delete/discNOIR Brakes w/SS lines/RTDbrace/Towhook, APR CF Splitter Alpine unit w/MBQuart, CF binnacle/shifter, Schroth harness, S111 shift brace (Sold)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM

I'm using these now and am very happy with them. 235/45 rear, and 205/50 fronts.

Great treadwear rating (I commute 120 mi/day), and decent enough for some spirited driving.

I haven't taken them on track (not sure if I ever will), but will definitely report in when I do.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM

Here are mine at 245/40.
My traction control isn't happy about accelerating at medium power from 0-30 while in a slight turn.
Update: These rear tires were at 34psi, now at 30 psi my traction control is a lot happier.

2006 Exige - Arctic Silver w/ HIDs and red leather.
2012 A7 - 4 doors and a trunk.
[Looking for Evora near California]

Last edited by Im_Not_In_San_Fran; 03-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM

I put 35k miles on these tires for my last car. They are good for the price. The rubber seems decently soft compared to other tires in its category but they never built drivers confidence for me. I always feel like they are a bit unpredictable. They are great for the street but IMO I would not bother doing a track day on them.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Garage
I had these tires also: verb good handling for the streets, spirited driving and even wet weather. However, traction dropped dramativally and felt greasy after a couple laps on the track and auto cross. I had them for about 30K+ miles, would buy them again only for street driving.

Modded but still NA!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Less is Better

Reviving-

I'm looking at these for my street driven Elise with the LSS option. I'm thinking of going with the 205/45 in front to avoid rubbing. So my questions are

(1) Has anyone tried this size and had rubbing?
And
(2) How are these for steering response, I don't want to lose the feel I get with the A048's but I want more wet and cooler weather traction.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Love my Toyo Proxes T1R

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
Love my Toyo Proxes T1R

They don't have any good sizes for the stock wheels in the t1r.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 PM

I don't know what your talking about..I have them on my LSS wheels and they work great

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
They don't have any good sizes for the stock wheels in the t1r.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
I don't know what your talking about..I have them on my LSS wheels and they work great
How long ago did you buy them?
Attached Images

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Reviving-

I'm looking at these for my street driven Elise with the LSS option. I'm thinking of going with the 205/45 in front to avoid rubbing. So my questions are

(1) Has anyone tried this size and had rubbing?
And
(2) How are these for steering response, I don't want to lose the feel I get with the A048's but I want more wet and cooler weather traction.
I have these in 205/45/16 and 225/45/17. I haven't been on track with them, but have not experienced any rubbing during mountain drives. They have good grip for spirited driving and definitely let you know when they are losing grip. I can't comment on steering response since the tires that came on the car were all seasons

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 PM

I don't have a lotus yet, but my impressions from 2 miatas might be useful. I think these are great for the street and for improving skills at the track.

Street: I think these are an excellent street tire. They are not great at anything, but are middling good at everything. Medium grip, great in the rain, good feel, not too loud. Cant comment on longevity in street use. For performance at the limit, see below.

Track: skip barber racing school uses these tires. I did 3 days at lime rock on them in an MX-5 (3rd gen miata) and then got a set for my first gen track car. Grip is low for the track, but their breakaway is quite progressive and confidence inspiring. They make lots of noise before they start sliding. 3rd day it was pouring buckets and these tires were really impressive. I lost count of the number of times i had one end of the car or the other sliding and never spun or put 4 off.
I bought a set for my first gen track car and had similar results in dry and wet. Have found them quite durable, and that's obviously a prerequisite for the skippy folks. I did get mine shaved to 6/32, same as the school does, that may have made them hold up better for track use.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Less is Better

I've been able to put a few miles on my comp 2s and thought I'd report. 1st thing I noticed when comparing the comps to the a048s both unmounted was that the sidewall on the comp2 is actually stiffer.

On the car, this translates into the same immediate steering response as the a048, quite a relief. It also ensures that the car looses none of it's precious road feel. All the little bits of information that come through the steering wheel and suspension haven't changed.

I'm also happy to report that the switch to 205/45 on the front has no negative effects on effort or feel and there's been no hint of rubbing.

As to grip, I haven't pushed the car enough to get a good feel for any differences with the a048 on the road, but I suspect it's not significant enough for me to notice without specifically looking for it. The car won't be tracked.

So overall, I'm quite happy with these tires and would recommend them.

Last edited by me73; 02-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 PM

Tires

I am on my second set with no issues - long life tires, decent grip, work well in the rain - spirited driving is ok but I would not push it too awfully hard - I have taken these on the Tail of the Dragon, Diamondback, Moonshiner and such - no issues but I may not be pushing as hard as others - who knows-

The tires on the car I bought it with were getting pretty bare - 3 days after I bought it I went "skating" during a rain shower on I-40 near Winston Salem - not a fun experience at all!

I drive a lot and in all types of weather and I am glad I have tires that are suited to all conditions -

No rubbing at all -

Best,

Ash
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 AM

My experience with these tires after... approximately 200 miles on them, with a free spirited driving in the mountains: They're quite unpredictable from about 30-70 MPH in turns... They tend to loose grip a lot.... which may cause you to spin out. However, just a cruise with mild turns, you wont have much trouble.. On my Rota Torques, I'm running 205/50r16 fronts and 245/40r17 @ 26/29. Thinking about dropping it a little more to probably 22/26 for even more contact..
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
My experience with these tires after... approximately 200 miles on them, with a free spirited driving in the mountains: They're quite unpredictable from about 30-70 MPH in turns... They tend to loose grip a lot.... which may cause you to spin out. However, just a cruise with mild turns, you wont have much trouble.. On my Rota Torques, I'm running 205/50r16 fronts and 245/40r17 @ 26/29. Thinking about dropping it a little more to probably 22/26 for even more contact..
I found them to actually give away very gradually. The limit isn't as high as, say, an R888, but it isn't intended to be since it has more of a rain bias.
me73 likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:37 PM

These tires suck and I would not recommend them. I'm getting flashbacks to when I installed some on an S2000. Ugh. Almost any tire is better. Look to Bridgestone for your good tire needs.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 AM

after taking the course and running the skidpad on these tires, they're actually VERY predictable. I just didn't know how to handle my elise at the limit! Awesome street tires, and good for learning on the track with a bit of fun!
me73 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in