Anyone Running Different Brake Compounds Front to Rear - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Anyone Running Different Brake Compounds Front to Rear

Hello All,

Just about to replace my brake pads and am looking to shift the brake bias slightly to the rear by running different compounds. I have an S240 with the AP Racing BBK and am wondering if anyone is running GLOC or any other with more aggressive pads in the REAR ie. G-Loc R8's in the front and G-Loc R10's in the rear.

If so, would you be able to share your experience and if running more aggressive pads in the rear made a different?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 AM

I was running Carbon Lorraine RC6 front and 8 rear, it was much better then stock. However I think with the larger front brakes you will need even more then this, and that might get tricky to drive.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ... better as in ... overall braking, ability to trail brake? And do you mean I'll need to go to an even more aggressive rear with the AP's in the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I was running Carbon Lorraine RC6 front and 8 rear, it was much better then stock. However I think with the larger front brakes you will need even more then this, and that might get tricky to drive.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomby_U View Post
Thanks ... better as in ... overall braking, ability to trail brake? And do you mean I'll need to go to an even more aggressive rear with the AP's in the front?
Yeah sorry, overall braking distance went down, and rotation under trail braking went up.

I think that for myself I still did not have enough rear brakes with the 8's in the rears and that a bigger gap would have been ideal. You situation is even "worse" so you might need to go 2 compounds between front and rear, but that could lead to a weird situation.

Also check out the Cobalt brakes, I just set a new PB and lap record at my home track (COTA) on a set of 3's you could maybe do 3 or 4 front and 2 rear?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomby_U View Post
Start with small differences. The R10 and R8 split that you propose is a good start. Come prepared to swap in R12 rears - if the R10 are not enough. Your braking style and how much heat you actually get into the brakes will dictate if it works for you. Tires, aero, etc will also play a part. The G-loc pads don't have the hard initial bite of the CL pads so will be more forgiving for this type of experimentation.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Start with small differences. The R10 and R8 split that you propose is a good start. Come prepared to swap in R12 rears - if the R10 are not enough. Your braking style and how much heat you actually get into the brakes will dictate if it works for you. Tires, aero, etc will also play a part. The G-loc pads don't have the hard initial bite of the CL pads so will be more forgiving for this type of experimentation.
He is definitely right that a pad with less bite will be better for experimenting with.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks gents ... decided to go with Carbotech XP8's in the front and XP10's in the rear to see how it changes the balance and performance. Will go to XP12's in the rear if it's not aggressive enough
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:35 AM

I have the xp10 in front and the xp12 in the rear. I find this setup to be better balanced. As previously stated, rotation under trail braking goes up but to be honest, it was nearly non-existent before.

'06 Exige Chrome Orange | NA | Touring | Traction Control | Cup Air Box | FastWorks Torque 200 | PPE Headers | PPE Cat Delete | LBH Racing Raptor Exhaust | Engine Mount Inserts | Penske DA with 600/800 springs | BOE Toe-links | Shaved Steering Arms | Sector 111 Harness Bar | Schroth Harnesses | Shifter Reinforced | DBW Pedals | DIY Clutch Stop | Team Dynamics 1.2's | Sector 111 Ultradisks | BOE TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | Radium Coolant Expansion Tank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 AM

I'm running cobalt x4 and x3, front ap radical with full floating and rear the stock front ones, it really makes a difference in the track and no issues when cold, just a minor noise till get hot enough.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Rehashing a bit of an old thread but if I have RC5+ up front would you guys suggest RC6 or RC8s out back with stock brakes?

It seems like putting 4 pots out back are overkill even with 1 compound difference, if I have to go 2 compounds less agressive out back and spend $1,000+ I might as well first try going a compound or 2 more aggressive with the stock rears and not mess with the braking system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in