AP Racing 2-pot caliper images - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

OK, ok - enough discussion about piston size.

In case anyone needs replacement bleed screws, these pieces from Pegasus Racing (P/N 3266-03) fit just fine. They're M10x1.0, 1.25" long. I'm replacing mine because the sacrificial zinc coating had corroded away, exposing the carbon steel beneath.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine.gun.kelly View Post
Would you be so kind to explain to us all why the only dimension on that drawing in "inches" is the piston diameter if that was not the piston diameter?
From the drawing
Quote:
1.75" ( Ø44.45mm)BORE REF.
"BORE REF" refers to the Bore diameter naming convention, as @exigegus and @Formulabob mentioned, and also the O-ring size. O-rings are not sized to be exactly the same diameter as the piston... or else they wouldn't work. The AP O-ring part document http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp4...Temp%20SIB.pdf lists parts in " and mm, since the O-ring suppliers have specified them this way. If the Bore were exactly 44.45 mm [1.75"], then the piston could not be 44.5 mm as AP specifies. It's a naming convention that AP apparently specifies these particular pistons as 44.5 mm, the bores as 44.45 mm [1.75"], the o-rings as 1.75" and the calipers as 2x 1.75" Radial Mount

You were jumping on the OP and being pedantic. My intention was to show you how pedantic you were being.

Most people are able to figure out that if they measure a piston at 44.41mm and the closest thing the manufacturer offers is a 44.5mm... Then that's what they'll order...

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
From the drawing

"BORE REF" refers to the Bore diameter naming convention, as @exigegus and @Formulabob mentioned, and also the O-ring size. O-rings are not sized to be exactly the same diameter as the piston... or else they wouldn't work. The AP O-ring part document http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp4...Temp%20SIB.pdf lists parts in " and mm, since the O-ring suppliers have specified them this way. If the Bore were exactly 44.45 mm [1.75"], then the piston could not be 44.5 mm as AP specifies. It's a naming convention that AP apparently specifies these particular pistons as 44.5 mm, the bores as 44.45 mm [1.75"], the o-rings as 1.75" and the calipers as 2x 1.75" Radial Mount

You were jumping on the OP and being pedantic. My intention was to show you how pedantic you were being.

Most people are able to figure out that if they measure a piston at 44.41mm and the closest thing the manufacturer offers is a 44.5mm... Then that's what they'll order...
Nope...wrong again. It is NOT a naming convention, it is the nominal design size.

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Sig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post

Compliments of your AZ counterpart, Mr. Zust:
Do you have those installed on your car? Have you had them in long enough to have had to change your brake pads yet? It would be very interesting to see the back of the brake pad after some use...

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Do you have those installed on your car? Have you had them in long enough to have had to change your brake pads yet? It would be very interesting to see the back of the brake pad after some use...
We've been using these pistons for years in some pretty intense braking. Not sure how many sets we've sold over the years. It's easily triple digits. Whatever implication you're attempting to make is unfounded, JJ.

Phil
ERDoc74 likes this.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
.., JJ.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Whatever implication you're attempting to make is unfounded, JJ.

Phil
I thought the same thing when MGK came on the scene but I am just not sure. Can the mods check ip addresses? Not definitive as ip's are easy to cover up.

On the subject of BOE's SS pistons, I have been running them for a few years and they have been fine.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:21 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
I thought the same thing when MGK came on the scene but I am just not sure. Can the mods check ip addresses? Not definitive as ip's are easy to cover up.

On the subject of BOE's SS pistons, I have been running them for a few years and they have been fine.
Way ahead of you there.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Sig

Garage
Oops…it looks like I stepped on somebody’s toes or sore spot by accident. Or there’s some history going on here. Photos aren’t allowed to be requested here? Did I miss something in the regs?

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Photos aren’t allowed to be requested here?
Haven't used these pistons before - no feedback yet.

Brakes are painted, reassembled and system bleeding underway:

I used VHT caliper paint... which even after baking at 200 F per the instructions doesn't seem to have adhered to the AP racing anodize finish very well. I had a few scars on the calipers from wheels weights hitting due to poor placement on 15" wheel barrels. The scars and file clean up work meant anodize was missing in some areas, which necessitated a new finish, i.e., paint. We'll see how it holds up.

Yes, the original brake lines are still in place. After reading about the install hassle - I opted to wait until the next time I have the front clam removed.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM
The Enforcer

I think the calipers look good. VHT is a decent product.

The problem I have with some caliper paint kits is that usually the calipers look like someone took a bad paintbrush to them.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 AM

Hi, someone can tell me the length of the piston? Tks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in