Base Elise AutoX Tires - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Base Elise AutoX Tires

Hi all-

Hardware: bone stock 2009 Elise. I just picked this car up a couple of months ago and the last owner had recently replaced the tires. It's currently equipped with OEM replacement Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07's. That's my problem...I want to run this car in SCCA Solo street class (SS) and unfortunately the AD07's have a UTQG of 180. Minimum UTQG for street classes is now 200, so what to do? I would like to keep the OEM Elise wheels as going wider, even to a standard LSS width up front, will require that I apply ALL of the LSS options to the car in order to run it in SS class. So...I'm really at odds with tire size options for the narrow 5.5-inch front wheels. I've spent a few hours reading the tire related forums here already and either found this issue not addressed with regard to SCCA, or met with skepticism and doubt (like whether or not it's a good idea to put 205/50/16's up front and then run hard on track day).

I'm pretty well convinced that a 5.5-inch wheel should not have more than a 195 width mounted. There are not a lot of good track tire options in this size (be that 195/45/16 or 195/50/16). On the rear, there are many ways to go, however, I don't want to upset the balance of the car and am concerned as to what impact a 245 width on the rear may have (should I go that wide). To add to these dilemmas, it appears that some of the favorite tires are no longer available in the sizes what work for me.

Anyone running SCCA Solo SS right now with a base Elise? What is your tire configuration and how do the handling characteristics compare to your stock setup?

Thanks,

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLotus View Post
Hi all-

Hardware: bone stock 2009 Elise. I just picked this car up a couple of months ago and the last owner had recently replaced the tires. It's currently equipped with OEM replacement Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07's. That's my problem...I want to run this car in SCCA Solo street class (SS) and unfortunately the AD07's have a UTQG of 180. Minimum UTQG for street classes is now 200, so what to do? I would like to keep the OEM Elise wheels as going wider, even to a standard LSS width up front, will require that I apply ALL of the LSS options to the car in order to run it in SS class. So...I'm really at odds with tire size options for the narrow 5.5-inch front wheels. I've spent a few hours reading the tire related forums here already and either found this issue not addressed with regard to SCCA, or met with skepticism and doubt (like whether or not it's a good idea to put 205/50/16's up front and then run hard on track day).

I'm pretty well convinced that a 5.5-inch wheel should not have more than a 195 width mounted. There are not a lot of good track tire options in this size (be that 195/45/16 or 195/50/16). On the rear, there are many ways to go, however, I don't want to upset the balance of the car and am concerned as to what impact a 245 width on the rear may have (should I go that wide). To add to these dilemmas, it appears that some of the favorite tires are no longer available in the sizes what work for me.

Anyone running SCCA Solo SS right now with a base Elise? What is your tire configuration and how do the handling characteristics compare to your stock setup?

Thanks,

-Tim
Hi Tim,

I think you'll find that the vast majority of Elise auto-xers switch to the LSS configuration in order to take advantage of the 6.5" wide front wheels. You can also opt to go +/- 1" in diameter (typically down to 15" front wheels) and take advantage of the larger selection of tires/wheels available in those sizes. The 205/45/16 RE-71R and RS3v2s are popular. Again, those would require the wider 6.5" wheels, though. The Konig Backbone wheels with 1/8" spacers in the front are a great bang-for-the-buck solution when looking for an LSS wheel setup. I'm sure the people in your region wouldn't mind if you used base springs with LSS wheels for a while until you update the full LSS suspension spec (really just a spring change, you can continue using your base Bilstein dampers if you'd like).

The Yokohama AD07s are about the only extreme performance tire (though, several generation old at this point) that would work well on the 5.5" tires. You *might* be able to squeeze the 205/45/16s onto the 5.5" wheels. Weirder things have been tried in auto-x. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 PM

I ran base wheels with 205-50 Dunlop Star Specs up front, and 235-45 in rear. I had a little rubbing on the front fender-liner that I could have cured with a bit more ride height. The tires look a bit silly on the wheels, but they work. I don't think 205-45 will fit on 5.5", though, and the RE71 is taller than the Dunlop in 205-50. I still have the Dunlop mounted, can send photo via email if you wish so you can see how 205 looks (same name at gmail).

I've run AD07, DZ101 star spec, RS3, and RE71 (not all on factory wheels). The RE71 is so much faster than the rest it's amazing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I ran the car for the remainder of the season but ended up going with the RE-71R in 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 this year. No rubbing, not too ridiculous of a sidewall bulge on the fronts, and I am now cleaning house in A-Street class. The RE-71R's are SO sticky. They don't need much heat to work, don't run too warm except under the worst of abuse, and have transformed the car into what I thought it could do in stock trim.

Thanks for all your recommendations and advice. 🏁🏎
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:52 AM

Hello,

Picture of 205-50-16 re71r on stock 5.5 inch. Did 2 autocross event and very light rubbing

Also adding a picture comparing with 195-50-16 yokohama a048.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in