Best of all worlds: BWR Non-Adjustable Penske Shocks with Intro pricing! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Best of all worlds: BWR Non-Adjustable Penske Shocks with Intro pricing!

During our Epic cross-country drive in an Elise from New Hampshire to Arizona, I had alot of time to contemplate the suspension on every road type and condition imaginable. See that thread here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/b...shocks-266866/

During that trip I realized in the first hour just how bad the BASE model shocks are on the Lotus. Mind you that I say this understanding that the BASE shocks are the best of the Bilstein offerings from Lotus!!!! I'm lucky. Every Lotus we have flies on a responsive compliant cloud of double-adjustable Penske shocks that we've developed with hundreds of hours of dyno and road time.

During the first part of the trip, I did not think I would be able to make it home. I always planned to go to Penske, but not to add shocks. As luck would have it they had some already in queue and I bolted them on there. It didn't make the seats anymore comfortable but it did make the car immensely more liveable WHILE having more than 2X the spring rate.

Over the remaining 2500 miles, I kept thinking about guys like Komiko that I bought the car from. He might go to the track or autocross once or twice but really they bought the car to enjoy the country roads or even as a daily driver.

Let's face it sometimes we just want to hit the easy button. Give me a Lotus that rides AND handles better than stock everywhere. I don't want to turn knobs. I want to drive my car and smile.

In some ways this was probably the most difficult project. The adjusters make our job easier in some ways. Firstly, it is easier to dial in to what we want and tweak it for different conditions.

With fixed adjustment shocks you have none of that. If you don't like it, back to the drawing board.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

I started with the settings I developed during the 2750 mile trip cross country. I would tweak things at every fuel stop and see what really gave the best compliance. Once back, I worked on the handling aspect. Once I had a baseline I liked, I started building non-adjustable versions. This is trickier because jetting and bleed between compression and rebound affect each other. We tried 3 different piston designs, many, many different valving combinations, and different spring rates. Each time all suspension off, new suspension on to test. Each combo is tested on the dyno and on the test car. Finally after 2 1/2 months of testing we have a winner!

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

First, understand these are the same body, shaft size, internal canister. and other parts as our race/autocross winning Double-Adjustable shocks. The only cost-reduction was eliminating the adjusters! The big volume body and shaft provide the same nuances in control.

The spring rates are 350lb/in Front and 500lb/in Rear which are ~ 50% stiffer than stock.

HOWEVER, these shocks definitely ride more comfortably; damping out harsh bumps better than stock but also with more control.

The car is light on its feet, dancing quickly from side to side. None of the ponderous direction change of the base shocks or the harsh hangups in the rear(cause of snap oversteer) of the LSS. Truly sublime.

What do you get:
-Full set of coilover Penske ride height adjustable shocks.
-All CNC lightweight aluminum body and caps, not heavy steel like others.
-Large shaft for more fluid displacement i.e. more control.
-All the top notch Penske build quality that wins in F1, moto GP, and Daytona Prototypes....
-Standard diameter 2.25" Eibach springs with 350lb/in Front and 500lb/in Rear.
-New front shocks mounts
-New Milled aluminum shock bushings
-Full-color installation manual.
-Fully rebuildable forever.

-Pre-corner balanced!!!

WTH is "pre-corner balanced?!?" We corner balance an elise with 180lb driver on stock tires set to the correct pressures alignment etc. We have spring perch measurements and send them pre-set to those numbers. If you want a lower setup, we tell you how many turns on each shock to lower the car. You want more rake, we tell you how. You have different sized tires? We tell you how to change it.

Does this replace a traditional corner balance? No. Does it give you 80% of the benefit with zero work? Yes. Is it better than no corner balance like the stock shocks? YES!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 01-27-2015 at 08:39 AM.

post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

So here is the deal: We get the benefit of bulk purchase on pricing and shipping etc. If we can sell 5 sets everyone gets $200 off the $2395 regular price!

As folks have seen from the launch of our doubles and singles, these prices are never as good as the launch. First person to sign up gets an additional $50 off, the second $25!

$2195 for your car to feel better than new! Ride smoother AND with better feel and responsiveness!

Deposit Link here: Penske Lotus Elise Exige single adjustable BWR spec

It will take 3-4 weeks for the first batch to be done. We'll bill the balance within a week from delivery.

1. Nessal - $50 more off!
2. Rcollum - $25 more off!
3. ItsJohn
4. Spartacus
5. LionZoo
6. GunPilot
7. Began
8. JVBrugger

The group buy is ON!!!! From now until Friday 2/6! Tell your friends and family!
Attached Images

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 02-04-2015 at 07:03 AM.
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:08 AM

Very nice package!

Ok. But for real, that's great.
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 AM

Garage
If these are as good as Fred's D/As...which knowing Fred they are...they will be worth EVERY penny for those of you driving everyday drivers/enjoying canyon carving but still want to take a "date" out each night without rattling their teeth out of their heads.

Nice work Fred...now I know what you have been working on!

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

With the NAs, we dropped the spring rate from the Singles and Doubles. This is primarily because we wanted the best of all worlds solution. The Singles and Doubles can ride same or better than stock under nearly all circumstances then dial up the shock to take advantage of that stiffer spring at the track.

With the NAs, the softer spring combined with the BWR/Penske Magic, give a better ride HANDS DOWN compared to the Base, LSS, or Track Pack, but also significantly out -handles them too!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Nessal Jumped in to be first and get the additional $50 off! $25 off spot is still open! 4 more to go!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Have you GYLO'd?

I'm in!

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Can't wait!
post #11 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:22 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
So I bought the Penske single adjustable shocks from @fzust Fred/BWR last fall and (finally) installed them on New Year's Day... the whole "operation" took less than two hours...

All I have to say is OMG!!!

Originally the car came with the LSS sport suspension option and after nine years I thought they were pretty good shock/spring combination. WRONG!

I set them up as Fred suggested at 20 clicks from full hard (FFH) front and 40 clicks FFH rear. That along with TurboPhil's ride height recommendation of 120mm front, 130mm rear turned out to be perfect.

Here's how my inaugural drive down my favorite switchbacks went... it's 2.5 miles each way. 15 - 35 mph speed zone throughout. It's the closest thing we have to Phoenix's Hwy 88 here in Kansas... 18 turns ranging from 30 degree sweepers to a 140 degree mini-hairpin...

In nice warm Summer weather I could drive it 25 - 50 mph with either plow understeer or sliding oversteer limiting me with my all season street General UHP's.

So it's January in Kansas and an uber chilly 18 Fahrenheit degrees... AND I drove the exact same route in the Penske's at 35 - 70 mph with absolutely no drama whatsoever. It's like my tires suddenly have grip. So much confidence... SO much corner exit rear weight transfer and stability!

I also drove over three sets of railroad tracks on the way to the road. Couldn't barely even feel them.

Summary: Best money I've ever spent on the car, hands down.

I know I CAN change front/rear [rebound/compression] settings but right now I'm still lavishing in rambling OMFGitis... Perhaps I should have held out for this new non-adjustable configuration...

Can't believe I forgot to mention that the SA Penskes are 2.39 lbs. lighter than the stock LSS shocks. That figure includes all hardware. Very Happy!

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1735lbs.

Last edited by darkSol; 02-04-2015 at 07:41 AM.
post #12 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 AM
Have you GYLO'd?

New Shocks!

(Self-serving) bump, so we can get this group buy done!

Thanks,

Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
post #13 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 05:52 AM

I'm in if you'll take hopes and dreams instead of dollars!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Wish I had funds for this right now as well!

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #15 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

We do offer financing through Paypal. What used to be their "pay me later" program.....

You select Paypal and then the financing option comes up....

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #16 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

3 in for the best pricing! Only 2 more! Remember folks with the intro group buy this is likely the lowest price we can ever offer on this suspension setup. They come with all the same goodies as the all-singing/all-dancing doubles: Same Big Piston Type/Shaft for more control, New front upper shock mounts, New shock bushings, and new 2.25" ID springs. Oh yeah, plus new and vastly improved handling.....

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 01-31-2015 at 07:28 AM.
post #17 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 PM

Garage
I'm really tempted...

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #18 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 PM
The Enforcer

I purchased the DAs when they were first introduced. Great product. At speed they're really nice.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #19 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 AM

sooooo tempting - CDN vs USD dolalr has killed us recently extra 30%!!
post #20 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Someday I will buy a set!!! Unfortunately my funds need to be used elsewhere... :-(

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in