Best of all worlds: BWR Non-Adjustable Penske Shocks with Intro pricing! - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Gunpilot, We should see the first sets in a couple weeks and maybe 3 weeks out for the later ones. We'll contact all the deposit holders when they are ready to ship to us from Penske to collect the balance.

Ubersoph, getting back to your question: Due to economies of scale pricing etc. it will be fairly pricey to upgrade. Cost of parts to upgrade to singles is about $380/corner. Doubles basically only retains the body so completely not cost effective. However, your shocks will have significant value in the used market(notice the lack of Penskes for sale used) so that would probably be the best option.
Sounds great!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Being local I was able to stop by tonight and take these shocks for a test drive in Alex's car. I wanted to post up my opinion of them. I drove there in my Elise with DA Ohlins so I could compare them back-to-back. I sent Fred out in my car so that he could have some comparison notes as well. Ohlins are a great improvement over stock for street use but these Penske shocks are even better.

There is a section of road locally that is perfect for suspension tuning as one direction is short bumps spaced closely (low amplitude, high frequency). The other direction is larger bumps at a farther distance apart (high amplitude, low frequency). No matter which direction I drove the Penske equipped car, and at varying speeds, it would not porpoise. Any steering inputs during a bump were handled and would not cause a change in steering response (no noticeable bump steer at city speeds). This particular car is an 05 with non-Probax seats. When I had the stock seats in my 05 (I now have Exige style Probax seats) I used to feel every bump in my tailbone with the stock base suspension. The non-adjustable Penske shocks provide a similar plush ride to my DA Ohlins adjusted to street settings but they handle varying bumps (frequency/amplitude) better.

As far as turn-in, these non-adjustable Penske shocks are excellent. My DA Ohlins are good but not this crisp. A very significant improvement over stock.

I could probably adjust my DA Ohlins and make them behave more like these Penskes. That isn't the point of these though. They are the set-it and forget it type set-up (they are set by BWR and you forget about it). For a car that is driven on the street, and may see an occasional track day or auto-x, these are perfect. I have not adjusted my Ohlins since I installed them 4000 miles ago. These would have been my pick if they existed 3 years ago.

Thanks to Fred and Alex for letting me experience these new shocks. I can see a lot of thought has went into these particular non-adjustable offerings. I have some thinking to do as I do not adjust my DA Ohlins at all. I might sell mine and pick up a set of these. I do not track my car so these would be perfect.
post #43 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 AM

I just placed a deposit this morning.

Thanks,
Jeff B

post #44 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

jvbrugger, got it and thanks!

Skywagon, thanks for taking the time to do the comparison. I was kinda worried because comparing to DA Ohlins is a tough test! We work really hard on this stuff and think we have something excellent, but it really helps to have the validation from the outside. Your enthusiastic reaction "HFS!" if I recall, was really cool.

My thoughts on your car were: 1. Wow, it is so much prettier than mine. 2. The interior is fantastic(you need to do a write up). 3. If I didn't have clearance problems with a helmet, I would love Probax seats.... 4. You need a TVS400 in the worst way....

Oh on the shocks: I think you nailed it. The ohlins were not as crisp, yet the Penskes were every bit as comfortable. Eliminating the porpoising took alot of time in the NA because it all had to be done in the valving, which means pulling them on and off the car about 100 times!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #45 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

I just installed my dual adjustable rears last night, in about 1 hr. They were actually about a 1/2 pound lighter. I can post the actual numbers when I do my fronts tonight!
post #46 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

48 hours to go.... Save $200 on Penskes....

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #47 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Group buy closes today (Friday 2/6/15) at 4PM EST..... More comfortable AND More responsive! Enjoy your Lotus more when spring comes.....

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #48 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Thumbs up Lighter Weigtht Too!

So I got done installing the Penske Double Adjustable shocks. They are awesome looking units! I cant wait till the roads are cleaned so I can try them out. A big thanks to Fred for support with a couple questions I had during the install.

Besides looking and performing great, they also are nearly 1.5lbs lighter than stock! Below are the specifics. Note I swapped out 2005 Track Pack shocks.

Removed driver front shock -2234g
Installed Penske driver front shock 2136g
Removed passenger front shock -2238g
Installed Penske passenger front shock 2138g
Removed driver rear shock -2846g
Installed Penske driver rear shock 2720g
Removed passenger rear shock -2832g
Installed Penske passenger rear shock 2736g
Removed 4 front spacer washers -63g
Removed stock driver front upper shock bracket -320g
Installed new driver 2pc. front brackets 260g
Removed stock passenger front upper shock bracket -322g
Installed new passenger front bracket 203g
Total weight loss (662 grams) (1.46lbs)
post #49 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 12:22 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
I saved 2.39 lbs. (1.084 kg) with my Penske single adjustable over stock LSS shock assemblies, including all hardware.

For YEARS I've had the single adjustable Nitrons on my list for the sole reasons that I could corner balance and it was claimed that the set saved 3.6 lbs. This is 1.21 lbs. I will GLADLY live with.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1735lbs.
post #50 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Finishing up the corner balance on the street car with stock wheels and tires. Full tank of gas and ~165lb driver. Tried with 195lb and percentages were the same.

So if you run a stock tires, our setup will get you really close on the corner balance with perches pre-set!

First sets should be shipping out tomorrow!
Attached Images

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #51 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Finishing up the corner balance on the street car with stock wheels and tires. Full tank of gas and ~165lb driver. Tried with 195lb and percentages were the same.

So if you run a stock tires, our setup will get you really close on the corner balance with perches pre-set!

First sets should be shipping out tomorrow!
Honestly setting these up for people is pretty sweet!!!

I remember paying an alignment shop to get proper 50/50 weight distribution after receiving my D/As...that alone would have been a $200 savings on my behalf. Where as other shops quoted me $85/HR to do the same thing that this shop charged me...I admit I had to drive 4 hours to get to the shop...but it was worth it to me in the end.

Nice Job Fred...always watching out for us. I really appreciate.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #52 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Honestly setting these up for people is pretty sweet!!!

I remember paying an alignment shop to get proper 50/50 weight distribution after receiving my D/As...that alone would have been a $200 savings on my behalf. Where as other shops quoted me $85/HR to do the same thing that this shop charged me...I admit I had to drive 4 hours to get to the shop...but it was worth it to me in the end.

Nice Job Fred...always watching out for us. I really appreciate.
Also are you sure they did 50/50 front rear distribution?

200 doesn't sound do bad. That is about the normal going rate for alignment and corner balancing here.
post #53 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I imagine he meant 50/50 cross weights, as Fred is showing.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #54 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post

200 doesn't sound do bad. That is about the normal going rate for alignment and corner balancing here.
$200 was a great deal, its only downfall was I had to go to a different state to get that deal (Oregon instead of Washington state). Every other shop I called here in Washington, within 2 hours of me with a decent reputation, quoted me anywhere from $285 to $450 for alignment/corner balancing.

Sorry if it meant I implied they did 50/50 front to rear weight distribution...it was meant diagonally as Fred has set up in his photos.

I would had to either did some Major weight gains in the front or loss in the rear to get 50/50 front to rear.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #55 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Jake, correct. Obviously this won't be perfect for everyone with every tire combination, but it will be a darn sight closer than stock shocks all set at the same height!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #56 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM

This is the most expensive upgrade on my Lotus so far and I can't wait!!!
post #57 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM

I can't wait. My car is already on stands and the old shocks are already off. Even bought new nylocks for them.
post #58 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Nessal, Yours are built and shipping tomorrow! 3 more sets to build tonight, I hope!!!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #59 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Wow they come unbuilt? Didn't know that! That's good to know so now I know where to send them for a rebuild down the road!
post #60 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM

Great news!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in