Best of all worlds: BWR Non-Adjustable Penske Shocks with Intro pricing! - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
So I bought the Penske single adjustable shocks from @fzust Fred/BWR last fall and (finally) installed them on New Year's Day... the whole "operation" took less than two hours...

All I have to say is OMG!!!

Originally the car came with the LSS sport suspension option and after nine years I thought they were pretty good shock/spring combination. WRONG!

I set them up as Fred suggested at 20 clicks from full hard (FFH) front and 40 clicks FFH rear. That along with TurboPhil's ride height recommendation of 120mm front, 130mm rear turned out to be perfect.

Here's how my inaugural drive down my favorite switchbacks went... it's 2.5 miles each way. 15 - 35 mph speed zone throughout. It's the closest thing we have to Phoenix's Hwy 88 here in Kansas... 18 turns ranging from 30 degree sweepers to a 140 degree mini-hairpin...

In nice warm Summer weather I could drive it 25 - 50 mph with either plow understeer or sliding oversteer limiting me with my all season street General UHP's.

So it's January in Kansas and an uber chilly 18 Fahrenheit degrees... AND I drove the exact same route in the Penske's at 35 - 70 mph with absolutely no drama whatsoever. It's like my tires suddenly have grip. So much confidence... SO much corner exit rear weight transfer and stability!

I also drove over three sets of railroad tracks on the way to the road. Couldn't barely even feel them.

Summary: Best money I've ever spent on the car, hands down.

I know I CAN change front/rear [rebound/compression] settings but right now I'm still lavishing in rambling OMFGitis... Perhaps I should have held out for this new non-adjustable configuration...

Can't believe I forgot to mention that the SA Penskes are 2.39 lbs. lighter than the stock LSS shocks. That figure includes all hardware. Very Happy!

David,
Where is this road you talk about? I want to drive it too!
I found a nice little twisty section a couple of weeks ago you might like… on Mission Rd between 159th and 175th! Reminds me of some twisty roads in the ozarks, but the road really needs resurfacing and is pretty old and beat up…
I also like a road that is out by the Cedar Creek development off of K-10… If you take a left at the first 4-way stop as you enter the development (and go past the gas station) you will find a nice little stretch of some fun curves and good pavement and little to no traffic.
I'm not sure what settings Phil set on my SA Penske's when they installed them months ago and I guess I should check… But I'm confused to the recommended settings you referred to. I figured the rears would need to be at a firmer setting due to having the extra weight of the engine? No? maybe it only matters that the spring rates are higher… IDK. hopefully you or BWR can explain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

The settings on the adjuster are independent of the mass of one end or the other. The damping curves inside the shock are set with that and springrate in mind. The valving front and rear are different. Thus we may have elected to put the mid point of the shock at different places based on how the car responds. Typically the Lotus can handle alot more compression and rebound in the rear. The front has more range on the softer side for road compliance since the front is so light.

Lastly, our recommendations are just recommendations. Turn the knobs and find the right settings for you. You can always go back!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #63 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
I found a nice little twisty section a couple of weeks ago you might like… on Mission Rd between 159th and 175th! Reminds me of some twisty roads in the ozarks, but the road really needs resurfacing and is pretty old and beat up…
Yup that's it. It's only 1.5 miles from my house at 147th & Mission/Kenneth.

Quote:
I also like a road that is out by the Cedar Creek development off of K-10… If you take a left at the first 4-way stop as you enter the development (and go past the gas station) you will find a nice little stretch of some fun curves and good pavement and little to no traffic.
Know that one as well. I worked at NIC in 2012 right there by that gas station. Awesome road!

Quote:
I'm not sure what settings Phil set on my SA Penske's when they installed them months ago and I guess I should check… But I'm confused to the recommended settings you referred to. I figured the rears would need to be at a firmer setting due to having the extra weight of the engine? No? maybe it only matters that the spring rates are higher… IDK. hopefully you or BWR can explain!
I totally agree with what Fred said (Right Said Fred? ) He recommended: "For aggressive street, I would play with it but start at 20FFH front and 40FFH rear and stiffen 2 clicks at a time in the front and 5 clicks at a time in the rear."

I like the way it feels right now but I haven't been to a track event with it yet.

Hope this helps!

BTW what hospital(s) are you working at? My wife Jane is a hospitalist and rounds at St. Joseph Medical Center.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1735lbs.

post #64 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:15 PM

Garage
I thought of another question..... aren't there only 20 clicks of adjustment on the Singles or no?

and I work in at Shawnee Mission Medical Center
post #65 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM

Will install them tomorrow.

Last edited by Nessal; 02-28-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #66 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERDoc74 View Post
I thought of another question..... aren't there only 20 clicks of adjustment on the Singles or no?

and I work in at Shawnee Mission Medical Center
There are about 40 on the front and 90 on the rear!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #67 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:02 AM

Any update on who's has shipped Fred?

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #68 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:58 PM

I just finished installing the coilovers and the drive around the block already got me excited on what it can really do when I open her up a little. I also changed out the bushings to monoballs and did the sector111 toe link brace at the same time.

I did run into some issues.

First, my drivers' side top bracket was a bit tight getting the upper shock in. The rest had no problems at all. It took a lot of coersion to get it in.

Second, the frame rubbed the top of the shock slightly when the suspension was loaded and unloaded. See below picture. I had to bend the frame just slightly. The clearance is now less than 1mm but clears. I pushed the bracket all the way to the left to get as much space as possible before I tightened down the two 13mm bolts but it wasn't enough. I used a pry bar to slightly bend the frame towards the back of the car and got more clearance. Below is a picture prior to me bending the frame a little bit. You can see that the letter N on Penske was rubbed off onto the frame.

Third, I could not adjust the ride height with my hands because I couldn't get good leverage on the collar with the shock on the car. Maybe I just haven't eaten my Wheaties this morning. Penske sells a spring perch wrench for around $17 shipped. I realized that a stake for tents actually fits in the holes(1/4" holes) on the collar and allows me to adjust the height. Just dremel it in half and it works as a perch tool. I attached a pic of the pre-cut stake below. I think the proper size allen wrench may also work. I went ahead and purchase the perch tool online anyways incase I need to adjust the height in the future.

Fourth, read the directions. It's important. One key point is to have a stubby 13mm wrench. If you're cheap, harbor freight sells a set of stubby for 10 bucks. Worked perfectly.

I'll have the car aligned and corner weighted next weekend or the one after before I can drive it. Can't wait!

Last edited by Nessal; 03-01-2015 at 08:48 PM.
post #69 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM

That doesn't seem right😁
You're positive they were installed correctly? That looks like way too tight of a fit. And bending anything doesn't seem right either.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #70 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 PM

These bolt strait in correct?

No special brackets I have to buy?

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #71 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
That doesn't seem right��
You're positive they were installed correctly? That looks like way too tight of a fit. And bending anything doesn't seem right either.

Positive. I read the directions and it says the compression nipple goes on the outside. Also the brackets are side specific and are marked. The passenger side cleared fine although pretty close. The driver side was close but no cigar. A little bending made it fit.
post #72 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
These bolt strait in correct?

No special brackets I have to buy?

It comes with new brackets.
post #73 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 PM

Thank you!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #74 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM

did you get the install right? was the issue with the ball joints as opposed to using bushings, thinking of these shocks but they look like they're too tight.
post #75 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 AM

do you think there maybe a second group buy? are there uses you with fitment? One photo looked as if the top of the shock rubes the frame.
post #76 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 AM

It all comes back down to the fact that these hand built cars have maybe more tolerance than other mass produced cars. Yes it is installed correctly. I just had to use a pry bar to bend the frame around 1mm or so...not a big deal. It just might be my car that has this issue. But again, not a big deal because the shocks do not move laterally.
post #77 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:19 PM

My set is with FedEx. Won't be able to pick it up for a little while, and probably won't get to the install until near the end of the month. Still, I'd like to hear if any others have issues with installation. Having to bending my frame would be a no-no for me.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #78 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:44 PM

It's not much...only 1mm for one side and I might be a one off thing.
post #79 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM

Penske non-adjustable install

I installed mine today and had the same clearance issues. The driver's side bracket is too narrow and the shock rubs on the frame on both fronts. I have a lathe so I remade the top bushings to offset the shock forward about 1mm. I also made the driver's side bushing pair narrower by .5mm.
post #80 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM

Can Fred check into what the actual issue is with these? I don't remember the other Penskes having this problem.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in