Best of all worlds: BWR Non-Adjustable Penske Shocks with Intro pricing! - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 PM

Fred sent me a PM and said that you just have to file the bracket hole slightly if it's tight. That would be the smarter way doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

OK, I wrote a nice post and Windows decided to force a shutdown and crash, so this will be more brief, apologies.

Likely the fabricator shifted the holes on the brackets rearward about 1/16" which may cause the tighter fit. Touching the frame isn't a problem since the top of the shock doesn't move relative to the frame. Our test car uses the same batch of brackets and it is fine. You should not have to bend anything for them to fit however.

The easy fix is to use a file to slot the 4 mounting holes a bit on the rearward side to shift the bracket forward just a touch. You can send them back to us if you wish. I'll check them rest of the batch when we get back tomorrow from Racing.

On the perch adjustment, the technique is to grab the spring and perch together and they turn pretty easily. Unless you want to run so much pre-load as to ride like a 4x4 it is adjustable easily. If you want to give Big Foot a run for its money crushing cars, just get a round screw driver or punch that fits snugly into the perch holes to adjust.

For the remaining folks on the Group buy, your shocks should ship at latest early next week!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #83 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsjohn View Post
I installed mine today and had the same clearance issues. The driver's side bracket is too narrow and the shock rubs on the frame on both fronts. I have a lathe so I remade the top bushings to offset the shock forward about 1mm. I also made the driver's side bushing pair narrower by .5mm.
I had the same issue and ended up enlarging the mounting holes on one side to add about 1/32" of clearance between the shock body and frame. It clears now by about 2 sheets of paper but I have not driven the car yet.

I agree the cars are all probably a bit different based on tolerances. Mine was a January 2005 build.

Overall the shocks look awesome and installed quite well.

post #84 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
OK, I wrote a nice post and Windows decided to force a shutdown and crash, so this will be more brief, apologies.

Likely the fabricator shifted the holes on the brackets rearward about 1/16" which may cause the tighter fit. Touching the frame isn't a problem since the top of the shock doesn't move relative to the frame. Our test car uses the same batch of brackets and it is fine. You should not have to bend anything for them to fit however.

The easy fix is to use a file to slot the 4 mounting holes a bit on the rearward side to shift the bracket forward just a touch. You can send them back to us if you wish. I'll check them rest of the batch when we get back tomorrow from Racing.

On the perch adjustment, the technique is to grab the spring and perch together and they turn pretty easily. Unless you want to run so much pre-load as to ride like a 4x4 it is adjustable easily. If you want to give Big Foot a run for its money crushing cars, just get a round screw driver or punch that fits snugly into the perch holes to adjust.

For the remaining folks on the Group buy, your shocks should ship at latest early next week!
Thank you Fred!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #85 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Thank you Fred! I realize that, especially for a first run, issues can happen. However, root cause is important to me so I wanted to find the reason why there was a variation with this batch.

Anyway, I might take you up on the offer to send back the brackets since I won't be installing these until the end of the month at the earliest.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #86 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

OK, folks. Here's the story. The fabricator used an old drawing and the holes are 0.060" located rearward. The shocks will still fit, but just touch. I did 3 hours of round trip driving to drop them off in the early AM and pick them up this afternoon after they ran them through the mill to slot the holes 1/8". The only folks affected are the first 5 we shipped. You guys can either file the holes out 1/16" or send them back and we'll swap you these brackets. Folks below 5 will get the slotted brackets.

I am having the machine shop revise the drawing AGAIN and burn all previous copies! Sorry for the troubles.

Cheers,

Fred

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #87 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 01:39 PM

Incredible. That's all I can say.

I got my car aligned and corner balanced at Trackspec today. The guys over there did an amazing job and really took their time getting everything right. I had Jon recommend an alignment spec for the street since he has a lot of experience working on these cars. Very professional guys and shop.

I had the ride height set to 120mm in the front and 125mm in the rear.

In the front I did,

-1 degree camber(maxed out with no shims)
4.7 degree positive caster
-0.04 degree toe out

In the rear we did,

-2.3 degree camber
0.20 degree toe in

They put a 140b ballast into the driver's seat and the total car weight came out to 2138lbs...which means that the car is sub 2000lbs with a half tank of gas. They got the cross weight perfect and even balanced out my wheels that another shop couldn't. They balance by grams, not ounces like most shops. These cars are super sensitive. I was getting a slight shimmy at 80mph. Now it's completely GONE.

The ride is about 10 times better than stock. The car no longer crashes when it hits bumps. The ride does feel stiffer but not in a bad way. The ride is MUCH smoother which is incredible considering my spring rates are much higher than stock. The car corners as flat as paper and is very composed. It does seem to be a little louder inside the car but I can't say for certain as I haven't driven the car for over a month and I have installed monoballs at the same time. But on the first drive, the car felt...different...like I don't even really know it anymore. The best way that I could put it is that my body wasn't used to how the car reacts in a turn. With the stock suspension, my natural instincts expected the car to lean. But that doesn't happen anymore. Kind of threw me off.

Very impressed right now with this setup. I'll be putting it through its paces come Sunday and I can't wait!
post #88 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 02:40 PM

I love the guys at TrackSpec. They do a great job.

We also love you Fred. I can't wait to throw these onto my Elise and head out to the track afterwards.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
post #89 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:57 PM

Did you have the base or sport suspension?

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Incredible. That's all I can say.

I got my car aligned and corner balanced at Trackspec today. The guys over there did an amazing job and really took their time getting everything right. I had Jon recommend an alignment spec for the street since he has a lot of experience working on these cars. Very professional guys and shop.

I had the ride height set to 120mm in the front and 125mm in the rear.

In the front I did,

-1 degree camber(maxed out with no shims)
4.7 degree positive caster
-0.04 degree toe out

In the rear we did,

-2.3 degree camber
0.20 degree toe in

They put a 140b ballast into the driver's seat and the total car weight came out to 2138lbs...which means that the car is sub 2000lbs with a half tank of gas. They got the cross weight perfect and even balanced out my wheels that another shop couldn't. They balance by grams, not ounces like most shops. These cars are super sensitive. I was getting a slight shimmy at 80mph. Now it's completely GONE.

The ride is about 10 times better than stock. The car no longer crashes when it hits bumps. The ride does feel stiffer but not in a bad way. The ride is MUCH smoother which is incredible considering my spring rates are much higher than stock. The car corners as flat as paper and is very composed. It does seem to be a little louder inside the car but I can't say for certain as I haven't driven the car for over a month and I have installed monoballs at the same time. But on the first drive, the car felt...different...like I don't even really know it anymore. The best way that I could put it is that my body wasn't used to how the car reacts in a turn. With the stock suspension, my natural instincts expected the car to lean. But that doesn't happen anymore. Kind of threw me off.

Very impressed right now with this setup. I'll be putting it through its paces come Sunday and I can't wait!
post #90 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:58 PM

I had the sport suspension.
post #91 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

LionZoo, thanks for the Love! Interested to see what you think when you get them installed.

Nessal, can't wait to hear what you think at the track and report back here. You still have a good bit of tuning you can do with ride height and tire pressure. Its all in the tuning guide!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #92 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

For the remaining folks on the group buy list, we've been building shocks all weekend after getting the front mounts slotted for better frame clearance. When you install, shift the brackets all the way forward in the slot. It will make sense when you see it.

You folks have an email with the secret link to pay the balance of the group buy. We'll ship as early as tomorrow! Thanks folks and enjoy!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #93 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:12 PM

Frank,
Are you planning another group buy for the singles or doubles? I need
a little motivation.
-Robert

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #94 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Have you GYLO'd?

Excellent product, Fred! I had mine installed last week, and did a 300-mile round trip to see the Lotus exhibit at the AACA Museum in Hershey, PA. The roads were in only fair condition, but the ride on the new Penskes was excellent. Not floaty, but no banging over rough patches, and the control thru corners seemed better, as well.

Thanks!

--Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
post #95 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 PM

Yah Fred
Get a second group buy and get some motivation going.
I'll do it
post #96 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 AM

Same here ... another group buy would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGO2 View Post
Yah Fred
Get a second group buy and get some motivation going.
I'll do it
post #97 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Hi Bob,

Glad you enjoy them!

Folks, group buys are pretty rare. When we introduce the shocks, we've done so right before new price increases from Penske. The prices went up on March 1st. We still have:

1 set of doubles w/ hand adjuster knobs
1 set of Singles w/ hand adjuster knobs
1 set of Non-adjustables

These are at the 2014 price. When they are gone the price goes up. If you want a set, place an order and I'll update the totals here.

Thanks!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 03-20-2015 at 09:45 AM.
post #98 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Hi Bob,

Glad you enjoy them!

Folks, group buys are pretty rare. When we introduce the shocks, we've done so right before new price increases from Penske. The prices went up on March 1st. We still have:

2 sets of doubles w/ hand adjuster knobs
1 set of Singles w/ hand adjuster knobs
2 sets of Non-adjustables

These are at the 2014 price. When they are gone the price goes up. If you want a set, place an order and I'll update the totals here.

Thanks!
Is the current pricing on your website, $2995 for SA and $2395 for the NA, the 2014 pricing or the new 2015 higher pricing?
post #99 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Chris, That is the 2014 pricing. I am holding a set of doubles for one person so I'll need to update that.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #100 of 185 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 AM

Well I did it I place my order for one set of the non-adjustable Penske shocks.
I hope Fred puts in the time to get mine all corner balanced and ready to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in