BMW Wheel Bolts = Perfect Fit! And they are Black! - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:35 AM

Wheel Torque ?

I have looked all over, and I cannot find a TORQUE setting for the wheel lug bolts. Would the Torque setting for the BMW bolts be the same for both the BMWs and the Elise?
Thanks in Advance for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
-

>>>I have looked all over, and I cannot find a TORQUE setting for the wheel lug bolts. Would the Torque setting for the BMW bolts be the same for both the BMWs and the Elise? Thanks in Advance for help.<<<

Yes it's the same as stock. For the Elise it's 77 lbf/ft, see page 155 in the owner's manual. Retorque after a bit too, such as 25 miles, between track runs and so forth until things stabilize if you really want to nail it and be safe.
post #63 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
>>>I have looked all over, and I cannot find a TORQUE setting for the wheel lug bolts. Would the Torque setting for the BMW bolts be the same for both the BMWs and the Elise? Thanks in Advance for help.<<<

Yes it's the same as stock. For the Elise it's 77 lbf/ft, see page 155 in the owner's manual. Retorque after a bit too, such as 25 miles, between track runs and so forth until things stabilize if you really want to nail it and be safe.
Thanks Stan.....gee, I didn't see any reason to read the book....maybe it is time to scan the manual in case I missed something.

post #64 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Evl

Does anyone know the thread length? I suppose I could go measure, but if anyone knows, then I won't have to wait till I get home. Thanks!
post #65 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:51 PM

Elise uses quite normal M12x1.5 (fine pitch metric) bolts with tapered seat. Regular off-the-shelf stuff everywhere.

Bolt length standard is 25mm (threaded portion), but... If you look inside the threaded holes on the hub you'll see that it's actually using only 2/3 of the total space available.

Look at the back of the hub with the wheels and bolts in place and you'll see that they don't reach all the way to the back of the hub.

I found that with 30mm bolts they screw in all the way, so they are flush at the back of the hub, so they use all available thread. Always a good thing IMHO...

Bye, Arno.
post #66 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Arno,

Would using the 30mm bolts would affect the amount of torque used to tighten them? If so, what do you use?
post #67 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:30 AM

No change in torque. I still use the 'book' values.

Bye, Arno.
post #68 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Evl

Thanks Arno! Just ordered some 1.3" (33mm) bolts to use with my 5mm wheel spacers. I didn't want to use studs since I want to still look sharp when I don't have the race rubber on.
post #69 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Saab also use the same size bolts 12x1.5 roughly 28mm length, in case you don't have a BMW place nearby. I've been a huge fan however of RAD bolts and locks. They make bolts for BBS, OZ, Ronal, MIM, and numerous other companies. Made in Germany, and all 10.9 rated. Good stuff, but they come a matte grey color, not black.
post #70 of 199 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:15 AM

In reading this thread (pardon the pun), it appears that I can safely use my 30 MM shank length bolts with a 5 mm spacer and still get the same thread contact as the stock 25 mm bolts. EXCELLENT!

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #71 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 PM

I received my 20 lug bolts from the eBay seller others have used. About $40 for the set, shipped.

These are the high-polish chrome bolts, not sculpted, with the threaded portion just a little longer than stock.

I put them in all my wheels, stared at them for a while, and took them back out. It just didn't match. The chromed look didn't fit the wheel -- maybe black would have been better.

The other problem is that only thin-walled sockets will fit over these 17mm bolts without rubbing the wheel's wells something aweful. Even then, I have to use the deep socket to reach past the spokes of the stock (non-LSS) wheels. None of my shop tire irons are thin enough to fit around the heads. All in all, the fit of the 10-point spline just works better.

So I guess my next goal will be to find four of the stock BIMECC bolts to replace the four lock bolts that cause extra hassle. And eventually maybe a 1/2" drive tool that fits them too. So far, the stock adapter has been fine, and doesn't appear to be wearing out.
post #72 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A
Bavarian Autosport has the lug bolts in both silver and black for $2.95 each, part numbers 36 13 1 126 191 for silver and 36 13 1 126 014 for black. www.bavauto.com
Also locking bolts are availabe from BMW that use a small key and are around $45 for four, also Bavarian Auto haas some other locking ones shown that look much better than the stock Elise, they are $45 for the set of four.
In order to bring up the lugs on the bavauto site..it requires a model and year...Can you help me out?
post #73 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Loop
I received my 20 lug bolts from the eBay seller others have used. About $40 for the set, shipped. These are the high-polish chrome bolts, not sculpted, with the threaded portion just a little longer than stock. I put them in all my wheels, stared at them for a while, and took them back out. It just didn't match. The chromed look didn't fit the wheel -- maybe black would have been better. The other problem is that only thin-walled sockets will fit over these 17mm bolts without rubbing the wheel's wells something aweful. Even then, I have to use the deep socket to reach past the spokes of the stock (non-LSS) wheels. None of my shop tire irons are thin enough to fit around the heads. All in all, the fit of the 10-point spline just works better. So I guess my next goal will be to find four of the stock BIMECC bolts to replace the four lock bolts that cause extra hassle. And eventually maybe a 1/2" drive tool that fits them too. So far, the stock adapter has been fine, and doesn't appear to be wearing out.
Just use Normal BMW bolts...and a deep 17 mm, 1/2 inch drive socket from Sears or many other places. Fits fine, clears everthing, no hassles, cheap, lifetime tool replacement.
post #74 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Long-term Lotus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart W
In order to bring up the lugs on the bavauto site..it requires a model and year...Can you help me out?
Just go to a local dealer - they'll probably end up being cheaper...

But if you're not local to one, try a 1999 M Coupe - that's what's parked next to my Elise, and what I initially pulled a bolt from to test. The parts guy at the dealership said that it was used on a lot of different BMWs though.

Erv S. - 2005 Elise

LotusCorp - The Chicago Region's Lotus Club
Website - Facebook Page
post #75 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart W
**********************In order to bring up the lugs on the bavauto site..it requires a model and year...Can you help me out?
They ask for that info...so they can assist you with other more specific parts for your "bimmer". Even though these bolts are not far off from universal on BMWs. IIRC only the SUV line use larger bolts (14 mm instead of 12mm) due to the massive mass of those behemoths. In my case I just use M3 bolts. They are black, sculpted, and strong. They are about 0.4 ounces per bolt lighter than the OE Lotus bolts due to the large head used on the stock design. BMW bolts are also readily available in different lengths to suit hubcentric spacers, special wheels and whatnot.
post #76 of 199 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks..I will go with the part # and call local BMW dealer.
post #77 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:28 PM

at the SVAG tech day yesterday, Dave Simkin (Lotus USA service rep) noticed the black bmw lugs on my elise and urged me to take them off immediately. He said that the lugs had sheered off other elises while on the track. Has anyone actually heard of this happening? I'm a bit concerned now.
post #78 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:32 PM

Only if they are properly tightened. I've never heard of it happening otherwise.

I convertied to studs-love them!

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #79 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjer
Only if they are properly tightened. I've never heard of it happening otherwise.

I convertied to studs-love them!
do you mean *not* properly tightened?

has anyone heard of this happening with these lugs on our cars?
post #80 of 199 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickargon
has anyone heard of this happening with these lugs on our cars?
Nope. I've been using them for a little over a year now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in