BMW Wheel Bolts = Perfect Fit! And they are Black! - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Blackwatch Racing stud kit

anyone have experience with Blackwatch Racing's stud kit. When it comes to frequently changing tires at the track, I have lug bolts. I noticed an earlier post recommended a set of studs from BBS and tc kline racing, but has anyone tried this set from Blackwatch? How much of the stud sticks out past an open ended lug nut? Thanks

R Warden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:44 AM

I have to ask, if you switch to the stud kit, are you still legal in SS?
post #123 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:41 AM

Yes, perfectly legal in SS and a great time saver. I love my stud kit.

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car

post #124 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 05:36 AM

I have LSS wheels and want to use Stan's suggestion for replacing the stocks bolts with BMW wheel bolts. I cannot find the black or especially the silver (preferred if it matches the LSS stock bolts) finish. Has anyone recently ordered a set and where? I could not find it.

'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
post #125 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goelise
I have LSS wheels and want to use Stan's suggestion for replacing the stocks bolts with BMW wheel bolts. I cannot find the black or especially the silver (preferred if it matches the LSS stock bolts) finish. Has anyone recently ordered a set and where? I could not find it.
Try Pelican Parts (BMW / Porsche aftermarket supplier with decent prices).

'62 Alfa Sprint
'65 Alfa Spider Veloce (2)
'88 Alfa Milano 3.0L
'91 Ducati 900 S/S
'05 Elise (#0294),Magnetic Blue, Blk Touring, hardtop
post #126 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 AM

Will the black wheel bolts fit with the Black Rota wheels (LSS size 16/17) that blackwatch sells?
post #127 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
R T

... as long as you're not using spacers
post #128 of 199 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN750
Will the black wheel bolts fit with the Black Rota wheels (LSS size 16/17) that blackwatch sells?
Yes, I used them and they fit perfectly. And since they're not recessed into
a deep hole (unlike the stock wheels), there is no need for a thin wall socket to install / remove them. They look great with the black or gunmetal wheels.
Jim

'62 Alfa Sprint
'65 Alfa Spider Veloce (2)
'88 Alfa Milano 3.0L
'91 Ducati 900 S/S
'05 Elise (#0294),Magnetic Blue, Blk Touring, hardtop
post #129 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 PM

Pelican Parts appears to have raised their prices to $2.50 a bolt. That said they did free shipping when I ordered two seasons worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
And after the season you should test each bolt, one at a time. Reuse all the bolts that can float on water. Cheap peace of mind.
post #130 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS
Pelican Parts appears to have raised their prices to $2.50 a bolt. That said they did free shipping when I ordered two seasons worth.
Have a good place to get a "soft" socket that can protect the black bolts AND black wheels from getting chewed up? Thanks.
post #131 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 AM

I know I have said this before, but the BMW bolts tend to loosen up at track events, I have gone back to standard lotus lugs, I used lotus lugs torqued to spec on rotas, JL audio jim clayton used the bmw bolts on the same rotas torqued to spec and we both got on the track, checked wheels after cooling, lotus lugs did not move at torque, several of the bmw wheels bolts had loosened, requiried to be retorqued. I know that it is proper procedure to check after each track session, but many people do not. Just a heads up, anyone who feels that I am wrong show me some real world data as I have used the bmw bolts on ssrs; and stock wheels and now rotas. I do not know or care why they do this, just that if one of my wheels came off or a problem occurred it is too late. If stan can or will read this I am not an engineer, I am just a track/ lotus guy and I do not want anybody to have problems. Additionally I have sheared several of the bmw bolts, while torqueing them to spec, they might have been a little bit warm but it is not like I put a 100lbs on them just 75-78lbs.

Last edited by MitchT; 09-19-2006 at 11:00 AM.
post #132 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. Anyone else want to chime in? I wonder if the black coating has some effect? I just purchased some from Pelican, as many others did. I'm sure they'd want to know about something like this.
post #133 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchT
... If stan can or will read this I am not an engineer, I am just a track/ lotus guy and I do not want anybody to have problems. Additionally I have sheared several of the bmw bolts, while torqueing them to spec, they might have been a little bit warm but it is not like I put a 100lbs on them just 75-78lbs.
Stan's now on MoreMonkey.com since he has been banned from this site. I am sure that if you ask him a question there, he'll be happy to answer. This is indeed an interesting question.
post #134 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I know I have said this before, but the BMW bolts tend to loosen up at track events, I have gone back to standard lotus lugs, I used lotus lugs torqued to spec on rotas, JL audio jim clayton used the bmw bolts on the same rotas torqued to spec and we both got on the track, checked wheels after cooling, logs lugs did not move at torque, several of the bmw wheels bolts had loosened, requiried to be retorqued. I know that it is proper procedure to check after each track session, but many people do not. Just a heads up, anyone who feels that I am wrong show me some real world data as I have used the bmw bolts on ssrs; and stock wheels and now rotas. I do not know or care why they do this, just that if one of my wheels came off or a problem occurred it is too late. If stan can or will read this I am not an engineer, I am just a track/ lotus guy and I do not want anybody to have problems. Additionally I have sheared several of the bmw bolts, while torqueing them to spec, they might have been a little bit warm but it is not like I put a 100lbs on them just 75-78lbs.
Yikes, I was just about to order some too; I am going to wait until this has been thoroughly investigated. Thank you for the info, this is important stuff.

2009 Mini Cooper JCW - Dark Silver/Black - sport suspension/cold weather package
2008 997 GT3 - Carrara White/Black - PCCB's - 350 lbs of weight reduction

Past Lotus Cars: 2005 NFB Elise, 2007 CO Exige S, 2005 AR Elise, 2008 CO Exige S 240
post #135 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Stan,

said that this was due to expanding and contracting of the metals which I agreed with at the time, now I do not know, others have said it is the paint and or finish of the wheel surface itself, honestly I do not care, I'll go for saftey first , looks is secondary.
post #136 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Not to interrupt, but there must be a logical explanation for the problem. These bolts have been sold to some intelligent fellas, and I'd be interested in hearing from some here.

If a bolt won't hold torque, it stems from logical causes.

Perhaps, the black coating becomes semi-viscous when heated?
Is the wheel finish a factor?
And are there certain wheels that do hold torque with black bolts; if so, why?
Is there some physically different feature of the bolt thread that wasn't realized, but now is?
Do these bolts hold torque on BMW's and is the bore of the Lotus wheel a factor then?
post #137 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:14 PM

They definitely require re-torquing. I can re-torque without Stan's help.

I will continue to use the BMW bolts. They are easy to work with even with the re-torque.
post #138 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
...this was due to expanding and contracting of the metals...
That sounds pretty logical. Some cast wheels and forged wheels handle compression differently. This has nothing to do with lug bolts of any color, more to do with the physical characteristics of the metal. Right?
post #139 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super D
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. Anyone else want to chime in? I wonder if the black coating has some effect? I just purchased some from Pelican, as many others did. I'm sure they'd want to know about something like this.
FWIW, I've been using the BMW black bolts on several Elise/Exige cars and have had no problems with their ability to "hold" torque. Of course, I always re-check the torque within 50 miles of first installing wheels and new wheels need to be checked a second time after an additional 100 miles or so.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
post #140 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
FWIW, I've been using the BMW black bolts on several Elise/Exige cars and have had no problems with their ability to "hold" torque. Of course, I always re-check the torque within 50 miles of first installing wheels and new wheels need to be checked a second time after an additional 100 miles or so.
Thanks Jack. Hey, I hope to join you at an event sometime this fall/winter.

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in