BMW Wheel Bolts = Perfect Fit! And they are Black! - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Itin
I've had the Rota Slipstreams with BMW black lugs since late June. I drove about 300 miles to VIR, then re-torqued the bolts before a driving school. I re-torqued after each of four sessions, and most of the bolts did need a little tightening each time. After returning home, none of the bolts needed additional adjustment, and have not required any since then.
Depends also when you retorqued the bolts. You are not supposed to check the torques immediately after you come off the track and the wheels/hubs/etc are hot. Just FYI.

Custom Plug-N-Play Elise HIDs, Arqray SS Double Tip Exhaust, RAC Monolites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05EliseNM
both the sport and touring wheels?

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #163 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 AM

He has touring bolts. Gary's analysis seems to be the most complete explanation of this issue. Saftey is what we are looking for, any bolt can loosen if not checked and since trackin is hard on the cars as said many times over, maintence needs to increase in proportion to the amount of track time. I hate hitting 120mph thinkin I have a loose lug, so stock or studs is what I will stick too. ( I know the blacks look trick)!!!!

post #164 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
I did that intentionally, I was a Twacking Virgin; thanks, that felt really good!

2009 Mini Cooper JCW - Dark Silver/Black - sport suspension/cold weather package
2008 997 GT3 - Carrara White/Black - PCCB's - 350 lbs of weight reduction

Past Lotus Cars: 2005 NFB Elise, 2007 CO Exige S, 2005 AR Elise, 2008 CO Exige S 240
post #165 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05EliseNM
I did that intentionally, I was a Twacking Virgin; thanks, that felt really good!
I figured that. I get everyone sooner or later. Most because they are trying to sneak it by...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #166 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Way Cool!

Thanks for the post picked some up yesterday and they look great.

Absorb What is Usefull, Reject What is Useless, and Add What is Specifically Your Own!!!
post #167 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological
Depends also when you retorqued the bolts. You are not supposed to check the torques immediately after you come off the track and the wheels/hubs/etc are hot. Just FYI.
So how long to wait is long enough? I also have the BMW bolts (base wheels) and torqued between sessions at recent track event. They did move a tiny bit each time. I think I usually gave the car 10-15 minutes after coming off the track before checking air/torque.
post #168 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 AM

Updated part number in BMW catalog is
PN: 36-13-6-781-150
Descrip: wheel bolt black

You can still use 36-13-1-095-390 for now as it will redirect to the new number.
post #169 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 04:26 PM

Would the lock set work?

EM Wheel Lock Set
http://www.theeurodepot.com/product.php?id=NDY4Mg
Manufacturer Name: BMW OEM
Part #: 36 13 6 786 419
Condition: New
Price: $29.99
post #170 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM

On the track, any car I've ever driven gets the lug nut/bolt torqued just before I get into the car. The spec'd torque comes with a temperature too, so it's not a good idea to hop out of the car just after you get done with a session and torque it. I'm going by what has been told to me by head instructors and classroom instructors (I'm just a lowly EE and track instructor), so an ME with more knowledge can pre-empt my info.
post #171 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 PM

Still using these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
Updated part number in BMW catalog is
PN: 36-13-6-781-150
Descrip: wheel bolt black

You can still use 36-13-1-095-390 for now as it will redirect to the new number.
Are people still using these? Anything better to consider?

post #172 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaone View Post
Are people still using these? Anything better to consider?
Still using them, have been since '06 on RAC Monolites without failure. As I posted way back when, I did have one lug back out but I believe that was due to improper torquing. Never happened again. That said, I highly recommend reading this thread in its entirety and come to your own conclusions.

Matte Black, Sport, Touring, ***** intake (TBA), RAC Mono wheels, Painted Shift knob, smoked turn signals, Alpine SPS 6.5" rear speakers, MB Quarts, JVC Nav, Starshield, LBH exhaust, Dpic perf. gauge, Custom true HID projectors, GUT wing and splitter, Mesh side pods, Sector111 harness bar and 4-point harness, Lotus Sport Ohlins double-adjustable suspension, swaybar, '06 LED tailights, Toda flywheel, Lotusport interior.
post #173 of 199 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 PM

I have read the entire thread. There is a lot of info. The summary for everyone was:

1. Before each track session torque bolts.

2. After each session on the track let the bolts cool down and prior to getting back on the track check the torque on the bolts.

3. Consider using thread lock on the bolts (to me seems excessive)

Some other items I have learned are that Lotus made 17 mm, 25 mm, and 28 mm bolts. The standard bolt size from Lotus is 25 mm. If you have an S240 or S260 with the AP brake kit the 28 mm bolts are used. The 28 mm bolts will protrude about 3 mm on the stock and LSS wheels. Lotus only makes the 28 mm bolts in black; thus, the need for the BMW bolts if you want black bolts.

Please feel free to correct me if I got something wrong.

Last edited by malakaone; 03-24-2012 at 08:30 PM.
post #174 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for the info. on these lug nuts.
post #175 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, did a search and this is the exact info I was looking for!

Some additional background... I recently bought an Elise (been wanting one for 20 years!!) and it does not come with the owner's tool kit. So... I currently have no way to remove the wheels at all. Been looking for solutions, and switching to these BMW bolts will save me from having to hunt down one of those mystical 10-point extensions (that will surely cost my newborn). So I have a couple questions:

1. What's the chance of meeting another Elise owner in Central Ohio and "borrow" their tool so I can remove the factory bolts and permanently switch to the BMW bolt? Once switched I will no longer need the special tool.
2. Have anyone looked at Titanium bolts like these? Ultralight Titanium Lug Bolts w/Locks for BMW - BurgerTuning.com I suspect when this thread started back in 2006 they don't quite exist...

Thanks!

Wallace
post #176 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 PM

I heard that there are only a series of wheel keys so I guess if you borrow enough, you're bound to find the one that fits. I swapped to these lugs a few years ago. Never going back.
post #177 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post

1. What's the chance of meeting another Elise owner in Central Ohio and "borrow" their tool so I can remove the factory bolts and permanently switch to the BMW bolt? Once switched I will no longer need the special tool.

This happens quite often as the tool is easy to break if someone over tightens the bolts. Just post in the regional section of the forum and ask around in there. Should be able to find someone decently close. Just take the new bolts with you so you can do it wherever you meet them. Welcome to LT!
post #178 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, did a search and this is the exact info I was looking for!

Some additional background... I recently bought an Elise (been wanting one for 20 years!!) and it does not come with the owner's tool kit. So... I currently have no way to remove the wheels at all. Been looking for solutions, and switching to these BMW bolts will save me from having to hunt down one of those mystical 10-point extensions (that will surely cost my newborn). So I have a couple questions:

2. Have anyone looked at Titanium bolts like these? Ultralight Titanium Lug Bolts w/Locks for BMW - BurgerTuning.com I suspect when this thread started back in 2006 they don't quite exist...

Thanks!

Wallace
Call around to a few local tire shops if you are not going to reuse the wheel bolts and they should be able to remove them, might damage them but they should be able to pull them off.

Edit: also found this thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/...l-locks-95809/ not sure if @tesprit can help
post #179 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 04:24 AM

Garage
Quote:

Thanks!

Wallace

I actually have both the key you could borrow and the BMW bolts (somewhere) if you'd like to just have them assuming I can find them. I previously ran the BMW bolts before switching over to studs there is nothing wrong with them other than they could use a fresh coat of paint. I'm located in Columbus Ohio so let me know where you are and if you still need to borrow the tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #180 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Just post in the regional section of the forum
Ok will try that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Edit: also found this thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/...l-locks-95809/ not sure if @tesprit can help
Actually I just realized I was being unclear... I didn't need a wheel lug security key, I just need the standard 10-point "not-exactly-torx" thingy that comes with every Elise (except mine).

Cheers,

Wallace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in