BWR Extended Ball Joints - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdawson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

BWR Extended Ball Joints

I purchased these because I wanted to lower the front end of my Elise without having to reduce the length of the damper bodies. At stock ride height, they were already at the lower end of the spectrum for compression stroke. Lowering the car ~20mm would put them well into the bump stops over reasonable bumps.

In the box, 2X of these sets:

If you've worked on the suspension previously, tear down is straight forward. A ball joint separator like this one from Harbor Freight will be your friend when separating the lower ball joints. I also installed machined steering arms at the same time, so I separated upper, lower and steering ball joints.

With the lower arms accessible, remove them and use a press or keep them installed in the car and use a bolt-together-style removal tool... like this one. Installation is just the reverse of the process.

Installed:

Boot install is easy:

Inner view of the spindle assembly:

Lower view of the ball joint:

While the ball joints lower the front end about 25mm, I installed stiffer springs at the same time... so I was guessing at the ride height.

Here's a shot of the coilover assembly and remaining compression stroke remaining with a ride height of 100mm:

I'll likely raise it about 10mm for a final ride height of 110mm.
exigeams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Elise Guru

Lookin' good, JDawson!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Are there more people who installed these and can share some experiences?

I'm running a European VX220/Speedster and the front wishbone kinematics are even worse than the S2. (Elise S1 wishbones with S2 uprights + taller front wheels...)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedytec View Post
Are there more people who installed these and can share some experiences?

I'm running a European VX220/Speedster and the front wishbone kinematics are even worse than the S2. (Elise S1 wishbones with S2 uprights + taller front wheels...)
I just had these installed at BOE... Haven't really had a chance to drive the car on some fun roads yet due to weather however... I'll post impressions after I get a chance to evaluate.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Update: several hundred miles of driving and a sopping wet Laguna Seca track day on these joints. Everything feels great - no slop, low friction, & accomplished what I wanted.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Update: several hundred miles of driving and a sopping wet Laguna Seca track day on these joints. Everything feels great - no slop, low friction, & accomplished what I wanted.
So... besides the low friction etc., how did these exactly improve your track day driving??
I see the advantage with the straigther lower wishbone, but I'm hesitating with these because the top wishbone is still in the original position...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedytec View Post
So... besides the low friction etc., how did these exactly improve your track day driving??
I see the advantage with the straigther lower wishbone, but I'm hesitating with these because the top wishbone is still in the original position...
From the first post: I purchased these because I wanted to lower the front end of my Elise without having to reduce the length of the damper bodies. At stock ride height, they were already at the lower end of the spectrum for compression stroke. Lowering the car ~20mm would put them well into the bump stops over reasonable bumps.

Regarding the upper control arm comment:
The roll center is determined by the intersection of multiple lines of action (upper control arm, lower control arm, and contact patch through the point of intersection of the arms). By lowering the position of the outer lower control arm joint, you raise the roll center.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Elise Guru

Jdawson is correct. The reason we did this is that when you lower the car too much(not much in the front) the roll center goes below ground which causes a reverse weight transfer. In technical terms, it handles like crap. Raising the front roll-center makes the car handle properly. The upper only affects camber gain and short of stupid levels it isn't an issue. Our XP car handles pretty well and it is pretty low....

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 AM

BWR extended ball joint dimensions

I never received a reply to my inquiry at BWR. I'm looking for dimensions to find out if fitment of the extended ball joints is possible on the Esprit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lee
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:32 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Aviation View Post
I never received a reply to my inquiry at BWR. I'm looking for dimensions to find out if fitment of the extended ball joints is possible on the Esprit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Lee
Sorry Lee, I will get back to you today.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 AM

how many are in the set? - Compared to the stock ones they are really pricey if it is a single price :O
Do they replace all 8 balljoints ?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG1986 View Post
how many are in the set? - Compared to the stock ones they are really pricey if it is a single price :O
You just replace the lower two front ball joints.

Later,
Eldon
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG1986 View Post
These are custom machined both the cup and ball stud for the Lotus. The studs are made out of 4340. A proper race part for a proper car with low build numbers to go racing. Want dirt-cheap(in terms of price, quality, and service) bolt ons ? Get a civic.

Bump! For great guy, JDawson!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 05-09-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in