Carbon Fiber Rims - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 01:04 AM

Wouldn't heat be an issue on a racecar with carbon fibre rims?

And wouldn't unobtainium be the best material for a rim anyway?
Ie, boron titanium in aluminum matrix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I think once 3D printing tech matures just a bit more, you might see carbon fiber-esque wheels.

MarkForged has a printer capable of doing carbon reinforced parts they claim are stronger than 6061-T6. In my opinion, something like this is the only way you will ever see wheels for the elise/exige in carbon. The tooling and labor cost is just way too high especially considering the volume.

Light weight wheels are definitely the way to go, thats why we have the Monolites
We just developed the worlds first and only Carbon Fiber wheel spacers in the 4 bolt pattern.

Three times lighter than it's aluminum counterpart and every bit as strong.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Less is Better

New article on the Mustang wheels:

Carbon Revolution: Rethinking the Wheel, Aussie Style

It looks like they have already designed a wheel for the Elige, which seems like a natural pairing.

Volume manufacturing will bring the priced down eventually, but they'll never be as cheap as forged aluminum.

On the magnesium comment, yield strength and modulus of elasticity define the dimensions of the wheel, density essentially goes along for the ride. So you could make a wheel of the same geometry out of the two materials and get similar weight but the resulting strength and longevity would not be the same.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:19 PM

i was talking with Ian Briggs at BAC, and he was telling about some of the new composite construction that is making a carbon wheel viable (as stronger or more more reliable as alumn - crack/fracture testing) he is connected to the right vendors and manufactures, and it sounds like it will be happening on at least one high end exotic manufacturer in the very near future.

i still think its "the wrong material for the job" but i am old school....

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
i was talking with Ian Briggs at BAC, and he was telling about some of the new composite construction that is making a carbon wheel viable (as stronger or more more reliable as alumn - crack/fracture testing) he is connected to the right vendors and manufactures, and it sounds like it will be happening on at least one high end exotic manufacturer in the very near future.

i still think its "the wrong material for the job" but i am old school....
They're already on a $60,000 Ford. That takes a lot of steam out of them showing up on an exotic. Sort of like using magnetological shocks in a Ferrari when Cadillac had introduced them a decade before.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 PM

https://www.motortrend.com/news/carb...-aussie-style/

Longer article about the Mustang wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in