4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ls1Rx7
  • 1 Post By Ls1Rx7
  • 1 Post By Grunschev
  • 1 Post By XHILR8N!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Carbone Lorraine RC5+ bed in? So noisy.

I swapped out my very numb DS2500s for RC5+ and new rotors at all 4 corners. The bite is great, and the stop well in all conditions, but they sound like a city bus when they get to a walking pace. They are advertised as not needing a bed in procedure, but I'm skeptical. The front right also rattles badly.
They have a 500 mile road trip and several spirited drives on them. A few people have noted them being noisy, but many reviews around here claim they are quiet and well mannered. Thoughts?

2005 Lotus Elise, de-Hass'd. RLS mini-mirror, MWR Lift Point Kit, Homebuilt cup holder, Radium Clam-Kit, Sector DSbrace, and gPan, generic Deka ETX20L, hard engine mounts to stop the exhaust from breaking again. Adding Lightness by dieting, and reducing lap-times by adding seat-time.
2018 VW GTI, 6MT, White over plaid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:35 PM

I absolutely beat my brakes till they were smoking and they still didn't bed in enough for a track day the next day. They deff require a bed in process and it took me a full track day on top of that extreme bedding process to get them to bed in correctly.
AboutTime likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM

BTW a not so insignificant layer of grease on the back helped a ton. After the brakes get hot and the grease started smoking it becomes tacky and dampens vibrations a bit
AboutTime likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM

My first two sets were nice and quiet from the start. Latest set were noisy (like a locomotive horn) at less than 2mph. That got fixed by a single track session.
AboutTime likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks folks,
I took the car out and beat on them pretty hard yesterday, not a track session, but we'll see. I may also try a new type of brake goo. Hopefully this weekend will allow time for more testing, The car is on currently DWS tires and it's dreary here, so it's not ideal to get the breaks really hot.

2005 Lotus Elise, de-Hass'd. RLS mini-mirror, MWR Lift Point Kit, Homebuilt cup holder, Radium Clam-Kit, Sector DSbrace, and gPan, generic Deka ETX20L, hard engine mounts to stop the exhaust from breaking again. Adding Lightness by dieting, and reducing lap-times by adding seat-time.
2018 VW GTI, 6MT, White over plaid
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 06:26 AM

Garage
We have had probably a half dozen sets of CL 6, pure track use. Ultradisc rotors, a few sets.

Found a good bit of variation with noise. Never really did the typical bed in procedure with any of them. Some had noise as you have described, some were about like a street pad in that regard. But most just had intermittent squeal at low speed.

Be mindful of them rusting when wet. They can sorta attach to the rotors.
AboutTime likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:20 AM

I recently replaced my pads with RC5+, turned the rotors, new RBF600 and bedded at the track. Stops well and wasn't noisy until two days ago and the right front started making a clicking noise. I can replicate the noise just rotating the wheel back and forth when jacked. Glad I saw this post I was going to re bleed the brakes and will try something on the backside. The pads I pulled off left red goo all over the calipers that I cleaned off when I replaced the pads. Until now they were quieter and cleaner than the XP10's that were on the fronts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:39 AM

My experience with RC5+ is they do not make good street pads. They were great on the track where they get hot enough to put a transfer layer on the rotors. On the street where they stay cold, the transfer layer will be worn off the rotors and they will make all sorts of noise. On the street, without the transfer layer, they will also chew through rotors at a fairly fast pace.

I do not consider these good hybrid (street/track) pads. I would only use them on the track.

It is fairly easy to change pads on these cars, I would just swap pads for track days.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Elise Guru

I like the RC5+ on our street lotus. They are quiet. I do brake fairly hard. I don't care for them on the track as they need more bite for high speed slowdown such as the RC6. RC6 is noisy on the street. RC5+ is fine for autoX, just not enough bite for that high-speed initial bleed off of speed. My $0.02.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in