Conti Extremecontact DWS06 Feedback - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Conti Extremecontact DWS06 Feedback

I just installed the Conti DWS06s in the stock sizes. For as long as I can remember (40k miles) Iíve had RE11s but I drive a lot and I enjoy it for as much of the year as I can so an all season is a good option for me. I know the grip is not the same. Yep I get it but these also donít turn to glass at 45 degrees nor do they flat spot over the winter. I spent a long time contemplating this decision.

However I feel like the car now drifts left and right at highway speed, likes itís floating. Itís not really and it sticks remarkably well but it FEELS weird.

Anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Exige S, Chili Red, RE-11s, Gotham Tune, 2Bular Header/130mm Cat, 2Bular Hammer Head Muffler, Airbox Mod, K&N Filter, Cobra Antenna Mod, Shifter Reinforcement Mod, Multivex Mirrors, Visor Delete... High Performance Ultralight Wallet

Last edited by Glued; 08-07-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:26 PM

Tread squirm?

On my Saab viggen when I went from summer tires (pilot super sport) to snows (blizzak ws70) after my first drive with new wheels/tires with snows mounted almost every year I would think I had a flat tire with how much the car danced around. I know itís a extreme example but it was just the tread squirming.

Playing with tire pressure can help... it does on my present daily driver, Jeep Wrangler unlimited.

As the tires wear you will either get use to it.... or it wonít squirm as much
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Are the tires directional? I've seen some interesting mounting of directional tires that did not feel great at highway speeds.

How is your geometry? New tires can expose misalignment that the old tires masked. These cars get bent wishbones easier than you think.

What do your wishbone bushings look like. When they get worn the geometry is variable and varied

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2007 Exige S
Stripped down and turned into a track animal

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:00 AM

I have Extremecontact DWS06s on my (much much heavier) Pontiac G8 and don't have any issue like that. They do flat spot while sitting overnight in the winter, but they smooth out after they warm up a bit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB37 View Post
I have Extremecontact DWS06s on my (much much heavier) Pontiac G8 and don't have any issue like that. They do flat spot while sitting overnight in the winter, but they smooth out after they warm up a bit.
My wife also has them on her G8 with no squirm, BUT the tread blocks are much shorter relative to the width of the tire on that car. With the narrow fronts on the Elise, tread squirm is more noticeable.

I had them on my Elise due to an ordering error from the shop when I asked for DW and I remember a similar issue until they wore a little. The lack of grip though really is astonishing. I would strongly advise two sets of wheels/tires or else the car will really be let down by them.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:32 AM

I dont have those tires but it could possibly be they like a little lower air pressure. Drop a lb or two and see if it helps with the wandering at high speeds.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Race & Pamper

+1 lower tire pressures and see if that makes a difference
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

They are directional but not symmetrical... and they are mounted and installed correctly.

Iíll take a shot at the tire pressure though. Lower than 26 in the fronts will be really low, in a 1500# race car I rarely got below 20#.

This car has never been tracked or crashed. Not likely an alignment but fair point worth checking.

I purchased these due to reviews by others on this site. Anyone else have the DWS06s on their Elige and care to share feedback.

If itís just ďsquirmĒ due to tread depth I may see if I can get them shaved. My RE11 fronts never wore... these may not either.

2007 Exige S, Chili Red, RE-11s, Gotham Tune, 2Bular Header/130mm Cat, 2Bular Hammer Head Muffler, Airbox Mod, K&N Filter, Cobra Antenna Mod, Shifter Reinforcement Mod, Multivex Mirrors, Visor Delete... High Performance Ultralight Wallet
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 AM

I believe I have a very similar experience with mine Conti Extreme Contact Sport when I got it installed. However, when I bring it in for alignment check and the rear passenger toe is way out of specs. After alignment was done, that "floating" symptom is gone. So on your case, make sure you have your alignment check. It might be out of specs.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Love my DSW06's, but we're talking about on a Lexus IS, so different animal altogether.

So you really put this tire on your Exige???

Just wow.

2006 Exige
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:20 PM

I'm running DWS-06 on LSS rims 24f/26r love them on the street!. 15/16 R888R for the track
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailr27 View Post
I'm running DWS-06 on LSS rims 24f/26r love them on the street!. 15/16 R888R for the track

I gave the 24/26 psi a try. I think it is a small improvement. May try to lower a little further.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in