Continental ExtremeContact Sport vs. Yokohama Advan A048 vs. Toyo Proxes R888R - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 340
Continental ExtremeContact Sport vs. Yokohama Advan A048 vs. Toyo Proxes R888R

Looking to purchase a set of Exige wheels to be mounted to my Elise (16" x 6.5" front, 17" x 7.5" rear)

I drive maybe 1,000 miles a year. No track. No rain. So I dont really care about thread life, noise, wet traction. Just want a great overall tire. Anyone have experience between the 3? (Conti ExtremeContact Sport, Advan A048, Proxes R888R). I see the Conti's are rated really well, weigh less, last longer, and cost 1/2 the price. But would like 1st hand experience feedback.

Or, any other tire that you may recommend thats not on this list?


Also, is it best to stick to OE Exige tire size (195/50/16 fronts .. 225/45/17 rears) or go wider? Again, these would be mounted on an Elise (stock suspension)

Thank you
Beemerb0y is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 AM
He's on fire!
 
jds62f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,043
If I was in your position I'd have RE71r in the sizes that would fit - 205/45 up front and 225/45, or 235/45, in the rear.

The R comp tires strictly on the road likely aren't worth it from a performance per $$ perspective.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
jds62f is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
If you're not visiting a track I don't see why you would even consider the A048/888R.

All things considered, if I were in your position it'd be the R1R for me.


2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
If I was in your position I'd have RE71r in the sizes that would fit - 205/45 up front and 225/45, or 235/45, in the rear.
The 225/45 is 25" tall, and the 235/45 is a whopping 25.4" tall. Both taller than stock. Yet, with your recommendation for a front tire you've gone shorter than stock at 23.2.

It's a fantastic tire, but the specs don't work as well as the R1R (23.2/24.4) IMO.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
If you're not visiting a track I don't see why you would even consider the A048/888R.

All things considered, if I were in your position it'd be the R1R for me.
hmmm the R1R looks like a good option. It didnt come up on tirerack when I searched by vehicle. Will add this to my list. Thanks
Beemerb0y is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
hmmm the R1R looks like a good option. It didnt come up on tirerack when I searched by vehicle. Will add this to my list. Thanks
It's quite a popular road tire in the Lotus community.


2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Registered User
 
TachItUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,682
I have a set of the Conti ECS and like them a lot. I don't track the car and the grip is all you need for a public road. If you're only driving 1000 miles a year in dry conditions I'd suggest something more aggressive like the RE71R. You may need to go with 205/45/16 fronts if you're having issues finding 195s.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
TachItUp is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:12 AM
He's on fire!
 
jds62f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
The 225/45 is 25" tall, and the 235/45 is a whopping 25.4" tall. Both taller than stock. Yet, with your recommendation for a front tire you've gone shorter than stock at 23.2.

It's a fantastic tire, but the specs don't work as well as the R1R (23.2/24.4) IMO.
Tire Rack quotes an A048 rear as being 24.9" and the RE71r 225/45 as being 25".... In terms of revolutions per mile the difference is far less far less than 1%... basically immaterial. We could reasonably say the rear tires match and that the front tire is shorter. The differences you've cited are accurate but they aren't material from a performance perspective.

Thus, additional criteria are to be considered. RE71R appears to be both higher performing and cheaper, but both are good tires, and OP might have other criteria to differentiate between the two.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
jds62f is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Tire Rack quotes an A048 rear as being 24.9" and the RE71r 225/45 as being 25".... In terms of revolutions per mile the difference is far less far less than 1%... basically immaterial. We could reasonably say the rear tires match and that the front tire is shorter. The differences you've cited are accurate but they aren't material from a performance perspective.

Thus, additional criteria are to be considered. RE71R appears to be both higher performing and cheaper, but both are good tires, and OP might have other criteria to differentiate between the two.
You're right, forgot the stock balloon-spec.

Having said that, I feel like both the front and rear tires are too tall from the factory, and would never suggest people fit even taller tires. If they need to do that, they bought the wrong car.

The R1R is his tire IMO.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
If you're not visiting a track I don't see why you would even consider the A048/888R.

All things considered, if I were in your position it'd be the R1R for me.

I noticed they dont come in OE sizes. So this is the correct upsize? How are these tires in cold or wet conditions, if I ever do get caught in rain (although this Elise hasnt seen a drop of rain in the last 13 years!). Just want to be sure its a “safe” overall tire too.
Beemerb0y is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:34 PM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
I noticed they dont come in OE sizes. So this is the correct upsize? How are these tires in cold or wet conditions, if I ever do get caught in rain (although this Elise hasnt seen a drop of rain in the last 13 years!). Just want to be sure its a “safe” overall tire too.
Very common sizes.

You said you were wanting Exige wheels. The stock Exige wheels would have A048's on them, which run VERY big. So don't so much concentrate on the sizes, as all manufacturers are different. Instead, concentrate on the specs. And what I have shown you is very close to OE spec, and as I said, common.

They are a decent rain tire, but there is no Summer tire that is supposed to work in cold, so you'd be much worse off with more aggressive tires.

It's a balance you're looking for. IMO you don't want to go too far on either end, so no A048/888R, and no Conti IMO. Something in between is just what the doctor ordered, and that's this tire. Again, common in the Lotus community.

My recommendation is that you get 16x7 and 17x8 wheels if you can.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Have a look at the specs. I've highlighted what you need to look at.

The stock A048 is on the top, the R1R is on the bottom.

Notice the very different sizes, but they are very close in spec, with the R1R just being the shorter tire, and a bit wider in the rear. But very close.

And the difference in rake is .1, so nominal.


2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
I noticed they dont come in OE sizes. So this is the correct upsize? How are these tires in cold or wet conditions, if I ever do get caught in rain (although this Elise hasnt seen a drop of rain in the last 13 years!). Just want to be sure its a “safe” overall tire too.
Very common sizes.

You said you were wanting Exige wheels. The stock Exige wheels would have A048's on them, which run VERY big. So don't so much concentrate on the sizes, as all manufacturers are different. Instead, concentrate on the specs. And what I have shown you is very close to OE spec, and as I said, common.

They are a decent rain tire, but there is no Summer tire that is supposed to work in cold, so you'd be much worse off with more aggressive tires.

It's a balance you're looking for. IMO you don't want to go too far on either end, so no A048/888R, and no Conti IMO. Something in between is just what the doctor ordered, and that's this tire. Again, common in the Lotus community.

My recommendation is that you get 16x7 and 17x8 wheels if you can.
Great advise and knowledgeable recommendations..thank you.

I would get 16x7 / 17x8, or even a square setup of either size, I just cant find any wheels that I like out of the whopping maybe 10 available designs that fit our cars lol. The Exige or Elise LSS wheels look great, but Im open to aftermarket as well.
Beemerb0y is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
Great advise and knowledgeable recommendations..thank you.

I would get 16x7 / 17x8, or even a square setup of either size, I just cant find any wheels that I like out of the whopping maybe 10 available designs that fit our cars lol. The Exige or Elise LSS wheels look great, but Im open to aftermarket as well.
I had the XXR's for a while. They were 17/17 and fantastic IMO. Keep in mind that my car is lowered a bit, so yours wouldn't quite look this fantastic


VEP_6131
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
Great advise and knowledgeable recommendations..thank you.

I would get 16x7 / 17x8, or even a square setup of either size, I just cant find any wheels that I like out of the whopping maybe 10 available designs that fit our cars lol. The Exige or Elise LSS wheels look great, but Im open to aftermarket as well.
I had the XXR's for a while. They were 17/17 and fantastic IMO. Keep in mind that my car is lowered a bit, so yours wouldn't quite look this fantastic <img src="http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" class="inlineimg" /> <img src="http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Stick Out Tongue" class="inlineimg" />


VEP_6131
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
.. and I have an Elise, not as fantastic as an Exige lol

Do you have pics of any 16/17 or 17/17 on stock suspension?

Last edited by Beemerb0y; 06-01-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Beemerb0y is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
Do you have pics of any 16/17 or 17/17 on stock suspension?
I don't. Other than my stock LSS. No need to show those monster truck gaps though .

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
LionZoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brea, CA
Posts: 920
Why not go 15x7 / 17x8? That opens up a world of options. A 205/50-15 front 225/45-17 rear setup puts you in the tire market sweet spot.

And I wouldn't go R1Rs. They're really old, they don't have bleeding edge performance, but they're still not the most comfortable tire. Plus, they still heat cycle out, and for some reason they're still expensive. R1Rs were good 10 years ago, but the technology has moved on. Conti ECS is probably fine for street, but if you're going 15s, probably best to go with something like a Dunlop Z3.

2011 Lotus Elise SC Final Edition 15 of 15 - Ardent Red
LionZoo is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionZoo View Post
Why not go 15x7 / 17x8? That opens up a world of options. A 205/50-15 front 225/45-17 rear setup puts you in the tire market sweet spot.

And I wouldn't go R1Rs. They're really old, they don't have bleeding edge performance, but they're still not the most comfortable tire. Plus, they still heat cycle out, and for some reason they're still expensive. R1Rs were good 10 years ago, but the technology has moved on. Conti ECS is probably fine for street, but if you're going 15s, probably best to go with something like a Dunlop Z3.
16 already looks somewhat small, depending on the suspension setup

Id go 16/17 or 17/17

15 is not an option
Beemerb0y is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Registered User
 
brgelise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,913
So looks are more important than performance...Got it..

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V1 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]->stunning 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
brgelise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome