Cup car wheel sizes - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
I don't believe any tires have been developed that strike the same raod/track balance as r-compounds.
I didn't see anyone mention a track.

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:36 PM

I might be new HERE, but these endless tire discussions run rampant on every forum. I'll make a couple of points and the op can make his decision, but first...

Lets get real people...

These oem tires (the R rated Advans) are a complete waste. NO, they weren't put on the car(s) because it was the only tire. These, JUST LIKE the Cup2's and Trofeo R's are designed so manufactures can run certain lap-times, around certain tracks and brag that they did it on a street legal/dot tire that can be purchased with the car. Its also why they are WAY over priced. Its a very specific niche. That's it...nothing more, nothing less. Its a street legal dot R...Bam, done! (for the most part, you get it, I hope)

Moving on. You've essentially got two options. R888R's or a few different nearly-as-good extreme street tires. My current favorites are the RE series. I had both RE11's and RE71R's and they are as good or better than R888's, 8 out of 10 laps. This is a FACT! Not opinion. FACT! R888R's however are a new block tech with stiffer sidewalls and give warnings MUCH earlier than its predecessor and also don't fall off nearly as quick. They are really good.

So which to get? You have the cup wheels so you're in the acceptable range of a 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 in the RE71R's...Get those and don't look back. If you aren't tracking it, getting the 8R's to temp might be a problem. Canyon carving and still having double the tread life + better wet is reason enough to stick to those. I know plenty of people who run 888R's all the time, and its fine, but the margin on the track is so close between these two in HPDE events, that on the street, it should be easy to see why the 71R is the better choice. I don't think people realize how sticky these 71Rs get, they are an incredible tire.

Just run slightly lower psi levels and you're golden.
jlj3394 likes this.

2007 Lotus Exige S - Aspen White
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you kindly

I don’t drive at all in the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
There are a lot of people running larger sizes than stock on LSS wheels. I would recommend upsizing from stock on cup wheels. If I were to be shopping for southern california canyon carving tires for cup wheels I would likely get Hankook RS-4 in 205/45/16 and 235/45/17 sizes. Bridgestone RE-71R would also be high on the list.

These newer generation 200TW tires are almost as grippy as R compound tires but they do not suffer from heat cycling as bad as the R comps do.

I would not buy Toyo R1R tires unless you are shopping for rain tires. They are an old technology and will wear out a lot faster than the newer 200TW tires without providing as much dry grip.

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

So in the RE71R, will have to go wider to 245 then

Thank you for the recommendation

Lot to sort through for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGT View Post
I might be new HERE, but these endless tire discussions run rampant on every forum. I'll make a couple of points and the op can make his decision, but first...

Lets get real people...

These oem tires (the R rated Advans) are a complete waste. NO, they weren't put on the car(s) because it was the only tire. These, JUST LIKE the Cup2's and Trofeo R's are designed so manufactures can run certain lap-times, around certain tracks and brag that they did it on a street legal/dot tire that can be purchased with the car. Its also why they are WAY over priced. Its a very specific niche. That's it...nothing more, nothing less. Its a street legal dot R...Bam, done! (for the most part, you get it, I hope)

Moving on. You've essentially got two options. R888R's or a few different nearly-as-good extreme street tires. My current favorites are the RE series. I had both RE11's and RE71R's and they are as good or better than R888's, 8 out of 10 laps. This is a FACT! Not opinion. FACT! R888R's however are a new block tech with stiffer sidewalls and give warnings MUCH earlier than its predecessor and also don't fall off nearly as quick. They are really good.

So which to get? You have the cup wheels so you're in the acceptable range of a 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 in the RE71R's...Get those and don't look back. If you aren't tracking it, getting the 8R's to temp might be a problem. Canyon carving and still having double the tread life + better wet is reason enough to stick to those. I know plenty of people who run 888R's all the time, and its fine, but the margin on the track is so close between these two in HPDE events, that on the street, it should be easy to see why the 71R is the better choice. I don't think people realize how sticky these 71Rs get, they are an incredible tire.

Just run slightly lower psi levels and you're golden.

2007 Chili Red Elise
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post
So in the RE71R, will have to go wider to 245 then

Thank you for the recommendation

Lot to sort through for me
The minimum rim spec for the 245/40 is 8" if I remember correctly, and I think thats what you're using. Just double check. Otherwise, I believe your wheels fits the 205/45 and 245/40 great.

2007 Lotus Exige S - Aspen White
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
There you go again, thinking my Lotus is driven like my TL. But I wouldn't know anything about driving because I don't have canyons near my house, right?

Think again bro.

The thing is, the A048 is really a competition tire. Yes, you can drive it on the street back and forth to competition, but it's not a good street tire at all. Not nearly as good as say an RS4, AD08R, or RE71R. What do I mean by that? Well, it doesn't last nearly as long, it doesn't handle rain as well, and gets hard much quicker.

Now, if the average Elise/Exige buyer spent 80% of their miles on the track and 20% on the street, I'd side with Lotus here too. Unfortunately, it's the other way around.

Lotus chose the A048 because they had little else to choose from, PERIOD. And the same rings true today...because of the 16" front wheel choice.

But you go ahead and live your canyon life in 2004 Shinoo, I know you like it there .
@shinoo @VisualEchos We don't like it when Mom and Dad fight.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addliteness View Post
@shinoo @VisualEchos We don't like it when Mom and Dad fight.
I'm NOT fighting with Shinoo! Just a difference of opinion.
addliteness likes this.

2006 Exige
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

So my local guy said will match tire rack price

Went to his store to install

All the tires had a 04/16 date code

Didn’t want two year old tires

Will tirerack have newer manufactured tires ?

2007 Chili Red Elise
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:26 PM

TireRack has been known to sell some older tires, but by all accounts they are stored properly, so it's usually fine if you're not running a comp tire. Does your local place store them properly as well?

You can request new date-code tires from TR, just call when you make the order.

2006 Exige
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Didnít want two year old tires

Going through something similar with Discount Tire Direct. Fronts and rears came from different warehouses ó fronts date code 0616 from Georgia and rears 4917 from Ohio. Had a very good discussion with Customer Care rep and they are replacing the fronts with more current date code tires. Customer Care was great; hopefully, the Ohio warehouse will follow through ó will know when UPS delivers on Thursday.

Talk to a human at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct, donít just order via the web sites. Without direction to the contrary, a warehouse most likely will FIFO tires which for RE71s can be early 2016 production.

Bob L

2008 Solar Yellow Exige S240 (Torque 300)
1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
2016 Ford Flex--Tow Vehicle
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
TireRack has been known to sell some older tires, but by all accounts they are stored properly, so it's usually fine if you're not running a comp tire. Does your local place store them properly as well?

You can request new date-code tires from TR, just call when you make the order.
Didn’t realize I can request new date codes
I will then order on the phone

Tire installer said since I get little miles on the car, that my tires expire with time before mileage, so he returned the ones to the warehouse

Appreciate the help as always

2007 Chili Red Elise
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Bob

I have bought through discount tire before for my other vehicles
Sometimes their deals are great

What did you order through them if you don’t mind me asking ?

Did you do the 205/245 re71? Locally someone told me they trim the inner plastic liner for the 245. My 235s haven’t had any issues

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabob View Post
Quote:

Didn’t want two year old tires

Going through something similar with Discount Tire Direct. Fronts and rears came from different warehouses — fronts date code 0616 from Georgia and rears 4917 from Ohio. Had a very good discussion with Customer Care rep and they are replacing the fronts with more current date code tires. Customer Care was great; hopefully, the Ohio warehouse will follow through — will know when UPS delivers on Thursday.

Talk to a human at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct, don’t just order via the web sites. Without direction to the contrary, a warehouse most likely will FIFO tires which for RE71s can be early 2016 production.

Bob L

2007 Chili Red Elise
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you Bob

I have bought through discount tire before for my other vehicles
Sometimes their deals are great

What did you order through them if you donít mind me asking ?

Did you do the 205/245 re71? Locally someone told me they trim the inner plastic liner for the 245. My 235s havenít had any issues

Thanks
My RE71 order was for the Cayman. On my Exige, I run Hoosier A7s 205-45x16 and 225-45x17. Published specs show the 205 A7 to be wider section and tread than RE71 205. Using my S260 rims (same as you?), only change at the front is headlights removed ó probably not necessary but I did it for peace of mind.

At the rear, the 225 Hoosier and 245 RE71 are essentially the same section width and again more tread width for the Hoosier. I have to run a 5 mm spacer to get the Hoosier away from the Penske shocks and the carís frame rail then remove the side marker light assembly (cover the hole with reflector tape) for outside clearance. This is with monoball suspension bushings. With stock rubber bushings, rubbing the inner fender liner and or frame could be an issue ó not sure for your use but for mine (turn 17 Sebring) it was.

Bob L

1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
At the rear, the 225 Hoosier and 245 RE71 are essentially the same section width and again more tread width for the Hoosier. I have to run a 5 mm spacer to get the Hoosier away from the Penske shocks and the carís frame rail then remove the side marker light assembly (cover the hole with reflector tape) for outside clearance. This is with monoball suspension bushings. With stock rubber bushings, rubbing the inner fender liner and or frame could be an issue ó not sure for your use but for mine (turn 17 Sebring) it was.

Bob L
You might state your F&R camber and ride height specs, as both make a big difference to fitment.

2006 Exige
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
You might state your F&R camber and ride height specs, as both make a big difference to fitment.
True,

Front 110 mm, -2.3*
Rear 115 mm, -2.3*

Canít find toe numbers ó front slight toe out, rear slight toe in. Car has Elise Parts GT uprights (16 mm drop) so suspension arms are where a standard car would be at 126/131 mm ride heights. Not sure what is the track difference (and therefore tire clearance effect) associated with use of the EP uprights. It is not a problem for me so Iím not going bother measuring or calculating it. Not difficult to do if you want to.

Bob L

1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
True,

Front 110 mm, -2.3*
Rear 115 mm, -2.3*
Nice.

And quite far from stock

2006 Exige
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM

RE71 Date Codes

Replacement tires for the 0616 date code fronts I rejected (politely, firmly) just arrived. 2118 date codes from their Ohio warehouse ó big attaboy for Discount Tire Direct and their Customer Care agent Tomas.

Bob L
jlj3394 and VisualEchos like this.

1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Nice.

And quite far from stock
Borrowing from Bill Clinton ó ďI did not have sex with that woman.Ē
VisualEchos likes this.

1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Tire Rack can’t seem to find any tires newer than 2016.

I don’t want 2 year old tires.

Gotta start again I suppose

2007 Chili Red Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in