Dumb question: When upgrading to BOE 1/2 links, should I ditch the OEM toe link brace - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CRG53
  • 1 Post By Glen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dumb question: When upgrading to BOE 1/2 links, should I ditch the OEM toe link brace

I am assuming the toe link brace is no longer necessary once I upgrade to the 1/2 links (upgrading because my OEM studs were showing corrosion)

The studs included with the BOE 1/2 links don't seem long enough to accommodate the OEM toe link brace anyway.

Left a VM at BOE but I am in the middle of the work now and thought I'd post up for quick advice.

Thanks!

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:01 PM

I would install the brace, since you have it already. Get a couple of "SAME GRADE" bolts as supplied, but longer to fit the job.

Smoky likes this.

Boe REV 300 Supercharger.
Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe TOC wet sump oil pan.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
Boe HP fixed rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.
BWR Larini Group B Muffler.
BWR Street/Track Anti roll bar.
Mocal rear mounted oil cooler with fans.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
InoKinetic DS rear toe links.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
True, but these bolts are not cheap iirc. I guess I am asking if it is worth it. Is the toe link brace just redundant and unnecessary with the BOE half links since they seem to address the same problem? Or is it actual added insurance, meaning we assume the BOE links and studs might have the same failure risk as OEM?

I wish BOE had a checkbox option during checkout on these links to ask if we need longer studs to accommodate a toe link brace but they don't either because a) there are too many different toe link brace kits available to stock the variety of lengths required, or b) the toe link brace is no longer necessary.

I am taking a break overnight anyway because my rechargeable drill couldn't finish the job even with two full batteries. LOL It does everything else I ask of it and since I am asking it to be a handheld drill-press for this job I am giving it some slack.

-Smoky

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Nein Kinder

@Smoky - I would not install the OEM brace: with the BOE product, it is simply extra complexity and weight you don’t need.

The BOE product is designed to be used without any other reinforcement. It is extremely unlikely to fail if installed in accordance with BOE’s directions. You could retain the OEM brace, but it would have to be modified to accept the larger bolts. The larger bolts, by the way, are cheap . . . on the order of less than $2 each for a high-quality bolt.

Glen
Smoky likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Glen!

I think I will run without, at least for now. That's what I was hoping to hear; that the brace is unnecessary and the BOE 1/2 links are a "cure". I was hoping to add simplicity as well as lightness with this upgrade.

I must have been remembering the cost of the end links, rather than the bolts!

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in