ExtremeContact Sport in Elise/Exige sizes - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

ExtremeContact Sport in Elise/Exige sizes

There is a new tire option! Continental ExtremeContact Sport - summer performance tires - is available in 195/50ZR16, 205/45ZR16, 225/45ZR17 and 245/40ZR17. Just got a set for my Elise, plan to track it maybe once or twice a year.

ExtremeContact Sport - 195/50ZR16 84W | Continental
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 AM
glb

Could be promising.

What tires have you now?

Let us know what you think.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Why is everyone on this forum always looking for excuses not to run RE-71R? Why buy one of the best handling cars ever then put 340 TW tires on it!!??

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Why is everyone on this forum always looking for excuses not to run RE-71R? Why buy one of the best handling cars ever then put 340 TW tires on it!!??
Because some of us drive in rain and find it worth it for a little compromise in the dry. Others like to only spend $500 every 40,000 miles rather than $750 every 10,000 miles. I'm a bit of both, especially since most of my driving is road trips to the mountains where I have caught rain almost every time.

Edit: it looks like there is no way these are a legitimate 340TW judging by the initial responses. Consider my comment about tire life to be applicable to legitimate 340TW tires

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I put BFG Sport Comp 2s on my car when I purchased it to help learn the balance of a mid engine car at lower limits. The grip is still excellent for anything but track days, and I've not had a single issue in the wet, even during torrential rain. The fact that the tires last 3x as long is also nice if you drive the car often. Sure, if you're chasing the stopwatch it would be silly to buy anything but sticky tires but if you drive predominately on the street, there's nothing wrong with UHP summers.
me73 likes this.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 AM

I've driven the RE-71R's in the heavy rain including on the track in the rain. They aren't ideal, but to me its well worth the sacrifice. To each their own I guess, but the extra few hundred a year is well well worth it to me.
Liftnot2 likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
On my street driven sport pack I only drive the car for entertainment mainly on twisty roads or occasionally into work. I went from A048 to BFG Sport Comp 2, a summer tire with plenty of tread but nice, stiff sidewalls. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of making a smart purchase and the VALUE you get from your purchase. You know what I noticed? Almost no difference in the car's grip or responsiveness, but it did get a little quieter. The car is just as much fun with the BFGs. The limits of a high performance street tire are high enough that I can't get to them anyway in the way I drive. I suspect most people dive even less aggressively than I do and are receiving significantly less value for an R-Comp tire because they think they should have them.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM

I've been watching these with anticipation

Please give us your impressions once on the car

The RE71R is pretty harsh for driving around town. I may pick a set of these up as a rain/street tire soon.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
On my street driven sport pack I only drive the car for entertainment mainly on twisty roads or occasionally into work. I went from A048 to BFG Sport Comp 2, a summer tire with plenty of tread but nice, stiff sidewalls. It's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of making a smart purchase and the VALUE you get from your purchase. You know what I noticed? Almost no difference in the car's grip or responsiveness, but it did get a little quieter. The car is just as much fun with the BFGs. The limits of a high performance street tire are high enough that I can't get to them anyway in the way I drive. I suspect most people dive even less aggressively than I do and are receiving significantly less value for an R-Comp tire because they think they should have them.
Yeah, I'm currently running the Comp 2 because it is the closest to the DW. Once these burn through though, I was thinking about going with something a little more aggressive since I am starting to run into the limits of these tires trying to keep with guys on r-compounds. Definitely want to hear how these new contis are since they look to be a step in that direction

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Because some of us drive in rain and find it worth it for a little compromise in the dry. Others like to only spend $500 every 40,000 miles rather than $750 every 10,000 miles. I'm a bit of both, especially since most of my driving is road trips to the mountains where I have caught rain almost every time.

Edit: it looks like there is no way these are a legitimate 340TW judging by the initial responses. Consider my comment about tire life to be applicable to legitimate 340TW tires
Yes. After hydroplaning from Boston to NJ on A048s, I determined a better rain tire was next.

I was the slowest vehicle (incl trucks) on the highway.

One could drive carefully, but what happens in a "panic" stop?

When I picked up my Elise, my Toyota engineer friend looked at the A048s and said, "You realize that if the guy in front of you spits out the window, you'll spin, right?"

RE11s have been excellent. Even in terribly heavy downpours.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:04 PM
glb

Just checked and unsure how much this matters, but RE11 have TW of 200.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I had some "aged" SportContact2 tires on my car. Full disclosure, I do work for Continental. I'm not a track junkie, only plan to do 1 or 2 events a year. When I do, will take some data with Harry's Lap Timer. However, it's probably useless without a direct comparison.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:43 PM
glb

C&D tested 5 tires, August issue.

Extreme Contact Sport finished 2nd, behind Pilot Sport 4s, which don't fit most of our cars.

Better in wet the Pilots (.83g vs .80), but ride a bit below.

Dry, Pilots .95, Contacts .94. Pilot .6 seconds faster on autocross. 29.5 vs 30.1.

As I drive in rain, will consider the Contacts next.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 AM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
As I drive in rain, will consider the Contacts next.
Wet performance is high on my list also. A good part of my driving ends up in the rain, and if my wife is driving, I want her to have confidence in the wet too. I'm still running Yokohama AD-07 on my Elise and they do well in the dry and rain on the street.

I'm glad you posted the review by C & D ... I had RE-11's on my Porsche, but they are phasing them out in favor of the RE-71R. Unfortunately, neither of these Bridgestone tires are available right now in the sizes I need for my Porsche and I'm about to put about 6,000 miles on it in a series of road trips. So I'm going to try out the Continental Extreme Contact Sports - I'll try and post back how they compare to RE-11's.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Continental is running a $70-off promotion this month, so I'm going to give these a shot in the next couple weeks.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 AM

I had the ExtremeContact Sports installed this weekend. 205/45/16 up front and 235/45/17 out back for a total of $520 OTD after the $70 manufacturer rebate.

Initial impressions are very positive. I took the car up to the mountains and couldn't get them to complain. They instill a lot of confidence and are not going to break loose unless you are being an absolute maniac on public roads. These tires do seem to transmit a bit more vibration through the steering wheel on rougher roads compared to the BFG Comp2 I ran previously, but it's really a non-issue.

If you want to run a 'real' street tire that is capable in the rain, I highly recommend them.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Bump. My 2006 Elise Sport I just bought came with the original AD48 which at 9k miles are gone in the rear (plus they are way too old).

So need new tires. The car obviously has LSS wheels and thus 195/50/16 tires in front. In a bind what to go with. Probably not AD48s. Apparently not a greatest tire out there, given the choices, though available in the stock size (obviously). Considering the Contis, but I am not all that much after wet traction, and worry about numbed steering response. I am somewhat apprehensive of upsizing the front to 205/45/16 if I were to go with RE-71R Looks like many folks are running that with no issues, but that opens the question what to run in the rear if I go with 205/45/16.

Arrrgh. Any suggestions? In particular will I make the car too tail happy with 205/45/16 in front, while keeping the rear stock with 225/45/17?

Last edited by unclemat; 09-26-2017 at 08:53 AM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Garage
unclemat,

I have the Bridgestone RE71R in 205/45/16 and 225/45/17 for both street and non-local tracks and don't feel the "narrow" rear tire is a problem. You really have to be pushing it to get the rear loose (assuming that you have the correct air pressure - I find that they like a little less pressure). On the track I find the rear does get loose if the tires get too hot, but backing off for a half of a lap and they are good to go again.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:56 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
I just ordered a set of these in 205-45-16 (front) and 235-45-17 (rear). Thought I'd add 10mm to front and rear width

Since 2008 I've been running on a set of General UHP / G-MAX AS-03's in stock sizes and while they're cheap and have lasted forever I'm certainly ready for a change!

I'll post back once I had some street driving time under my belt...

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1735lbs.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Compound always beats dimensions. I have the Continentals (and love them) but will probably go Star Specs next time. Just dont put enough miles on the car or see enough rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in