ExtremeContact Sport in Elise/Exige sizes - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 02:30 PM

Decided to install a set in 195/225
Oem sizes to try on the street

Was running wider tires and it was nice to get back to stock

Only have 25
Miles so far

Looking to put 200 miles of twisties tomorrow to see how they are
Attached Images

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Slightly off topic but why do people change from oem 195/50-16 to 205/45-16 on Elise front tires? Sorry if it's NOOB question but I am a NOOB to these cars.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphjr_lt View Post
Slightly off topic but why do people change from oem 195/50-16 to 205/45-16 on Elise front tires? Sorry if it's NOOB question but I am a NOOB to these cars.
There aren't many tires that offer 195/50r16 tires. The 205/45 is more common.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post

Only have 25
Miles so far

How do you like them?
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:30 PM

Thanks. Not my car, yet.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post

Only have 25
Miles so far

How do you like them?
have put 1700 miles on them. Very twisty roads where I am (where all magazines do their testing)... loving them and recommend them highly

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:57 PM

What does everyone run when the weather gets cold? I have LSS Kumho/Conti DWS for street and 15/16R888 for track but was wondering what do you recommend when temps are under 45deg? The Elise is new to me 8/18 and I'm expecting maybe 4k a year but would like to be able to run one set on the street year round including 30-40deg. Stick with Conti DWS? The setup now is fine for the street as far as I'm concerned but was looking at what others were doing. Also what about the track? With March HPDE's being on the edge of good weather what do you run if it's cold? I load the open trailer the night before so a heaters not an option and I change to the R888's before loading. I read about all the warnings about cold exposure on summer tires and am concerned.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailr27 View Post
What does everyone run when the weather gets cold?
A Miata
glb likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailr27 View Post
What does everyone run when the weather gets cold? I have LSS Kumho/Conti DWS for street and 15/16R888 for track but was wondering what do you recommend when temps are under 45deg? The Elise is new to me 8/18 and I'm expecting maybe 4k a year but would like to be able to run one set on the street year round including 30-40deg. Stick with Conti DWS? The setup now is fine for the street as far as I'm concerned but was looking at what others were doing. Also what about the track? With March HPDE's being on the edge of good weather what do you run if it's cold? I load the open trailer the night before so a heaters not an option and I change to the R888's before loading. I read about all the warnings about cold exposure on summer tires and am concerned.
The mild summer tires like the Contis are much more tolerable to temperature swings, as you can see in their specific warning: "Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle."

I also like how gradually this category of tire give out at the limit, so I am going with them in the spring. Currently I have wayyy too old DW on the car though.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 AM

As I live in the great white North and my Elise is parked all winter I wanted more information on storage temperatures of the Conti's as they look like a potential when replacing my A048's in the future.
This is what I got back from Continental when I asked about storage temperatures:
"Our summer lines such as the Extreme Contact Sport or ContiSportContact family can have cold weather cracking if operated or left on a vehicle in freezing temperatures below 45 deg F ."

For reference Tire Rack has the following on the description of the A048:
"Important Care And Usage Instructions: The ADVAN A048 was developed using high performance compounds which become brittle at low temperatures, and therefore should not be used in certain conditions. ADVAN A048 tires thus must be stored or used only at temperatures at or above 14F (-10C) to maintain performance characteristics and to avoid any damage to the tire or injury to persons or property."

Have any of you that cold store your cars had a problem? At the moment the Yokohamas look more suited to cold storage. Maybe I'll be sticking (pun intended) with the A048 in the future.
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro574 View Post
As I live in the great white North and my Elise is parked all winter I wanted more information on storage temperatures of the Conti's as they look like a potential when replacing my A048's in the future.
This is what I got back from Continental when I asked about storage temperatures:
"Our summer lines such as the Extreme Contact Sport or ContiSportContact family can have cold weather cracking if operated or left on a vehicle in freezing temperatures below 45 deg F ."

For reference Tire Rack has the following on the description of the A048:
"Important Care And Usage Instructions: The ADVAN A048 was developed using high performance compounds which become brittle at low temperatures, and therefore should not be used in certain conditions. ADVAN A048 tires thus must be stored or used only at temperatures at or above 14F (-10C) to maintain performance characteristics and to avoid any damage to the tire or injury to persons or property."

Have any of you that cold store your cars had a problem? At the moment the Yokohamas look more suited to cold storage. Maybe I'll be sticking (pun intended) with the A048 in the future.
Despite the seemingly less worrisome warning, there's little chance that the Yoko isn't more sensitive to cold storage. It's a much softer compound tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in