Factory Track Pack Recommended Set up - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Buz

The rears have no remote resovoir though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:40 AM

I am bumping this thread because I am still very curious what the rear chassis brace kit is all about.

I just came from my test drive of the Elise at Fox Valley Motocars in West Chicago.

I pretty much know what I'd like to specify with the Elise EXCEPT for the track package as the stated 'Rear Chassis Brace Kit' eludes me. What is this?

Sounds like something to actuall improve the safety/integrity of the car.

Please someone post a pic.

Thank you in advance.
post #23 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Here you go:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...ght=rear+brace

Supposedly, the one the comes with the Track Pack is a little different. The one above is a stand-alone version, but not sure if it was superseded by the Track Pack version.

'05 Arctic Silver/Ruby Red - Touring/SS/HT

post #24 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Here is my kit...

As you said, it is to prevent chassis problems and improve safety, when the car is used under high grip loading conditions.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #25 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:08 PM

Thank you very much for the informative posts Spider and Randy Chase.

OK, so here's my next track pack question - I assume the track pack is factory installed. I hope this is not a stupid question but what is the ride height set to when you receive a Elise ordered with the track pack? Is it lower or the same as a Elise with a sport pack? On a visit today to a dealer I saw for myself the ride height on a '05 Elise with sport pack and it looked ok for the street.

I am VERY interested in ordering the Elise with this package but admittedly I will drive it more on the street than on the track. I will, in the future bring it to a track and like knowing that there are already provisions for mounting a harness, etc... I have participated in open track days before so yes, I am an addict. I love the idea of not having to piece meal this together in the future and have the car setup with this on day 1 when I pick it up from the dealer.

Uh oh...ok, i think now I am just writing tryng to convince myself that it is worth it.
post #26 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Sales

Hey Goelise.
They are delivered at the same ride height as a car without the Track Pack but can be lowered so that the center of gravity is lower and better suited for the track. The lower set ups my not be advisable for street use...............It's always a compromise............

Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

Mark Starr 914 217-4817
post #27 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Starr
Hey Goelise.
They are delivered at the same ride height as a car without the Track Pack but can be lowered so that the center of gravity is lower and better suited for the track. The lower set ups my not be advisable for street use...............It's always a compromise............
Thanks Markstar. Good, on it's ride home I prefer it set that way.

Thanks again to all who posted. What a great community.
post #28 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Sales

Randy,
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the rear brace after you install it and get a few sessions on it..........Please keep us posted. I have had several requests for installations but haven't done any as of yet..........

Good judgement is based upon experience. Experience is based upon BAD JUDGEMENT!!!

Mark Starr 914 217-4817
post #29 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Forum Founder

Garage
Hey Mark, I will do that. As soon as I get my car back together....

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #30 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:26 PM
BANNED

you won't feel a thing but peace of mind knowing that a weak link has been made stronger....as it should have been in the first place.......I've had mine on since November 05.....

Last edited by ronin; 03-18-2006 at 09:14 PM.
post #31 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Sales

I should add that I have gone through many sets of rear wheel bearings due to the added grip of running with slicks. I would imagine that the rear brace kit would help eliminate or at least lessen that added wear and tear of the added and not anticipated stress that slicks add to the rear suspension????? I have not seen that probem arise as of yet on the S2 but expect that this second season of track use with S2's and many running with slicks or Hoosiers, we'll start to see that problem. I would suggest that anyone with lots of track time give a real hard look at the rear wheel hubs and check for play. It's not fun when they go. I have also broken several of the 10.9 strength bolts that secure the rear hubs. If you are out there and running on slicks, I STRONGLY suggest changing the bolts as a precaution. They don't cost much and if you break one when you are on the track loading a wheel, it's not fun!!!!! I have broken them several times and have just made it in with 1 bolt hanging on to the hub keeping my wheel on the car. The warning sign is a wheel bearing noise when one side is loaded up but goes away when unloaded...............PULL IN AND STOP!!!! The cars were NOT designed to run on slicks.............The AO48's allow the rear end to rotate more freely and lessen the stress.............

Mark Starr 914 217-4817
post #32 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Sales

Randy,
Stop reading and writing and turn some wrenches!!!!

Mark Starr 914 217-4817
post #33 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Lotus Sales

I'll see Nick Adams and Matt Becker next week and ask them about it as well and let you know thier thoughts..............

Mark Starr 914 217-4817
post #34 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 PM
BANNED

have you seen this?
Attached Images

post #35 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:34 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Starr
I should add that I have gone through many sets of rear wheel bearings due to the added grip of running with slicks. I would imagine that the rear brace kit would help eliminate or at least lessen that added wear and tear of the added and not anticipated stress that slicks add to the rear suspension????? I have not seen that probem arise as of yet on the S2 but expect that this second season of track use with S2's and many running with slicks or Hoosiers, we'll start to see that problem. I would suggest that anyone with lots of track time give a real hard look at the rear wheel hubs and check for play. It's not fun when they go. I have also broken several of the 10.9 strength bolts that secure the rear hubs. If you are out there and running on slicks, I STRONGLY suggest changing the bolts as a precaution. They don't cost much and if you break one when you are on the track loading a wheel, it's not fun!!!!! I have broken them several times and have just made it in with 1 bolt hanging on to the hub keeping my wheel on the car. The warning sign is a wheel bearing noise when one side is loaded up but goes away when unloaded...............PULL IN AND STOP!!!! The cars were NOT designed to run on slicks.............The AO48's allow the rear end to rotate more freely and lessen the stress.............
I assume that you must have done also someting with the oil supply. The 111R cannot sustain long periods with > 1.1G, so in order to fit slicks and deal with higher Gs, we should also consider changing either the oil pan, or adding an accusump or fitting a dry sump

I'm seriously considering fitting slicks in the very near future, but oil comes first...

Theo
Greek Lotus Club Admin
www.lotusclub.gr
post #36 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyElise
Randy - Are you doing the install and toe adjustment?

Yes.

And the oil pan.

post #37 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:19 AM

Mark,
As I now have the Ohlins installed, I am assuming that for track use, the alignment above would benefit me also? I currently have the stock height beacuase I was told that any lowering would create bump steer. I am only going to do AX this year with a Caterham so I would like the best setup for track I can get. Thanks.

2006 Exige Chrome Orange
post #38 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Lotus Sales

Het Adamant,
Suspension set up opinions are like butt holes..........Everyone has one. My suggestion is to find out what works for you. As far as Lotus is concerned, I just spent some time with Nick Adams in Atlanta and they prefer the car set up with a softer suspension allowing for the car to move freely. The stock suspenion is remarkable right out of the box. You have to take into consideration that it was also designed to be driven on the street. If you go lower and stiffer, you will be sacrificing that aspect of the suspension. I prefer a stiffer, lower setting. My car is set up lower than any Elise I have seen stateside and like it that way. Other than being hard to load on a trailer and destroying my inner wheel arches, I love the lower center of gravity and firm bite my Nitrons provide. Stiff springs with softer damping for grip. Hell what do I know. Matt Becker, the chief engineer for Ride and Handling for the Elise will be driving my car and we'll see what a real pro thinks................

Mark Starr 914 217-4817
post #39 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:43 AM

Mark

I'm at 100/110mm ride height. Are you lower than this?

Also - do you have the uprated uprights and toe-links?
post #40 of 164 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Side note about the rear track brace installation. I always find the Lotus supplied instructions... well... interesting. I read it a few times and dry fitted things and it seems pretty easy actually to install. Probably the most time consuming thing is the alignment.

With one exception. The rear brace main part has a tab welded on to it that has two holes in it. These two holes use the engine mount attachment bolts to tie the brace into the crossmember structure. The instructions note that your car might have the nuts for the engine mount welded to the crossmember, and if so, they need to be chiseled/ground off. What is worse, is that the two nuts are bit shielded by the engine mount itself, so working room is problematic.

So... anyone have hints on the easiest way to chisel or grind off off the nuts? Maybe a dremel????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in