Finally settled on a new wheel/tire combo... - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 119Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
You're driving a Lotus, not a Honda Civic. One of the hardest lessons to learn is to never, EVER, cheap out on parts that keep you safe, wheels and tires included. Even if you're hard parking, hellaflush, stancenation, scenepointspimping, Do not run xxr's. You've got a $30,000+ car.

Team Dynamics are "cheap" but used very commonly for track duty. Just because a wheel is inexpensive does not make it "bad". Also, if you are citing $30k like its some kind of big number, just remember it's about the price of a well appointed civic, which probably has XXRs in its dreams.
Your argument is flawed.
Coyne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:37 AM
Registered User
 
brgelise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,909
Those 17/18's just look silly and suggest the esthetic is far more important than the abilities. Why not just add -5 camber all around and be done with it??

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V1 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]->stunning 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
brgelise is offline  
post #43 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
You're driving a Lotus, not a Honda Civic. One of the hardest lessons to learn is to never, EVER, cheap out on parts that keep you safe, wheels and tires included. Even if you're hard parking, hellaflush, stancenation, scenepointspimping, Do not run xxr's. You've got a $30,000+ car.
1. You're paying for your car, not mine, so don't tell me what to do.
2. I have a set of LSS with R888's, and Cup240 wheels with A005's, I just wanted these for photography.
3. You have 3 posts, you're nobody, stop wasting my time.
avonnieda, MotoGeek and Coyne like this.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is online now  
 
post #44 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Those 17/18's just look silly and suggest the esthetic is far more important than the abilities. Why not just add -5 camber all around and be done with it??
You're entitled to your opinion on the looks, but don't put me in the -5 camber crowd, that's just rude. I love the way they look, and will be keeping them, regardless of what the cars "abilities" are. I don't live my life a 10th of a second at a time, and if you do, fine, but to each their own.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is online now  
post #45 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
UK Exile

 
exlondoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Team Dynamics are "cheap" but used very commonly for track duty. Just because a wheel is inexpensive does not make it "bad". Also, if you are citing $30k like its some kind of big number, just remember it's about the price of a well appointed civic, which probably has XXRs in its dreams.
Your argument is flawed.
TD is "Cheap"? Are you implying this on the general scale or to particular set of wheels by TD.

I don't consider their flagship set I just finished having built over two months cheap.
exlondoner is offline  
post #46 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 6,294
the arguments in these threads are hilarious... it's like nit-picking an established super model. They all look great. Some are athletic builds and some are softer/curvier--- but both are unarguably attractive--- albeit someone's eye or lifestyle may prefer one to other when you imagine living with it.lol.

Glad your happy with your super model, Andrew.

-Phil


Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

____________________________________________

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice


BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
turbophil is offline  
post #47 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Registered User
 
FrankenLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 16
Absolutely stunning car. If you drove past me, I'd probably get into an accident from staring too long. @[email protected]
VisualEchos likes this.
FrankenLotus is offline  
post #48 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
TD is "Cheap"? Are you implying this on the general scale or to particular set of wheels by TD.



I don't consider their flagship set I just finished having built over two months cheap.

I'm talking about price for their non-custom wheels that people run at the track. In the scheme of things, they are relatively inexpensive. Also, my commentary expressly implied the lack of correlation between price and quality. Savvy?
Coyne is offline  
post #49 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mahboula, Kuwait
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
1. You're paying for your car, not mine, so don't tell me what to do.
2. I have a set of LSS with R888's, and Cup240 wheels with A005's, I just wanted these for photography.
3. You have 3 posts, you're nobody, stop wasting my time.
1. You're right. I'll also be one of the many people to laugh if and when something bad happens while on your crap wheels
2.That's cool. Please tell me how often you actually run these for their intended use
3. You're correct. I made an account just so I can watch you destroy your car on cheap, poorly made wheels
Eric Sansonetti is offline  
post #50 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:21 AM
Registered User
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,601
Hey guys, this much is clear:

Don't feed the troll.

Also, I can feel the BanHammer coming.
VisualEchos and oldmansan like this.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Butters is offline  
post #51 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 03:25 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
1. You're paying for your car, not mine, so don't tell me what to do.
2. I have a set of LSS with R888's, and Cup240 wheels with A005's, I just wanted these for photography.
3. You have 3 posts, you're nobody, stop wasting my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
1. You're right. I'll also be one of the many people to laugh if and when something bad happens while on your crap wheels
2.That's cool. Please tell me how often you actually run these for their intended use
3. You're correct. I made an account just so I can watch you destroy your car on cheap, poorly made wheels
You've both stepped over the line(s) a bit. "You're nobody" wasn't called for. To seemingly wish ill will towards another for running wheels deemed cheap isn't "cool" either.

Yes mods, it's late and I've had many beers but I'm still "keeping it classy".

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #52 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 05:31 AM
because racecar
 
dallasreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 540
I've ran my fair share of track days and autox on XXRs on my RX8. I guess I like to live dangerously LOL
VisualEchos, avonnieda and Coyne like this.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
dallasreed is offline  
post #53 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
1. You're right. I'll also be one of the many people to laugh if and when something bad happens while on your crap wheels
2.That's cool. Please tell me how often you actually run these for their intended use
3. You're correct. I made an account just so I can watch you destroy your car on cheap, poorly made wheels
Let me take this opportunity to not play your game.

First, my apologies for telling you that you're nobody, it wasn't nice. I tend to not be so nice when I feel like I'm being attacked, so, sorry for that.

Second, I don't race my car, that's a rich person's game. Not because track time, transport, tires, are so expensive, but because you destroy the car in the process, and I simply can't afford to do that.

Lastly, I hope that isn't true, wishing ill-will on others because they are different is a huge part of why the world is in the state it's in.

Let's chill and enjoy our differences guys, not kill each other for them.

Peace.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is online now  
post #54 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
rb26dett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Let me take this opportunity to not play your game.

First, my apologies for telling you that you're nobody, it wasn't nice. I tend to not be so nice when I feel like I'm being attacked, so, sorry for that.

Second, I don't race my car, that's a rich person's game. Not because track time, transport, tires, are so expensive, but because you destroy the car in the process, and I simply can't afford to do that.

Lastly, I hope that isn't true, wishing ill-will on others because they are different is a huge part of why the world is in the state it's in.

Let's chill and enjoy our differences guys, not kill each other for them.

Peace.
Now that's a classy comeback. Plus I don't think TD make cheap wheels. Both the 240 cup wheels and the ones on the new Elise cup R are made by TD. I have both of these wheels.
rb26dett is offline  
post #55 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mahboula, Kuwait
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
Now that's a classy comeback. Plus I don't think TD make cheap wheels. Both the 240 cup wheels and the ones on the new Elise cup R are made by TD. I have both of these wheels.
TD don't make "cheap" quality wheels. I was speaking of the XXR's. But OP is correct. I wasn't here to give hate, was here to find out why OP cheaped out with getting XXR's. My personal opinion would be to get something like CCW's or even the cheaper alternative, Rotiform, just because their wheels are made to your custom specs, without gouging you.
Eric Sansonetti is offline  
post #56 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:46 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
TD don't make "cheap" quality wheels. I was speaking of the XXR's. But OP is correct. I wasn't here to give hate, was here to find out why OP cheaped out with getting XXR's. My personal opinion would be to get something like CCW's or even the cheaper alternative, Rotiform, just because their wheels are made to your custom specs, without gouging you.
I would advise you to be less negative to forum members. You only have a few posts and you've already been characterized as a troll by a respected and solid forum member. You're not off to a good start.

The OP manned up and graciously apologized for his comment towards you and you're still being negative.

The OP chose the XXRs for aesthetic reasons. He is a photographer and values the look of his car first and foremost. I think they look good. He (and others) don't care what you think of them.

The OP has two other sets of lightweight wheels. I value weight over looks, but honestly he's using the XXRs for photo shoots and casual driving. He certainly doesn't have to justify the amount of time the other sets of wheels spend on his car to you (or anyone).

This is a great forum, one of the best. You should probably take advantage of it (by not getting banned).

A very smart moderator (or maybe a few of them) advised me to ask myself if I was adding to the forum when I posted. Good advice for all.

San
glb and VisualEchos like this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
post #57 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,982
New shot


My Sinful Muse.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
AZelise and MotoGeek like this.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is online now  
post #58 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Registered User
 
KWYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
TD don't make "cheap" quality wheels. I was speaking of the XXR's. But OP is correct. I wasn't here to give hate, was here to find out why OP cheaped out with getting XXR's. My personal opinion would be to get something like CCW's or even the cheaper alternative, Rotiform, just because their wheels are made to your custom specs, without gouging you.
wait until you see his spinners before giving your opinions

05' EXIGE , SAFFRON YELLOW
KWYK is offline  
post #59 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 AM
2006 Exige
 
AZelise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 660
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
New shot


My Sinful Muse.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
The pic is awesome. From above, the Exige looks fabulous. I guess it does from all angles... But because it is in this thread, I expected to see those CHEAP wheels better!
VisualEchos likes this.
AZelise is offline  
post #60 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:52 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZelise View Post
The pic is awesome. From above, the Exige looks fabulous. I guess it does from all angles... But because it is in this thread, I expected to see those CHEAP wheels better!
I think that's the point of the shot. Most of the car is "hidden" and we only get a shadowy look/overview. I could be way off base so I'll let Visual Echo chime in.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome