Finally settled on a new wheel/tire combo... - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I think that's the point of the shot. Most of the car is "hidden" and we only get a shadowy look/overview. I could be way off base so I'll let Visual Echo chime in.

San
Yeah, I shoot most of my auto shots like boudoir portraits, just enough shown to tease your imagination. I love the way the light glints off the tines of these wheels, so I wanted to show that, just didn't over-state it.

There will be many more pix to come .

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 PM

Boudoir auto photography. Lol... Nice
Take the top off and let a little nip slip. Haha
VisualEchos and MidnightATL like this.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #63 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 AM

XXR's are hands down cheap wheels. You don't drive a cheap car. That's the point I'm getting across. I'd never take the chance of driving 5 miles on knockoff wheels just to take pictures. I think your car looks good. I'm sure it looks better with your better sets of wheels/tires on it. This is a forum, opinions will be voiced. Welcome to the internet.

post #64 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
XXR's are hands down cheap wheels. You don't drive a cheap car. That's the point I'm getting across. I'd never take the chance of driving 5 miles on knockoff wheels just to take pictures. I think your car looks good. I'm sure it looks better with your better sets of wheels/tires on it. This is a forum, opinions will be voiced. Welcome to the internet.

"So let's bust a few myths.
The wheels are made in Taiwan, by a wheel manufacturer who makes licensed wheels for Work (amongst other brands). That means they are made on the same machine, with the same machine operators, using the same paint and finish as the rest of the wheels they make.
They are not copies, or fakes. XXR have always branded themselves as XXR.

XXRs come in a large array of offsets and widths (purely for the aggressive aesthetic) with varying widths in order to achieve the concave look without getting too wide and keeping

Our biggest selling wheel is the XXR 527. There seems to be an online theory that 527s are Advan RS ripoffs, but side by side, they are clearly different. Just because a wheel has 10 thin spokes doesn't make it an Advan RS knockoff.
Or is the Advan RS a ripoff of wedsport tc105n?
Let's not go down the design borrowing path, but XXRs are in no way a chinese replica wheel company, trading off the coattails of more expensive brands

Let's also distance XXR from Rota whilst we are at it. When you see a fractured Rota after street or track use, don't then pigeonhole XXR in the same category, there is no assimilation.

OK, the next thing we hear is "XXRs are heavy as".
So what is lightweight? The XXR 527 in an 18" wheel weighs less than 10kg. Considering most other cast alloy wheels ("JDM" or not) in the same sizes won't weigh less than 8.5-9kgs, there might be a single kg difference between them, if that.
They are marketed as lightweight wheels, and we think that it is fair enough. It certainly doesn't affect their quality detrimentally.

The next one is "oh, they are cheap wheels, I don't trust them".
Why does cheap equal poor quality?
XXR wheels are both VIA (Vehicle Inspection Association of Japan) and JWL (Japan Light Alloy Wheel standard) certified. That means they passed some of the most rigorous wheel testing in the industry, just like the OEM or JDM aftermarket wheels which means they are safe.

Japan is also XXRs biggest market.

I think this covers the bulk of the arguments.
We hear that they are not suitable for track use. I'll hopefully have a post in a month or so with an R35 GTR in Australia using XXRs as a track wheel exclusively.

We don't want to put down other brands of wheel, especially not high end JDM wheels. XXR offer a range of high quality, good looking, reliable wheels at a sensationally good price, and fantastic value for money.

It's OK not to like a brand, but make sure you know the facts before you spread hate."
VisualEchos likes this.
post #65 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorichard View Post

It's OK not to like a brand, but make sure you know the facts before you spread hate."
I run XXR,fantastic wheel,look great and very good quality and alot better than the crappy weak offsets Lotus provide
I wouldnt take alot of notice about some of the Colin Chapman fanboys carrying on here,if they knew some of the cheap ass parts their beloved Lotus used on their cars,they may go hide their head in shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sansonetti View Post
This is a forum, opinions will be voiced. Welcome to the internet.
i agree,so on that note,considering the dribble you have ranted in this thread,you are what we call in Australia a "fkn idiot" lol
VisualEchos likes this.

05' EXIGE , SAFFRON YELLOW

Last edited by KWYK; 07-23-2016 at 03:24 AM.
post #66 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:46 AM

I have had my fair share of expensive and cheaper wheels and without doubt XXR are fantastic quality given the price. No complaints here at all
Attached Images

post #67 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Still trying to capture just exactly what these wheels look like on the car in real life (outf¨ckingstanding), and it's pretty much a lost cause, they just don't translate to pictures very well (interesting, since I purchased them for photography purposes). But man, I love the way they look IRL, just so perfect for the car. I have had so many compliments I can't even count them. No question in my mind that they blow the other 2 sets away in that regard, but I think I'll keep them all just for fun.

More pix soon :-)
surferpkt likes this.

2006 Exige
post #68 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM
because racecar

For what its worth I've ran XXR back to back with Konig milligrams on an rx8. I'm not convinced the konigs are worth twice the money even though they are way lighter. I don't compete to win in the rx8 though
VisualEchos likes this.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #69 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWYK View Post

i agree,so on that note,considering the dribble you have ranted in this thread,you are what we call in Australia a "fkn idiot" lol
We in the United States would call him the same thing.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #70 of 165 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post

What tires/sizes are you running?

Going by memory, but I think:

Front:
17x7.5 + 10(?) mm spacer to stock offset
215/40-17

Rear:
18x9.0 - no spacer, offset is slightly (3-5mm?) more neg than stock
255/35-18

As mentioned earlier, the rolling diameters are exactly the same as oem cup sizing, so swapping to a track setup is straightforward. Also the tires widths are spot on for the wheel widths. No stretch or pinch. I'm running 1 camber shim all the way around, and get zero rubbing.

Tire selection is challenging due to the sizing, but these are strictly for legal(ish) street driving and hard parking, so the demands aren't high.
VisualEchos likes this.
post #71 of 165 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. The Elise/Exige comes with very little negative camber from the factory, something like -.2░, and if you bought this wheel/tire combo with stock camber, it would definitely poke in front because of it. This XXR combo is going to require -2░ in the front, and -1.5░ in the rear for no poke, but that's totally fine, and just what the doctor ordered IMO, the car turns so much better with increased camber in the front, it's like it's a whole new car. The best part? You can't even see it, so no, you won't have anyone confusing you for being "stanced" with broken suspension bits .

This combo was easy for me because I already had -1.5░ up front from having my LSS struts re-grooved to give me a .75" drop. The rear was something like -2.5░ from the factory, so I added shims to match the front and rear to -1.5░ because I find that visually appealing (and again, don't race the car). You could get the -2░ you need with the Sector111 steering arms.
I absolutely love the stance of your car and all the amazing pictures you take of it. What do you mean by "re-grooved" struts? How does one do that?
VisualEchos likes this.
post #72 of 165 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbishman View Post
I absolutely love the stance of your car and all the amazing pictures you take of it. What do you mean by "re-grooved" struts? How does one do that?
The struts themselves have different heights available to them. If you look closely at them, there are grooves where the snap ring can be moved to in order to raise or lower the ride height via the strut itself (presumably for different car applications, but don't quote me on that). It's my understanding that Phil added an additional groove, allowing the car to run on the factory suspension, but a bit lower. Phil had done this sort of thing before without ill effects, and to date I've not had any issues at all, the car drives fine in a normal, and spirited manner. I got an easy -1.5░ camber out of the front as well, which totally changed the handling characteristics of the car...far to the better for sure.

2006 Exige
post #73 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Headed out with a friend the other day, perfect VisualEchos weather (think UK). Got a couple of shots that perfectly show what I was after with the combo. Please save and view on black.

When the Levee Breaks.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Winter.
Coyne, ERDoc74 and lobuzz311 like this.

2006 Exige
post #74 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 AM

Such great photos
VisualEchos likes this.
post #75 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Headed out with a friend the other day, perfect VisualEchos weather (think UK). Got a couple of shots that perfectly show what I was after with the combo. Please save and view on black.

When the Levee Breaks.

Winter.

Fantastic shots. These are the kind of shots I want of my car.
VisualEchos likes this.
post #76 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I've wanted to shoot at this spot for a long time, just needed the right pieces to fall into place, and one of them was the wheel/tire combo. These shots just wouldn't be the same without the dark wheels with the little light glints coming off of the thin tines. It probably sounds strange to most, but you just can't shoot any wheel with any car in any situation. Imagine the shot below with those wheels and vice versa, and you'll understand immediately. It simply wouldn't work.

Vapor Trail.
ERDoc74 and lobuzz311 like this.

2006 Exige
post #77 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1482110494.531482.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  242.1 KB

With my new black LSS wheels.
post #78 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Well, i must say, you are one hell of a good photographer . Very nice indeed.

The Lotus Sport Wheels, ............ are they available?

Many thanks,

Frank
VisualEchos likes this.
post #79 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Frank View Post
Well, i must say, you are one hell of a good photographer . Very nice indeed.

The Lotus Sport Wheels, ............ are they available?

Many thanks,

Frank
Thanks Frank.

Contact Stephan of VSAMotorsports for the wheels, they are a vendor here. I don't think they make individual sets, but if there are several people that want them then they do a run. Classiest looking wheel on the Lotus IMO, and impossibly easy to keep clean. I even clean the insides of mine because the spokes holes are so wide the barrel can be reached.

ERDoc74 likes this.

2006 Exige
post #80 of 165 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Just adding some pix to this thread for those that might go this way in the future. Again, keep in mind that my car is .75" lower than stock, and you'll need at least -2░ camber in front to run my exact combo. Very worth it IMO.

Colourbox.

Garage Shot.

Sky Valley II

Nружина

January.

Sentinel II

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in