Front brake calipers creaking... Need help! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 AM
German Reimport

Get a louder exhaust
My shifter and the clutch pedal are squeaking, but after being done with my track days for this year (noise limits) I just put the Larini back on last night.
So no more reason to worry about the squeaks

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

The last time I had the wheels off I cleaned the calipers and the backs of the pads. I add new anti seize grease to the back of the pads and the problem hasn't been back since. My guess is that old grease or pad backing was worn out, and once brake dust came between the piston and the back of the pad with brake dust particles in there it created enough friction to lead to the creaking/chattering.

Go by your local parts store and pick up a small pack or two of anti seize grease and apply it the backside of the pads where the piston makes contact(after you clean them of course). This should solve your problem.

FYI, I have a larini club sport side exit and you can still hear the creaking even over the exhaust

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.

Last edited by surferpkt; 09-11-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added Note
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:48 PM

I just tested. The creaking sound is not the brake pedal. It is coming only from the passenger side near the front wheel caliper.

I'll try to clean around that area and will try some of the anti seize too. Thanks.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

David,

This should solve your issue. Its really not that hard to remove the wheel, the brake pads and finally the caliper(two bolts). Spray the caliper down with brake cleaner to remove any dust around the piston. Clean the backs of the pads and then add the anti seize grease. Best of luck!

Also if the right side is making the noise, sure as anything the left side is not far behind. Best to do both to keep it from coming back anytime soon.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferpkt View Post
David,

This should solve your issue. Its really not that hard to remove the wheel, the brake pads and finally the caliper(two bolts). Spray the caliper down with brake cleaner to remove any dust around the piston. Clean the backs of the pads and then add the anti seize grease. Best of luck!

Also if the right side is making the noise, sure as anything the left side is not far behind. Best to do both to keep it from coming back anytime soon.
A friend who has worked on brakes mentioned that there might be some springs in the calipers that might pop out when I take them apart. Is that true for our cars?

If taking the calipers apart is pretty fool-proof I think I'll do as you recommend.

2009 Saffron Elise
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:17 PM

I have seen something similar before due to brake pad taper. If your pistons are slightly cocked in the bore you can get a loud creak noise from the caliper as the piston slides in the bore. The turned surface finish of the piston slides across the turned surface finish of the caliper bore and the creak noise is the stick slip of these two surfaces sliding across each other. I have seen this occur with as little as two millimeters of taper across a brake pad. I saw this recently with a stainless steel piston in an aluminum 4 piston fixed caliper, particularly when the brake was hot. The piston and caliper bore surface finishes were rough like record grooves if you dragged your fingernail across the surface. You have not happened to change brake fluid type lately? Some fluid has different lubricating properties.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 AM

No I have not changed brake fluid recently.

In the past month though I have driven north of the city in cottage areas and also along a beach front. Perhaps I picked up some sand in the brakes.

2009 Saffron Elise
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
David,

Thanks again. I cleaned up the passenger side and all is well, no more creaking. I think I will clean up the driver side too.

I pulled out the pads but I didn't bother unbolting the calipers. I added the anti-seize grease as you recommended.

I located the Sector 111 four minute video of how to change brake pads on the Elise. That gave me the confidence to proceed.

The before and after pictures below tell all.
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

Glad I could help! Its always good to give back to that which I've gained so much.

In my 8+ years of ownership between my own trials and errors in hunting down odd noises to the wealth of information & knowledge from this forum and its members, this has truly made my ownership of this car one of the best experiences in car ownership. Of course the handling and performance helps as well!

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:21 AM

Driver side fronts

Cleaning up the passenger side front brakes cured my creaky sound. It was also suggested that I clean the driver side. I've now done that and included some photos of the driver's side.

Braking is smooth firm and quiet. I'm a happy camper.
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmangm View Post
I have seen something similar before due to brake pad taper. If your pistons are slightly cocked in the bore you can get a loud creak noise from the caliper as the piston slides in the bore. The turned surface finish of the piston slides across the turned surface finish of the caliper bore and the creak noise is the stick slip of these two surfaces sliding across each other. I have seen this occur with as little as two millimeters of taper across a brake pad. I saw this recently with a stainless steel piston in an aluminum 4 piston fixed caliper, particularly when the brake was hot. The piston and caliper bore surface finishes were rough like record grooves if you dragged your fingernail across the surface. You have not happened to change brake fluid type lately? Some fluid has different lubricating properties.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That is an interesting comment on the brake pad taper. On my front brakes on both the driver and passenger sides I noticed that the outer pad has uniform even wear. On the other hand the inner pad on each side of the car is about 1 mm thinner at the bottom than the top. The piston would have to push more on the bottom of those pads than on the top.

2009 Saffron Elise
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:54 AM

had this problem for a year. interim solution is simple. get brake or rim cleaner, preferably the one made by sonax which turns red when in contact with brake dust after 5 mins. spray it into the hole at the outer edge of the caliper. hose down with water after 5mins. should be creak free for a month. repeat as required.

hosing down the caliper with plenty of water during a weekly car wash should extend the intervals greatly.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
David,

This should solve your issue. Its really not that hard to remove the wheel, the brake pads and finally the caliper(two bolts).
Haha. I'm looking back at this thread. I was quite timid at that time about taking off the caliper. It is such a simple thing!

Since then I've done a number of things...removed the calipers for cleaning, replaced the rotors, replaced the front wheel bearings.

Last edited by David Craig; 05-03-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in