Front End Grip Question - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
I would suggest trying a little more tire pressure up front, sometimes its the simple things.
Before the OP even tries this, he needs to know his hot tire pressures. I reread the first post, I think the cold rear pressure is too high, but you need to know hot pressures to make worthwhile adjustments.

I am also unsure of the OP’s track experience. Someone in the right sear can be helpful to not only instruct but to also feel the car to confirm if adjustments need to be made to driving style or setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Just as others stated, more camber, V2 arms and machined arms. Also, the 15/17 setup seemed to help turn in significantly.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Before the OP even tries this, he needs to know his hot tire pressures. I reread the first post, I think the cold rear pressure is too high, but you need to know hot pressures to make worthwhile adjustments.

I am also unsure of the OP’s track experience. Someone in the right sear can be helpful to not only instruct but to also feel the car to confirm if adjustments need to be made to driving style or setup.
My expereience is pretty limited but I've done several HPDEs and AutoX's over the years.
My thought would be lower tire pressure, like I mentioned only about 10 laps in the car starts sliding more, and it's not hot enough for the tires to get greasy, and I'm driving cleanly, so to me that indicates I'm getting too much pressure.
But yeah at this point I need to start tracking warm pressures at least.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I ran RC8 rear and 6 front. I have some new RC8 here I can sell, and will include all the used pads that I have if you want to try some combos.
Thanks for this, I might be looking at this for next season. I've got to make a decision on if I should do the radially mounted calipers.
I might just spend the money and get the smaller (I think it's 38MM) AP caliper out back and do it right.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 AM

A surefire way to change dynamics is to adjust rear toe. If you feel the car is stable on entry (trail braking) then adjust to zero or even 1/16 out. Sounds crazy but I've found rear toe to be one of the most powerful tools in the chassis balancing tool box. Also, rake is real important as somebody already mentioned.

How old are your tires? I'm not a fan of the R888.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
A surefire way to change dynamics is to adjust rear toe. If you feel the car is stable on entry (trail braking) then adjust to zero or even 1/16 out. Sounds crazy but I've found rear toe to be one of the most powerful tools in the chassis balancing tool box. Also, rake is real important as somebody already mentioned.

Im not sure about 1/16 out on a track car, if I get below 1/8 in I have a lot of trouble.

No matter how many times you tell people that R888 are not the best and all of the 200TW autocross tires are better they still buy the R888 v0v

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Im not sure about 1/16 out on a track car, if I get below 1/8 in I have a lot of trouble.

No matter how many times you tell people that R888 are not the best and all of the 200TW autocross tires are better they still buy the R888 v0v
I hear you. I don't run less than 1/4" in (total) on my auto-x car and when I do, it moves around a lot. It's not bad but I can't beat on it like a gorilla, aka: my normal drive mode.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post

R888Rs have 6,000 street miles on them and 1 autox and 3 HPDEs on them so far.
2 Full seasons, still showing plenty of tread (For rcompounds). Stored over the winter in 60 degree storage.

Which is why I was curious about if they might be getting close to being heat cycled out just from driving around.

I don't trail brake the car at all, if I did, the back end might start to slide, or the car may still push.

Quote:

I am open to buying the RE71s next time around. I've heard good things about them, but it seems like (at least on heavier cars) they're easier to get greasy than most of the RCompounds and heavier cars are getting fewer heat cycles than a similar R-Comp.
It seems like all of these tires whether they're new 200 TW street tires or older R-Comps they seem to heat cycle out before wearing out, so the TW rating almost becomes a non factor.

But if guys have run both of them on this platform and like the Re71s more I'll prob pick those up next time.
R888Rs in the rain now are a bit sketchy. I may get 1 more season out of the R888Rs at most, so I'll be looking.

And while I'm looking, also thinking about just going to a 15/17 setup so I can get a 225 up front, and 245 or 255 (whatever I can fit out back). I don't particularly like the look of the Miata wheels or else that would be an easy choice.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Man! No trail braking? How does the car even turn?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
R888Rs have 6,000 street miles on them and 1 autox and 3 HPDEs on them so far.
2 Full seasons, still showing plenty of tread (For rcompounds). Stored over the winter in 60 degree storage.

Which is why I was curious about if they might be getting close to being heat cycled out just from driving around.

I don't trail brake the car at all, if I did, the back end might start to slide, or the car may still push.

I am open to buying the RE71s next time around. I've heard good things about them, but it seems like (at least on heavier cars) they're easier to get greasy than most of the RCompounds and heavier cars are getting fewer heat cycles than a similar R-Comp.
It seems like all of these tires whether they're new 200 TW street tires or older R-Comps they seem to heat cycle out before wearing out, so the TW rating almost becomes a non factor.

But if guys have run both of them on this platform and like the Re71s more I'll prob pick those up next time.
R888Rs in the rain now are a bit sketchy. I may get 1 more season out of the R888Rs at most, so I'll be looking.

And while I'm looking, also thinking about just going to a 15/17 setup so I can get a 225 up front, and 245 or 255 (whatever I can fit out back). I don't particularly like the look of the Miata wheels or else that would be an easy choice.
You are measuring your tire life in SEASONS? RE-71R now last me less then 10 hours now and I am on 50+WHP less then you. I would expect both of those tires to cord before they were unusable from heat cycling. There is a time difference between old and new, but they still drive the same through their life. Not like hoosiers which are like Fast - Fast - OK -OK - 4 more slow - DRIFTCAR.

Again not saying this to be mean, but I suspect that until you get your tire life down to say 15 hours or so you should just be working on using all the tire all the time and ignore the other stuff. I used to ask a lot of the same questions. Have you ever had a coach (not the free/cheap instructors). I was asking one the same stuff and he would never really answer. It's because I was so far from the limits that making changes would have been silly.
jds62f likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in