Going with new 888R's, pros and cons of keeping vs tossing old R888's - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDsales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Going with new 888R's, pros and cons of keeping vs tossing old R888's

Have 09 Exige. Old R888's are 5 years old, with 3-4/32 tread, new they are 6+/32. Purchased car with these. Put down 3K spirited road miles past 2 years and pretty sure the tires have NOT seen the track.

Plan future occasional track days, otherwise fun 3rd. car.

Interested in thoughts about keeping the tires, get a second set of rims and using for track (even for possible comparo purposes) or tossing / selling / donating?

Thanks all!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:42 AM

5 year old tires are junk. 5 year old track tires are dangerous.
I'd use it as tires to park the car on for extended period of time so the fresher set doesn't develop a flat spot.

Or you might have some luck selling it on craigslist for people who are looking to drift or otherwise burn it up really quick in a controlled environment.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM

ditto what Scotty said.. Those tires are hazardous on the track, get rid of them or just use them for tooling around town and a get separate track set.

If you want to test them try a local Autocross event. If they can't stick in those corners they never will hold up at the track.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

The comments confirm my thinking. So off and out with the old, in with the new! Stay tuned, and soon as the weather improves I'll break the new ones in then provide my "seat of the pants" review!

Thanks for the feedback!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:50 AM

It all depends on how you treat your tires. I purchased my R888's in May of 2013, and have put less than 10K miles on them since. The tires have great tread, no cracks or dry-rot, and still stick fantastically well for a street tire.

Having said that, my car is garage kept 100% of the time, and I have never tracked the car or done a single clutch-dump, so everything I have is in better-than-average condition.

Point is, there is no need to throw away tires with good tread on them unless you feel they aren't performing to the standard you are using them, or they have some safety issue like dry-rot. I've read that worn R888's don't like rain, but I don't drive in rain. If you do, then that might be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

2006 Exige
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I keep pretty much the same "car hygiene" as you VE, and maybe you are right. A comparo soonest on the new meats after they are broken in (hear they are slippery at first) will help decision. No harm / foul to keep em around as I have the garage space.

Thanks!

VisualEchos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in