Hankook Ventus Z214 - will they rub? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Hankook Ventus Z214 - will they rub?

Gents,

As I finally have my car running again I'm going to get some track time next weekend. By this time last season I'd done 21 days and right now this year I've gotten 42 minutes. Been having lots of little growing pains since my REV400 upgrade last fall but just got her back from BOE last weekend after some minor work and a re-tune on they dyno. I'd dropped from 360 down to 290 wheel thanks to the ECU relearning at altitude. Well Phil fixed that up and tweaked it a bit and viola I'm back to 360 - and holy sh!t can I feel the difference. Sorry, not the point - let me get to it.

So I'm considering the Hankook's as my local tire guy can get them to me for steal ($660/set all-in). I usually run R888s and am a big fan of them (bang for the buck especially), I've run the Yoko S01 slicks a few times and while they are amazing they are just way too expensive for DEs. That left me with the Hoosiers but I have to admit I didn't think they were worth it over the R888s. As such I decided I wouldn't run them as they just aren't worth the added cost. While I think the Hankook's might fall into that same category at this price I'm willing to give them a try. So my questions are:

Will they rub. As always they don't come in our sizes so I'm going to go with:

205/50/16
245/40/17

I've run similar sizes in the Hoosiers with no issues - my car is on the stock Track Pack '06 Exige Bilstiens which are lowered 10mm and corner balanced. I run up to -3.5 front and -3.0 rear camber when I pull all the shims out so I can get plenty of camber for them.

Final question is more general thoughts on these vs. the Hoosier's. Oh, for the Hoosiers I ran the R6s (never tried the A6s) and for these I'll run the C51 (softest) compound. Oh and being clear this is all for track duty, I'll put the R888s back on if I run her around on the street.

Thanks for any input you guys have,

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
Hey Ross,

I was just wondering the other day where your new track video posts were.... you have been delinquent. I have no personal experience with the Z214's but have been thinking about a set as I too can get a great deal on them. My thinking was "why the heck not? Cheap slicks to play on.... what could be the down side"?

Here is one data point.. Check out posts #244 and up in this thread for some discussion on those tires:

TWS Setup / Best Lap TImes CW/CCW - Page 14 - Texas World Speedway - TrackJunkies.Org

I can tell you that user robertcope is very experienced and fast in his Miata. Well, watch his video as he catches fast cars in the instructor group. I was there this weekend and a full 5 seconds slower than Robert in my more powerful Lotus on Hoosiers. For some reason I was driving terribly. Really, everyone weighing in there has a lot of track cred. Might not mean anything one way or the other, but did make me think.

Glad to see you are back!

Oh, it probably depends on ride height, but I don't think those sizes would rub on my car.....

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, it is nice to be *back* as it's been a very odd summer since I haven't been out to the track really at all. I just need my car to stay together and be solid the rest of the season. I know it'll break again at some point I just hope that's a ways down the road.

As for the tires I decided to go with them in the C71 compound (which I understand is the medium but the C91/softest aren't available in our sizes). I fired up a thread with Phil and BOE and here's a summary of what he had to say:
  • C51=medium, C71=soft C91=super soft
  • C71 is somewhere between R6 and A6
  • Run C71 over C51. Both are avail for us. C91 not avail in our sizes last I checked
  • R6s suck. A6s seem to last just as long on our cars. We just don't get the tires hot enough to need R6 even on 30 minute stints. So R6 last no longer and is just slower than A6.
  • Keep your eye out for A7s. They're replacing A6. They're WIDER than 6 series tires, FYI. A good bit wider
  • the 7 series tires seem to be a better/faster tire than the 6 they're replacing. New structure for both A and R. New compound on R only.
  • Back to Kooks. They run smallish. So those sizes should be fine. A little rubbing of the inners should be expected, but will be OK on the body work.
  • Kook C71s are 1 second slower than A6. Depending on the track and who's going, I take 8 fresh kooks or 8 fresh A6/7s to a race. If the competition is steep or trying to set a record, I take HooHoos. If it's a dumbass Roval like KS speedway this weekend, I take cheap as hell Kooks and don't care about the 1 second
  • They both heat cycle out after 1 or 2 cycles. R6s do the same. Again, R6s has no place on this car
  • Most won't consider heat cycling out the same way I do, cycle 2 is 1 second slower than 1 and 3 is another second slower. They flatten out at 3 seconds off stickers and will stay that way for 10 cycles or so before they are total sh!t
  • The BFGs are hoohoo prices but seem to be within 1 second of stickers for 6-10 cycles. Look at the R1-S.

After I run them I'll post back and let everyone know what my thoughts are. I'm going to try to be a little scientific about this and track my laptimes for each session to see if I can see the times fall off in the data and not just in the seat of my pants.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 06:50 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
That is some really great tire info. Sounds like if you want to get out and play....Hankook. If you want to get out and win....Hoosier. Pretty amazing (disappointing) how fast the sticky newness wears off of any competition tire. It's just the cost of speed!

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:15 AM

YES!

Mine are rubbing through the fender liners and into the bottom of the headlight buckets!
That is with Ride heights at 108F, 116R, on Nitrons. Can't remember the rates off the top of my head, I think they are the soft ones.

I really like the tires, a bit stickier than R6s and last almost as long, for half the price, but I am going back to hoosiers next year as I don't like having to run bump stops.

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Has anyone run a 205/50 15
245/45 16 combo with the Hankooks? That seems to be a good set up.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
Has anyone run a 205/50 15
245/45 16 combo with the Hankooks? That seems to be a good set up.
Yup, have run the C71 compound (soft) for a few year in those sizes. It was the offical tire for the Lotus Cup USA series for a year or so (picked up a lighted used set or two from some of the drivers, an even cheaper way to try them out). And am running a fresh set this year.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Andy (LotusCup) had mentioned them in the past. Leaning towards that setup.
Thanks for the info.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Sold my Exige S

Ross, I don't see you having rubbing problems if your Hoosiers didn't. I have Z214s 205/50/15 and 225/50/16 medium compound and think they're a great bargain for semi-fast guys like me, but track junkies say these Z214s cord too quick.

Was hoping to see your ride at HPR last week, but I was the only Lotus until an original 7 pulled in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by +TSRAGR View Post
Ross, I don't see you having rubbing problems if your Hoosiers didn't. I have Z214s 205/50/15 and 225/50/16 medium compound and think they're a great bargain for semi-fast guys like me, but track junkies say these Z214s cord too quick.

Was hoping to see your ride at HPR last week, but I was the only Lotus until an original 7 pulled in.
Sorry I missed you, I had a very odd season this year and only got 7 days in (last year I got 28 so big difference). With my new job and some health issues it just meant I couldn't get out as often as I would have liked. What part of town are you in? You doing the Eurofest thing in a few weeks?

As for the tires I ended the season out on my R888s, which I have to say I really do enjoy. I think it might be the best bang/buck tire I've ever run and while I know there are a million threads on tires (and we don't need another) I'm a big fan. That said next season I think I will try a set of these to see how much quicker they are than the R888s or Hoosier R6s (haven't tried the R7s yet) and the Yoko S01 slicks. The issue for me comes down to bang for the buck as sure, I'd like to be faster but as I"m generally not competing that speed is all relative. This weekend I ran Orange group with PCA (where I usually run Black, which is the fastest, Orange is second fastest) - I spent two days beating up on Boxsters, Caymen and 911s as I was 2-20 seconds faster than everyone in the group. So even on my "slow" R888s I had a total blast.

-Ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in